Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 12:55 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Here is one for the biggest feminist organization in the world. I can find exact same for pretty much every feminist organization.

"NOW stated their reasons for opposing shared parenting so let’s take a look at the reasoning behind their opposition:
“Shared Parenting” is defined as “the award of custody to both parties so that both parties share equally the legal responsibility and control of such child and share equally the living experience in time and physical care of assure frequent and continuing contact with both parties, as the court deems to be in the best interests of the child, taking into consideration the location and circumstances of each party.” The assertion that “shared parenting is in the best interests of minor children” is on its face untrue… The following facts continue to be true with respect to mandatory joint custody of the children: * To arbitrarily reassign a child’s primary caregiver, or disrupt a child’s attachment to a primary caregiver creates an unstable, even traumatic situation for the children. * Increased father involvement does not necessarily result in positive outcomes for children.”"

and again in 2009 http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...stody-2009.pdf

Did you read this summary from that page?:

The National Organization for Women-New York State, Inc. is in favor of primary caregiver presumption. This means that the parent who assumed primary responsibility for the children during the marriage, either father or mother, should continue to be the custodial parent.

It's not really gender biased at all. They just don't like shared custody.

Also, from that same page:

* Existing law currently says that there is no preference for shared parenting in New York. The court may award joint custody, but in practice rarely does so. Legislators should be aware that the reason that more mothers have custody after divorce is that most arrangements are worked out between the parents. 95% of the litigated cases, including matrimonial cases, are settled out of court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,224,281 times
You make a go of it and do the best you can, and anticipate that you may be very different people 10 years from now. The Mr. and I were 22 when we got married. Were we too young? Hell yes! But we're chugging along just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman110 View Post
I've been married a few weeks. I'm 2 years older than my wife (I'm 26 and she's 24). These comments are making me wonder if we got married too young.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:57 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Honestly, it could be a red state thing. There's more women than men in GA and 70% of divorces are caused by women....

There is zero evidence to support this premise, at all.

Please do not go to the fact that most filers are women. Who causes divorce and who files are very different, and intuitively opposite, in fact.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 PM

106 posts, read 87,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
You make a go of it and do the best you can, and anticipate that you may be very different people 10 years from now. The Mr. and I were 22 when we got married. Were we too young? Hell yes! But we're chugging along just fine.
I love my wife very much. I'm very much willing to make it work. She was the one who wanted to get married and we are happy.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,224,281 times
From past posts, it sounds like you stuck it out as long as you could. But at some point, life gets too damn short to spend it with someone who makes you miserable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
she was NOT like this when we dated...she changed
20 years is a LONG time
I ignored the red flags

Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,151,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
she was NOT like this when we dated...she changed
20 years is a LONG time
I ignored the red flags
Were you both good at communicating with each other? From the very beginning? How long did you date her before you got married? Most of the people that I know that had unsuccessful marriages either ignored problems from back when they were dating, didn't communicate, and just let things slide hoping they would just get better on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Honestly, it could be a red state thing. There's more women than men in GA and 70% of divorces are caused by women....
How do you know who caused the divorces? I've never seen any articles, statistics or anything about who caused divorces. Filing is not the same thing as causing. Many times it is the woman that files because they are the ones that take care of the paperwork - but that has nothing to do with who caused the divorce or even who wanted the divorce.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 06-30-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There is zero evidence to support this premise, at all.

Please do not go to the fact that most filers are women. Who causes divorce and who files are very different, and intuitively opposite, in fact.
Yep. I have almost exclusively known women to do the filing...yet, I have almost exclusively known men to be the ones to request the divorce/verbally initiate proceedings/functionally end the relationship. The women just get stuck with the paperwork, whether they wanted the divorce or not.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
I love my wife very much. I'm very much willing to make it work. She was the one who wanted to get married and we are happy.
Then don't worry about how old or young you are.

I got married older, because that's when I met somebody I wanted to marry.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM

780 posts, read 677,967 times
Quote:
I've been married a few weeks. I'm 2 years older than my wife (I'm 26 and she's 24). These comments are making me wonder if we got married too young.
I don't think that age is "too young", but just to share with you anyways... I know a couple from high school, they were h.s. sweet hearts and got married right out of h.s. I think she got pregnant out of wedlock, based on their years of anniversary and the age of their son. That or she got pregnant right after...like right after, but anyways, they've been together since, 15 years and going, with their 4 kids in total.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:23 PM

491 posts, read 402,261 times
Quote:
Remember that many people who post on an internet forum about [i]anything[i] usually have a strong opinion about it, one way or another. Don't let it worry you too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships