Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

So, your stance is that any children you father, you shouldn't be obligated to financial support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:04 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So, your stance is that any children you father, you shouldn't be obligated to financial support?

It's slavery, ma'an

(I can see having children as being a bad business idea... but people don't have children for the financial benefits, I hope)

Old 06-30-2015, 12:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,278,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Health and financially, primarily (especially health). The big one why women have the disadvantage is that women work as the men do nowadays, but with marriage they're overwhelmingly responsible for the majority of chores as well, so they cook, clean, and shop for two. Women get a raw deal, generally.

There are many studies on it, but the biggest one recently was by PEW. There are tons of pop stuff out there too such as:

No 'Advantage For Women' In Marriage, Men Better Off

But I try to stick to the real research.
Ok fair enough. Since you have statistics, I can't argue with you on it personally, but I can challenge their statistics. I don't follow their research and studies because alot of it is skewed by gender and media. But in my own opinion (real life), cooking, cleaning and shopping (with the husband's money), CANNOT be any "worse" than sitting in traffic everyday, answering to a boss(unless you own), competing with coworkers, fighting for raises, taking on the stress and burden of making sure you have an income always to provide food, shelter, clothing, cars, etc for others. I'm thinking in a more logical way than statistical. Worst comes to worst, I can shop, cook and clean for myself. I'd rather do it myself to make sure it gets done. Married or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That is if men get and STAY married. If they get divorced, let's face it anyone who is getting married needs to consider divorce as a real possibility, that business deal potentially gets real sour real fast for a man.
^This^

Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
It's slavery, ma'an

(I can see having children as being a bad business idea... but people don't have children for the financial benefits, I hope)
Kids aren't cheap.

The great thing, though, is that if you don't want them/don't want to provide for them, you don't have to have any.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Ok fair enough. Since you have statistics, I can't argue with you on it personally, but I can challenge their statistics. I don't follow their research and studies because alot it is skewed by gender and media. But in my own opinion (real life), cooking, cleaning and shopping (with the husband's money), CANNOT be any "worse" than sitting in traffic everyday, answering to a boss(unless you own), competing with coworkers, fighting for raises, taking on the stress and burden of making sure you have an income always to provide food, shelter, clothing, cars, etc for others. I'm thinking in a more logical way than statistical. Worst comes to worst, I can shop, cook and clean for myself. I'd rather do it myself to make sure it gets done. Married or not.
That's the point. Women do that as well! (and well more than 50% of the chores)

The vast majority of couples both people work, and professional men marry professional women.

This is why the women get the shaft in marriage (generally).

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Child support isn't to support children? Ok. It generally isn't enough to actually pay for the children.

But hey, split custody (or get full custody) as so many people do and no child support issues!

(Or don't get divorced (most people don't), or don't have children)
Do you know that every feminist organization fights tooth and nail to strike down any bill, law or ruling that is pro equal custody, where both parents have equal involvement in childs life? Getting a full custody is not an option for most married men, because family courts are so slanted and skewed to favor the wife. So, when a man gets married, he risks all he has and will acquire in his life, at an incredible small chance it will work out. Not to burst your bubble, but the only reason the divorce rate seems to be down in recent years, is simply because half the population in this country is no longer interested in marriage. Im sorry, but from business standpoint its an incredibly stupid move to accept those terms.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:12 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You should be obligated to support your children. The parent with full custody, should also be obligated to provide proof that the moneys paid is actually used for support of the children, not jimmy choo shoes or some other overpriced crap. But let me guess, that would simply be inconvenient.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Do you know that every feminist organization fights tooth and nail to strike down any bill, law or ruling that is pro equal custody, where both parents have equal involvement in childs life? Getting a full custody is not an option for most married men, because family courts are so slanted and skewed to favor the wife. So, when a man gets married, he risks all he has and will acquire in his life, at an incredible small chance it will work out. Not to burst your bubble, but the only reason the divorce rate seems to be down in recent years, is simply because half the population in this country is no longer interested in marriage. Im sorry, but from business standpoint its an incredibly stupid move to accept those terms.

Small chance it will work out? 65-70% of first marriages work out.

And why does he risk all he's acquired, but not her? Divorce agreements, in the off chance they occur, only split assets acquired during marriage (which is a partnership). Not the stuff before.

And most people marry someone similar age and at a similar professional level and education level. So, marry someone that earns about the same amount, and the fears are gone.

No bubble to burst!

(And I'm not sure you get how rates work, people not getting married don't affect divorce rates other than people that shouldn't have gotten married choose not to get married in the first place... that's a good thing).

Old 06-30-2015, 12:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,278,514 times
Quote:
Yea this pretty much sums it up.
In my personal experience, everyone I know 40+ years old has been married twice. My of my male peers aren't interested in marriage for the very reasons Acension2012 stated. With modern day feminism, men pretty much ALWAYS lose in court. I personally know a girl that is financially unfit to care for her 2 daughters and guess what? She has them, and the financially stable father doesn't. But he damn well better have that child support every month, whether or not the mom is spending it on the children.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Do you know that every feminist organization fights tooth and nail to strike down any bill, law or ruling that is pro equal custody, where both parents have equal involvement in childs life?
Citations, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships