Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Sure there are! This goes double for when I've only had one date with the guys. I've been in many situations where I had what you call "chemistry" with multiple people. Not going to keep one around after he introduces a negative into the equation, and being clueless about form and safety is a negative.

I feel that any woman who gets offended by a man offering is an idiot. A fat lot of good her "independence" is going to be when some serial killer jumps out of a bush with a gun.

You're a man. You don't have to worry about this stuff the way women do. You might get mugged in a bad neighborhood. The chances of you getting tortured or raped until you're dead and then left in pieces in separate plastic bags along the highway are infinitesimal compared to those of a woman. Granted, they're not that high for a woman, but in comparison? Oh, hell no. Men are, by and large, a heck of a lot more safe walking down any given street at any given time than a woman. I don't let paranoia run my life, but if a man is oblivious to this reality and cavalier about his date's security, he's going to be oblivious and cavalier about a lot of things that are important to women in general and me in particular. Forget it.

That, too.

And I will never value my own safety so little that I would accept such cluelessness just to have someone. They either meet my criteria or they don't. Life is short, time is scarce. Be right by me or be gone.
Yup! On top of that lets say something does happen to your date, you know who the cops are going to question first? The guy she was on date with, and I don't think any of you guys want to spend your whole day answering questions at a police station, am I right? While I understand that's an extreme scenario, it can and does happen, so why not rather be safe than sorry? Is walking a couple of extra minutes to make sure she gets where she has to go really going to put you out that much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well the odds of a serial killer, or rapist, jumping out is effectively zero.
This highly depends on what part of the country you live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A woman is far more likely to get killed or raped by her date than a stranger. Sadly.

And yes, I've had several women be like "I can take care of myself" and be offended as if I were patronizing them (and I'm sure they could). No offense was intended. Maybe this is regional. I never ran into that in the Midwest, but in Boston it isn't uncommon.

Again, I offer when a car is involved. It's never accepted though, unless making out is going to happen.
Yes that may be true, but I'd say if by the end of the date he hasn't raped or killed you, you're in the clear and its ok for him to walk you to your car.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Yes that may be true, but I'd say if by the end of the date he hasn't raped or killed you, you're in the clear and its ok for him to walk you to your car.

Eh, its more likely to happen then.

Quote:
This highly depends on what part of the country you live in.
Not too much. Murder or rape by strangers is rare. Acquaintance rape is far more common everywhere.

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
This would be a valid complaint 40 years ago when women were not competing with men and we delighted in looking after and protecting them. But this is the modern age of equality where women want whatever used to go just for men. Equal pay, shared bathrooms, co-ed spaces along with non gender-specific androgynous everything. And I am not here to challenge that . But why should it be rude if a man chooses not to assist a woman with anything and be disdained as unchivalrous? (it should work both ways) ...Mace, martial arts classes, safe neighborhoods and secure apartment complexes are still available.

Last edited by Mr. Opinionated; 06-25-2015 at 10:19 AM..

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Well, I can't stand incorrect facts...

In the US, men are more likely to be murdered on the streets by a random killer than women. Men are actually twice as likely to be killed than women (when it comes to random strangers on the street).

HOWEVER

When it comes to rape, according to the CDC women are much more likely to be raped (91% women, 9% men) and more rapes occur than murders. Plus, there is the whole concept of being sexually harassed/and sexual assault (but not rape) on the streets (just watched a video on this last night and it's amazing how lewd some men are to random women on the streets with comments and touching... and how it completely comes to a stop when she's walking with a man). Crazy.

Point being, you leave a better impression on your date if you walk her to her car and everything goes smoothly and everyone goes home happy than if you don't and she gets groped on the way by a drunk.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
This would be a valid complaint 40 years ago when women were not competing with men and we delighted in looking after and protecting them. But this is the modern age of equality where women want whatever used to go just for men. Equal pay, shared bathrooms, co-ed spaces along with non gender-specific androgynous everything. And I am not here to challenge that . But why should it be rude if a man chooses not to assist a woman with anything and be disdained as unchivalrous? Mace, martial arts classes and security apartment complexes are still available.

Let's take this to it's logical conclusion, men who think there should be no chivalry in dating should be very interested in women who also dress like men, wear no makeup, and act "butch." If you aren't going to do your masculine part in courtship, why would you expect a woman to do her feminine part?

If you are dating feminine women who like their femininity and likes femininity and masculinity to be apart, you are going to make a bad impression. Just as much as that "masculine woman" would on traditional man. It's as simple as that.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:

I'd say by the end of the evening, if your date hasn't attempted rape or murder, he's just not that into you..

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Question for the ladies...

Let say I have a female friend. Not close. Nothing between us.. not dating.. not FWB.. no kissing.. no potential for relationship... nothing. We were just hanging out with some other friends who called it a night early. It was a good time. I walk her to the bus stop and wait with her. She still has a considerable walk from the bus arrival to her apartment.

Would it seem creepy to ask her to text me when she gets home? Its a habit I have with my closer friends but I've opted not too ask thinking maybe it would creep her out.... Keep in mind, at this point I don't even know her cell number.
IMO no it would not be creepy. If you creeped me out you wouldn't be my friend to start with. Now if you were a total stranger and asked me but then if you were a stranger and tried to walk me to the bus stop I might be a little nervous.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Because there are so many good reasons to reject people.
"Good" is subjective.

There are a million reasons you CAN reject anyone, or anything.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
This would be a valid complaint 40 years ago when women were not competing with men and we delighted in looking after and protecting them. But this is the modern age of equality where women want whatever used to go just for men. Equal pay, shared bathrooms, co-ed spaces along with non gender-specific androgynous everything. And I am not here to challenge that . But why should it be rude if a man chooses not to assist a woman with anything and be disdained as unchivalrous? (it should work both ways) ...Mace, martial arts classes, safe neighborhoods and secure apartment complexes are still available.

These are also the guys who go out on a date with a woman, act more like her buddy than a date, and then for the life of them can't understand why she won't return their calls/texts or why she "friendzoned" them.

If you want date a woman and not display one ounce of chivalry, go ahead....I can't imagine you'll be very successful at it, or that you would attract a woman you really want to be dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships