Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhurd View Post
Girls are more attracted to manly men
Girls are attracted to confident men. Grow some thicker skin and learn to take a little ribbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 11:13 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
I replied please don't call me weird or goofy,i don't like that. She said don't be so sensitive. I'm just teasing you. That's how i am. You should know this by now.
Yeah, you know what? She's a jackass. You set up a boundary, and she attempted to diminish because she has no respect for you. Why does she even care whether you use a wallet? If you've been together a while, SHE should know this by now, and there is no need for commentary on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Just start calling her dizzy or klutzy or something. When she gets bothered tell her not to be so sensitive and you're just playing around.
Yep. That's the only language people like that understand.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
No. Perhaps you were too sensitive, or perhaps her comedic delivery was off. I've been guilty of the latter many times, not out of malicious intent but because what is funny to me might not be funny to someone else. (Side note: when the Mr. and I were first dating, he was still a very brooding, melancholy lad. I had cracked a joke that was a reference to a line from a TV show, and he took it the wrong way and actually broke up with me over it. A couple of weeks later we finally hashed it out, and I told him flat out that he needs to loosen up because no one should be taking life that seriously at 19.)

Go home, explain that certain topics are bit sensitive for you, and she'll most likely apologize, too. Then go have some make-up sex.
Quote:
Should i change who i am

Be more manly don't show feelings?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
When my husband and I first started dating - he didn't like when I called him "stupid" - even as a joke (I only did it as a joke - it's not like I went around calling him stupid and meaning it!). He said that it's just something that he's sensitive about even though he knows deep down that I don't think he's stupid. So I stopped calling him stupid. Time went on and now he wouldn't care if I did because he REALLY knows that I don't think he's stupid. But he was sensitive about it and I respected his wishes.

So - either your girlfriend was just trying to lighten the mood because she felt uncomfortable or she didn't respect that you were serious. Have a talk with her and just explain that you are all for joking around - but that you don't like that kind of joking around. Everyone has things that they are sensitive about.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
NO. You don't change how you are. You just make better attempts to communicate with her about your likes and dislikes. Talk. Talk. Then talk some more.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Girls are attracted to confident men. Grow some thicker skin and learn to take a little ribbing.
Girls are also attracted to men who stand up for themselves and aren't pushovers.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
When my husband and I first started dating - he didn't like when I called him "stupid" - even as a joke (I only did it as a joke - it's not like I went around calling him stupid and meaning it!). He said that it's just something that he's sensitive about even though he knows deep down that I don't think he's stupid. So I stopped calling him stupid. .
For one of my best friends and her husband, their affectionate pet name for each other is "dork." I know it's him calling when she answers the phone, "What's up, dorkus?"

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
OP - well it's good you know where your "buttons" are you don't like being called certain names, even though your girlfriend is saying so in a fun way. I'm sure if she didn't like being called certain names and said so you would respect that.

I think it's good that you said something, and she heard you. A good relationship has good communication and respect.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Quote:
Should i change who i am

Be more manly don't show feelings?

Apparently, I have this all wrong, I thought you we're already full of p**s and vinegar?

I thought you we're trying to avoid a blow out and you needed to cool out.

Apparently, you've been taking a lot of grief and nonsense of this woman?

Your already a man, nut up and ratchet down, walk like a man, with your back straight and head high.

You don't have to change for anybody, why would you? if this chick thinks your a joke, get rid of her.

Your no ones clown, like Lilac 110 said, she's a jackass if she takes joy by laughing in your face.

Tell her to put the coffee on. Press your slacks. And close the door behind her. End Game-Period Stop.

Show some mettle and back bone-

Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
You did get a tad bit sensitive over the matter...but as for the manly thing--that's not what it's about.

I'm often called goofy, weird, and silly by everyone. I don't mind it at all. I actually take it as a compliment because I want people to feel comfortable with me. I want the atmosphere to be refreshing, not oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships