Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 11,369 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they had some great values they taught me, such as to look someone in the eye or give a firm handshake. But they were and especially my mom is WAAAAAY to religious (Roman Catholic) and she always tries to guilt me even now. I havent believed in any of that stuff, even when I was a kid I questioned everything. I personally believe that things like sex and sexual openness are key and essential for a healthy life. However when push comes to shove (no pun intended) I always feel this guilt inside or regret doing like I never deserved it in the first place. They always say the girl you are with should be your best friend, this girl is like that in every way and I should be falling hard for her but I cant. I remember she called me "hunny" the other day and it kinda freaked me out, it made me think of parents and was quite a turnoff. Maybe the fault lies with them, because they never showed affection and all they do is fight now and threaten each other. I remember last year when I went out with that one girl who gave me my first kiss my mom gave me the hardest time in the world and really made something that was supposed to be a great time in my life a living nightmare. Eveynight i had to come home to her yelling and insulting the girl that i loved. I couldnt even enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 12:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
There are no quick fixes but if it helps any, my husband grew up in a similar environment: very cold, religious, strict, and devoid of affection. Therapy can help a lot, as well as having a partner who is patient and willing to let you take baby steps toward normal expressions of affection.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:27 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,769,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair427 View Post
Yeah, they had some great values they taught me, such as to look someone in the eye or give a firm handshake. But they were and especially my mom is WAAAAAY to religious (Roman Catholic) and she always tries to guilt me even now. I haven't believed in any of that stuff, even when I was a kid I questioned everything. I personally believe that things like sex and sexual openness are key and essential for a healthy life. However when push comes to shove (no pun intended) I always feel this guilt inside or regret doing like I never deserved it in the first place. They always say the girl you are with should be your best friend, this girl is like that in every way and I should be falling hard for her but I cant. I remember she called me "hunny" the other day and it kinda freaked me out, it made me think of parents and was quite a turnoff. Maybe the fault lies with them, because they never showed affection and all they do is fight now and threaten each other. I remember last year when I went out with that one girl who gave me my first kiss my mom gave me the hardest time in the world and really made something that was supposed to be a great time in my life a living nightmare. Every-night i had to come home to her yelling and insulting the girl that i loved. I couldn't even enjoy it.
Your parents sound like my father minus the religious part.

Affection is very important to maintaining a relationship.

There is a time and a place for everything including when to be affectionate.

At least you were not hooking up with a female.

That is something your parents need to consider.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 11,369 times
Thats it! I mean i really just never knew how to express myself in that way, because I was always forced to hold in how i felt because everytime i did something bad happened as a result. Ive been kind of a loner for 25 years and because of my career its hard to be at home all the time to devote myself to someone.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:56 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Make sure your girlfriend understands. That's all that matters. She sounds like she's the type who'd love to see you flourish.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:33 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
I agree that you should explore therapy. It sounds like you know the root of the issues, so that's a good start. A decent therapist will be able to help you learn to overcome the guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships