Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I don't think they're ugly, at least not to me. However like I said they're probably not guys that are super attractive, but there is always something I find physically appealing about them, and I am physically attracted to them as well. I just rather be attracted somewhat attracted to the physical and super attracted to the personality, rather than the other way around. And in my experience I have very rarely dated anybody who equally possessed both.
Attractive isn't about what other people find appealing.

Attractive is what's appealing to you. Period. Why would you aspire to date somebody ELSE'S idea of attractive and not your own? That doesn't even make any sense.

If guys whose appearances are agreeable to you and whose personalities blow you out of the water are what is most attractive to you, go for that, and quit overthinking it or trying to consciously alter what you find attractive to better match what other people are telling you you SHOULD find attractive. It won't work, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
I don't think they're ugly, at least not to me. However like I said they're probably not guys that are super attractive, but there is always something I find physically appealing about them, and I am physically attracted to them as well. I just rather be attracted somewhat attracted to the physical and super attracted to the personality, rather than the other way around. And in my experience I have very rarely dated anybody who equally possessed both.
I'm sure you will find somebody. Question. Do you find yourself really attractive? Or if you don't think it. Do people make you feel like you are?

3,218 posts, read 2,810,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The problem as I see it is this:

Smart and funny men are not only often depressed, more importantly they are cynical. They can make others laugh, but it is part and parcel of being disillusioned and deeply negative about the many flaws they see in society and life.

I get it, because I find them attractive, too. They are not only clever and entertaining but obviously there is something of the confidence and performance artistry there if they are outgoing enough to express themselves vocally to others even in mere social situations if not on open mic night. You convince yourself because humor is involved that this person is actually positive in some way when in fact they are a thin coat of happy-paint over a deeply miserable soul.

Why is this a problem?

It depends...do you want to be happy?

I'm an optimistic person who enjoys life and wants happiness. I don't believe, despite our many flaws, difficulties, and problems in the world, that we are doomed or that life is just a slog towards death or an opportunity to prepare for battle. I like to go on adventures, feel the sun on my face, I like to LIVE. Many women get into these funny men because we like to laugh, it is a positive experience for us. But therein lies the problem. You're a person who wants to laugh and be happy, who is getting involved with someone who uses humor to process utter misery. Not only does this man have no true happiness in him to share with you, he does not believe in happiness at all. Not really. Not sincerely. Your efforts to show him that the world can be awesome and fun, will cause him to think you're an idiot who just can't accept how jacked up it all is, because you choose not to wallow in dark stuff all the time. He will either try to drag you down, or dismiss you as foolish because you aren't freaked out or depressed like he is, inside.

Look, I'm not saying to seek stupid or boring people to pair up with. I could not take any such advice and I'd never give it. But any female who finds herself attracted to "smart and funny"...be on the lookout for the dark side. You can't save the guys who are sunk in that, eventually it will overpower you and make you miserable. Don't try. Don't invest yourself trying to save them from themselves, because you can't.

While I agree there's some cynicism in comedy, I think what you're saying is an over generalization. I have met funny men, who have traveled the world, enjoyed it and are for the most part happy people.

Also as for being cynical, maybe I relate to them on some level because I have cynical side to me as well, so its sometimes a common ground for us. My grandfather, mother and I are the same in that we can at times have a cynical sense of humor, it just runs in my family. I have even considered being a stand up comic (although I have extreme stage freight and doubt I'd be able to do it), however I have done quite a bit of writing as an outlet for me. That being said, I think I'm a happy person for the most part, I get upset and angry at times like everyone else, and I believe everybody has a cynical side to them, we just all have a different way of dealing with it.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I'm sure you will find somebody. Question. Do you find yourself really attractive?
I do, I know I am attractive, but I can't help what I'm attracted to.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
While I agree there's some cynicism in comedy, I think what you're saying is an over generalization. I have met funny men, who have traveled the world, enjoyed it and are for the most part happy people.

Also as for being cynical, maybe I relate to them on some level because I have cynical side to me as well, so its sometimes a common ground for us. My grandfather, mother and I are the same in that we can at times have a cynical sense of humor, it just runs in my family. I have even considered being a stand up comic (although I have extreme stage freight and doubt I'd be able to do it), however I have done quite a bit of writing as an outlet for me. That being said, I think I'm a happy person for the most part, I get upset and angry at times like everyone else, and I believe everybody has a cynical side to them, we just all have a different way of dealing with it.
Totally an overgeneralization.

My husband is hilarious and intelligent, and he's the most upbeat, happy-go-lucky, least moody person I've ever met. He couldn't even act the part of cynical if he tried. He is a complete ray of sunshine who makes me smile whenever I'm around him.

I lived with a cynical man for a long time. And he wasn't nearly as smart (or funny) as he thought he was.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Attractive isn't about what other people find appealing.

Attractive is what's appealing to you. Period. Why would you aspire to date somebody ELSE'S idea of attractive and not your own? That doesn't even make any sense.

If guys whose appearances are agreeable to you and whose personalities blow you out of the water are what is most attractive to you, go for that, and quit overthinking it or trying to consciously alter what you find attractive to better match what other people are telling you you SHOULD find attractive. It won't work, anyway.
That sums it up! Thank You.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Totally an overgeneralization.

My husband is hilarious and intelligent, and he's the most upbeat, happy-go-lucky, least moody person I've ever met. He couldn't even act the part of cynical if he tried. He is a complete ray of sunshine who makes me smile whenever I'm around him.

I lived with a cynical man for a long time. And he wasn't nearly as smart (or funny) as he thought he was.
Ugh that's worst, can't tell you how many times I've heard men talk about what a great sense of humor they have, only to find out that they were the only ones who thought they were funny haha!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Ugh that's worst, can't tell you how many times I've heard men talk about what a great sense of humor they have, only to find out that they were the only ones who thought they were funny haha!

True enough. But there is something to the depression and comedic genius thing. The funniest people I've known, for the most part, suffered from some mental issues, just as the best artists usually do.

The positive / upbeat "funny" people I've met are the ones that thought they were funny, but weren't. (For the most part)

Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:

Yeah, I mean some of them can be really bad that way. Like I said, not saying to avoid funny men because that's just how they are...no, nothing quite that extreme at all...just saying to WATCH for buried negativity and cynicism. Sometimes it's not obvious when you are first getting to know somebody. It can make a mess of a long term relationship though, if you don't see it in time.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 AM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
I do, I know I am attractive, but I can't help what I'm attracted to.
Yeah true. Just wondering. You should have your pick of the litter than. Maybe all you found were duds. With your attitude I'm sure you give a lot of people a chance. So I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Just haven't found the right person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships