Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's most important?
Looks 26 28.26%
Personality 66 71.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,164,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
But those are women you find attractive.

Have you ever romantically pursued a woman who you were not physically attracted to?

You don't get it.

Yes, I found them attractive because of who they are.

Finding someone attractive and having them be objectively good looking are two different things. Very different.

So yes, I've pursued people that weren't by societal standards objectively good looking, because I was attracted to them. They had great personalities and we had chemistry.

This is NOT uncommon at all. People don't initially catch each other's eye, but you talk, and hit it off, and there is chemistry, and they look different to you over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,655,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
If you really believe that 99-100% of men are THAT unbelievably shallow, then you might as well just give up on trying to find a meaningful LTR.
Okay. How is it not true? Whats the reason to doubt men prefer looks?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Okay. How is it not true? Whats the reason to doubt men prefer looks?

Real life experience is my reason. Mine. My friends. What I see around.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:26 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,259,090 times
Quote:
How can there be so much deception in the poll?!

99-100% of men will and do prefer BEAUTY over personality, no matter what. Which leads me to believe the majority of voters are women, with less than 15% of the Personality votes being men.

With that said, I have rejected a guy for looks before, when I was teenager. I still would not go out with him now if he asked. I just did not think happily of the thought of kissing him. There are men who think the same way about me, definitely. But its honest. All of these votes for personality are dishonest, imo. The way a person acts, thinks, speaks will keep the relationship, but without being physically desireable to someone first, you wont get a relationship and theres no interest in your personality.

Guys claim to prefer personality, yet all the women they see as unattractive, they keep in the "friendzone" or only use them for sex, and even admit how well they click with the woman; yet, because of her looks, will never pursue that personality romantically.
The question didn't ask whether or not looks were important at all - simply which is the MOST important. Saying that personality is the most important thing does not therefore mean that looks do not matter at all.

We are all free to answer for ourselves - calling other people liars for their answers is uncalled for.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,503,031 times
This is a silly question, personality for a long term relationship is more important for looks, for a hook up obviously it would be looks.

37,409 posts, read 53,810,270 times
Attraction is important.

What that attraction is to can vary greatly.

2,401 posts, read 3,655,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You don't get it.

Yes, I found them attractive because of who they are.

Finding someone attractive and having them be objectively good looking are two different things. Very different.

So yes, I've pursued people that weren't by societal standards objectively good looking, because I was attracted to them. They had great personalities and we had chemistry.

This is NOT uncommon at all. People don't initially catch each other's eye, but you talk, and hit it off, and there is chemistry, and they look different to you over time.
What Im getting from this is that you were attracted to them, but that in addition you also liked their personality. Meeting a societal standard of beauty has nothing to do with whether you as an individual are attracted to someones looks. If you werent attracted to the way they look, what attracted you to get to know their personality in the first place?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,810,270 times
Quote:
If you werent attracted to the way they look, what attracted you to get to know their personality in the first place?
Perhaps interaction? Most people interact with a variety of people all the time, regardless of physical appearance.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
What Im getting from this is that you were attracted to them, but that in addition you also liked their personality. Meeting a societal standard of beauty has nothing to do with whether you as an individual are attracted to someones looks. If you werent attracted to the way they look, what attracted you to get to know their personality in the first place?

I was attracted to them because of their personality. For many of them, I would never have given them a second glance if just out and about.

To answer the bolded, we just ended up talking and hitting it off. The last woman I mentioned she sat (with her friend) next to me at a bar and we started talking and it clicked. Dated about 9 mos, and we've become good friends.

That's usually how these things happen. You're out and about at fairs, shows, bars, whatever event and you're talking to people (young, old, male, female, whatever) and sometimes something just clicks and there is chemistry.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,259,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Perhaps interaction? Most people interact with a variety of people all the time, regardless of physical appearance.
It seems that some people on this thread will only talk to attractive people. I find that odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships