Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People go with what works for them. With my calculated budgets, what I make is enough to support us and get by middle class, save for a house and have some money left over.

With her and I working, we can have the money to take a trip to a foreign country once a year and have money for a house, save for investing in a business and have money for random fun activities.

It's the type of lifestyle you want to live. Why in god's name would I work my ass off to lower my standard of living so she can sit at home?

Why would she choose sitting at home and doing nothing over living an exciting life?

If I was making 175-200k, sure... I'd have her stay home.. but being realistic, I'm not making 175k(and most people who aren't lying about their income aren't either) and her income is enough to highly increase the standard of living.

I just have a hard time truly understanding what benefits there are to having a wife stay home? Can't wrap my mind around it.
I'm curious. Why is it acceptable at that income level but not less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted30110 View Post
How come breadwinners don't exist anymore for men in the household? It seems that men can't be considered head of the household anymore. Marriages seem to just be co existant. The husband does what he wants and the wife does what she wants. If that is the case marriage should be overrated. It doesn't seem companionship. If someone wants that and with co existant, the person should just continue dating for extended time and not make it legal the relationship. Or again companionship , basically just get a dog then.
All the bacon and bread aside, being a breadwinner is extremely stressful and soul crushing, having to stick with a high-paying but high stress job to support dependents is a likely route to multiple heart attacks and/or early death. Up until recently, many men died in 50's or 60's while women regularly lived into their 70's and 80's.

I prefer to live much healthier than all that. One order of double income with no kids, please.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm curious. Why is it acceptable at that income level but not less?

Because less than that, she would make enough for it to make a difference. After the 150k mark it would be menial.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
The future Mr.Sommie and I are not going has this problems because we are going to be childfree

Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 PM

I just can't see the appeal to busting your a** while the wife sits home around the house and acts like cleaning was as hard as your 12 hour shift of work.

If you can make 150-200k at 40 hours, then sure her 35k that she pulls in won't be anything. You'd be better off helping her start an online business or something along those lines where she's happy and can still feel like she's pulling in money.

If you're struggling and working 55 to 60 hours a week to make 80k .. then I just see it as unfair.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just can't see the appeal to busting your a** while the wife sits home around the house and acts like cleaning was as hard as your 12 hour shift of work.
Most of the men who saw appeal in that way of life ended up dying of heart attack(s) before retirement age.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Most of the men who saw appeal in that way of life ended up dying of heart attack(s) before retirement age.
What difference does it make whether or not their wives worked? For instance, I stay at home with our little ones and my husband works. Even if I worked, too - how would that make his job any easier? His job is what it is. If I worked as well - his job wouldn't change. He wouldn't all of a sudden not have to work the hours that he works. With me staying home with the children, he doesn't have to do most of the household chores or cook or clean. That makes his life a lot easier. If I worked, too - which I might when the children are older - it's probably going to make things harder for him, not easier.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
What difference does it make whether or not their wives worked? For instance, I stay at home with our little ones and my husband works. Even if I worked, too - how would that make his job any easier? His job is what it is. If I worked as well - his job wouldn't change. He wouldn't all of a sudden not have to work the hours that he works. With me staying home with the children, he doesn't have to do most of the household chores or cook or clean. That makes his life a lot easier. If I worked, too - which I might when the children are older - it's probably going to make things harder for him, not easier.

It all depends on the workload forced to take on. If the guy is making lower wages and barely scraping by and forced to take on tons of overtime just to keep the family afloat while the wife just stays home.. it's much harder on him.

Many times, a woman who stays home with (young) children is not a bad option because if you factor in day care costs, it doesn't make sense for her to work. Oftentimes they will be working to just pay for daycare. I think it's good to have the mom around while the kids are very young.

After they're all around 9 or 10 years old.. it's a good time for the mom to start working again. That way she can gain experience again in work and by the time the kids are 16, 17 years old she's making enough to really bring in some bucks and then the husband and wife can finally enjoy exotic vacations again together.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Um, we can do that anyway.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Learning the responsibility of looking out for each other was good for my sisters and me because it taught us self reliance. My mom also taught us never to depend solely upon anyone else to take care of us but ourselves and that included husbands. Besides if only one person in a household is capable of sustaining that household and something happens to that person, whether it's the husband or wife, that family will be in trouble.

It only makes sense in this day and age especially with the cost of living so high that both parents are capable of contributing to the household expenses and taking care of the household needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships