Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

1,913 posts, read 1,276,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
What I find funny about this whole "men don't want to marry" or "men are on strike" stuff is that it doesn't hold up to statistics.

Case #1

Match.com polled people and more men are interested in marriage than women

Men Want Marriage More Than Women, Study Finds*|*Christie Garton

Case #2

2/3 of divorced men want to remarry and only 1/2 of women do:

men-like-remarrying-more-than-women

Listen, I don't want to get married. It's my choice. But I am not going to sit back and pretend that it's some kind of "strike" or that I need to justify it by making up stats like 50% of marriages end in divorce and men lose all their money when it happens... because, you know, I have enough confidence in my personal choice that I don't feel the need to make up stuff to justify it and try to scare others into thinking there is some great conspiracy out to get people. Methinks some people protest too much.
Of course. It's harder to get a divorce than just simply breaking up. If a guy is with a girl, don't you think you think he would want to make it harder for her to leave? So he doesn't have to bend over backwards, pay for dinners and drinks, hold car doors, play by the call/text rule, chase, be perfect for her, and try to impress all over again if he became single again hahahahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Of the divorced couples I know, it was pretty rare that one spouse was at fault or caused the divorce through their own choices or actions. It usually came after years of fighting, anger, resentment, with both parties contributing to the strife. When the Mr. and I separated (spoiler alert: we reconciled), neither one of us was really at fault; just a whole bunch of issues were spilling over.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 06-30-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Except that men really benefit economically from getting married if you look at the statistics. Women tend to get the raw end of the deal.

So, if you mean by "true", "absolutely incorrect in almost every way", you would be correct.

All I know is that marriage was great for my ex-husband's credit rating and terrible for my wallet.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I never said that either. My point is that the person who files is not necessarily the person who caused the divorce. I've never seen any data about who causes most of the divorces. I would also venture to say that most divorces are caused by both people. You are the one who claimed that women caused most of the divorces. I never claimed to know.
I hear what you are saying. All I'm saying is in order for a divorce to happen, it has to be filed first. Why would the person that files for divorce file for it and not want it? They would most likely attempt to work it out instead. The person that "causes" the divorce would most likely be the one that "files" for divorce since it seems like they would want out badly. Divorce is not cheap.
And another thought is that undeniably, women are in the driver seat when it comes to dating/choosing mates/marrying. It's much harder for men in this aspect of life so most likely, a man won't be the filer. Or as I want to call it, the "initiator".

Don't get me wrong though, I do hear what you're saying

Old 06-30-2015, 02:21 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Of course. It's harder to get a divorce than just simply breaking up. If a guy is with a girl, don't you think you think he would want to make it harder for her to leave? So he doesn't have to bend over backwards, pay for dinners and drinks, hold car doors, play by the call/text rule, chase, be perfect for her, and try to impress all over again if he became single again hahahahaha!
LOL... or maybe it's all about watching the waistline. I've had three dates this week and all this eating out is making me work out twice as hard (just to keep up).

Old 06-30-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
LOL... or maybe it's all about watching the waistline. I've had three dates this week and all this eating out is making me work out twice as hard (just to keep up).
Hahaha! That's why I ride my bike to dates (sometimes).

Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
I hear what you are saying. All I'm saying is in order for a divorce to happen, it has to be filed first. Why would the person that files for divorce file for it and not want it? They would most likely attempt to work it out instead. The person that "causes" the divorce would most likely be the one that "files" for divorce since it seems like they would want out badly. Divorce is not cheap.
And another thought is that undeniably, women are in the driver seat when it comes to dating/choosing mates/marrying. It's much harder for men in this aspect of life so most likely, a man won't be the filer. Or as I want to call it, the "initiator".
If I had waited for my ex-husband to file for divorce after we separated in 2004, I'd still be married. The man was a procrastinator of the highest order. He was also irresponsible and passive. I could have taken him for a ride, because he barely skimmed the property settlement agreement when I put it in front of him to sign, but I'm not that kind of person. He was also lazy and a bit of a coward, in that he didn't even show up for court the day of the divorce.

And divorce is as cheap as two people make it. I spent $1,200 on the attorney for the property settlement agreement, $70 on a website to get the paperwork to file for the divorce with the court, and $50 to the court for filing fees.

That's it. Why? Because we were both adults about it.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yeah, im sure that anyone who is anti marriage must be a frustrated adult virgin. s
At what point did you think that an antimarriage discussion was the point of this thread?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If I had waited for my ex-husband to file for divorce after we separated in 2004, I'd still be married. The man was a procrastinator of the highest order. He was also irresponsible and passive. I could have taken him for a ride, because he barely skimmed the property settlement agreement when I put it in front of him to sign, but I'm not that kind of person. He was also lazy and a bit of a coward, in that he didn't even show up for court the day of the divorce.

And divorce is as cheap as two people make it. I spent $1,200 on the attorney for the property settlement agreement, $70 on a website to get the paperwork to file for the divorce with the court, and $50 to the court for filing fees.

That's it. Why? Because we were both adults about it.
Ok true..... But I'm talking about in the majority of cases.

None of my business, but maybe he was dragging his feet about filing because he didn't want the divorce? The way you speak about him, it sounds like to me you wanted the divorce more than him..... Hey again, none of my business, so don't comment on that. I'm probably wrong.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:

Don't get me wrong though, I do hear what you're saying
You are still assuming a lot. Which honestly doesn't surprise me. Why are women in the driver seat? And the person who files doesn't have anything to do with who initiates. It's simply the person that files the paperwork. I make all my husband's medical appointments for him - that doesn't mean that I'm the one that wants them or that I'm the one seeing the doctor. I'm simply the one that takes care of things like making appointments, joining the pool, paying the bills, etc. A lot of families are like that. Or - in the case of my neighbor - her husband kept threatening her with divorce until she finally filed herself. He was sexting with a bunch of women and kept telling her that he would stop - but she found out that he just changed their names in his phone to men's names instead. Did she cause the divorce? They both made mistakes - but she didn't cause the divorce. She simply filed.

You are assuming an awful lot about some paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships