Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:06 PM

20 posts, read 12,286 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend have been together for 10 months already. We love each other, we make future plans and etc. I am a Masters student and he has a very good job already. We are having long distance relationship for last 3 months. I am super happy in this relationship and I am sure he is too, yet we are facing the problem that drives me crazy. As I am a student I can not afford flying and seeing him, so I had to tell him to fly in instead. Here is his response: " I might fly you over here then. The weather is much better." We stayed together for 11 days and we split everything 50/50: groceries, dinners and etc. I don't mind paying 50/50 but he says stuff like "Here is favorite part of the date, splitting the bill", "Babe, why didn't you buy that nailpolish? it was 10$? When you work you won't pay attention to price. You will just get it.", "It is ok I will pay for dinner tonight. You can get lunch tomorrow". That really pisses me off, as I am tired of counting and thinking "Oh , he payed today so I need to pay tomorrow". I just don't feel like it is natural . Obviously, I get mad at it and he asks me to talk to him and explain what is wrong. But I am not sure how to start the conversation about it... And what if he says "Why are you nagging, I paid for your ticket?"

Has anyone been in situation like that?

P.S.

The reason I am scared of him paying for the ticket is that my ex when we broke up gave me a list of things he paid for. And as I am too proud , I decided to pay him all back. I just dont want to be in the same situation again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 01:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Keeping financial score is not love it is keeping financial score. If you cannot afford the ticket then don't go and if he pays for your ticket then throws it in your face all the time it is not a good sign. Time to decide if you want to live the rest of your life keeping financial score.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:27 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
You need to sit down and logically discuss what you can and can't afford and what you are not comfortable doing together with SPECIFIC reasons as to why.

If you're going to be a couple, you're going to have to come to some consesus on how your finances are going to work together.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 PM

People tell me if I can't afford LDR I shouldn't have one. Well when we started dating we didn't know he will be offered a job in another state. Plus, I am not saying he should pay for me all the time. I am just not happy that he keeps reminding me "you can pay for the next time; love splitting bills" or etc. It makes me very uncomfortable.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You need to sit down and logically discuss what you can and can't afford and what you are not comfortable doing together.
If you're going to be a couple, you're going to have to come to some consesus on how your finances are going to work together.
And by doing this, it will define how your relationship will progress. I had the same conversation in the last couple of months and it showed that our relationship was at a stopping point. Money is one of those issues that takes time to correct itself. Maybe you're just starting out in your career or have a lot of student loan debt, but money issues in a relationship is something you can't sleep on. It needs to be discussed early if you notice that it's causing issues within your relationship.

This is also one of those scenarios where both people have to be on the same page. One person can't plug the financial hole by themselves.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM

454 posts, read 311,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny123321 View Post
Me and my boyfriend have been together for 10 months already. We love each other, we make future plans and etc. I am a Masters student and he has a very good job already. We are having long distance relationship for last 3 months. I am super happy in this relationship and I am sure he is too, yet we are facing the problem that drives me crazy. As I am a student I can not afford flying and seeing him, so I had to tell him to fly in instead. Here is his response: " I might fly you over here then. The weather is much better." We stayed together for 11 days and we split everything 50/50: groceries, dinners and etc. I don't mind paying 50/50 but he says stuff like "Here is favorite part of the date, splitting the bill", "Babe, why didn't you buy that nailpolish? it was 10$? When you work you won't pay attention to price. You will just get it.", "It is ok I will pay for dinner tonight. You can get lunch tomorrow". That really pisses me off, as I am tired of counting and thinking "Oh , he payed today so I need to pay tomorrow". I just don't feel like it is natural . Obviously, I get mad at it and he asks me to talk to him and explain what is wrong. But I am not sure how to start the conversation about it... And what if he says "Why are you nagging, I paid for your ticket?"

Has anyone been in situation like that?

P.S.

The reason I am scared of him paying for the ticket is that my ex when we broke up gave me a list of things he paid for. And as I am too proud , I decided to pay him all back. I just dont want to be in the same situation again.
Is he an accountant? It's a huge turnoff to constantly be bean counting while dating. He sounds like George Costanza.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny123321 View Post
People tell me if I can't afford LDR I shouldn't have one. Well when we started dating we didn't know he will be offered a job in another state. Plus, I am not saying he should pay for me all the time. I am just not happy that he keeps reminding me "you can pay for the next time; love splitting bills" or etc. It makes me very uncomfortable.
Is that becuase you are really not happy with the idea of how you have set your 50/50 agreement?
Or
Becuase you just don't like to be told what you should be doing?

Where does the discomfort come from? And what IS that discomfort?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
Is he an accountant? It's a huge turnoff to constantly be bean counting while dating. He sounds like George Costanza.
He is software engineer.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM

772 posts, read 914,534 times
He should be paying for everything , geez how childish .. .

I am a male, and I don't expect my Girlfriend to pay for dinner, or open the car dore for me. . .

If she offers to pay, then I let her, otherwise I assume, and am happy to pay for everything . ... if it bothered me, than why am I with her ?

Old 03-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Is that becuase you are really not happy with the idea of how you have set your 50/50 agreement?
Or
Becuase you just don't like to be told what you should be doing?

Where does the discomfort come from? And what IS that discomfort?
Here is the discomfort:
1) I don't like to be constantly reminded what to do, as I am not a kid and even without his reminding I'd pay for my half.
2) We were in the store and we got 2 cokes and 2 chocolate bars. Total was 6$ and we splitted it. To me it is weird to split this small amount of money. I 'd understand if I bought those with a friend and we 'd split it. But with bf...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships