Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

This sounds like a form of "sour grapes". How did your feelings become so strong even when you refused to go on a single date with him?

What do you hope to accomplish now? Do you want him to turn down the new job and try to get his old one back on the off-chance that your relationship will work? Are you planning to move to his new location to start a relationship? No? Then learn a lesson that you need to "strike while the iron is hot", "he who hesitates is lost", and "faint heart never won fair lady (or handsome gentleman)".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 04:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How did your feelings become so strong even when you refused to go on a single date with him?
That is really what I would like to know.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:06 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Let it go.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:09 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
I'd say go ahead and tell him, because you'll keep looking back and wondering 'what if?' Let him know why you kept turning him down too.

Now, realize he could decide that he'd rather not start anything so soon before leaving. And that would be the risk you'd have to take. But...he could decide, why not? And even then, nothing could come of it. Or...

You'll never know unless you try.

Go for it. Go in knowing the risks. Don't think everything will end like a romcom. This is more for your peace of mind, honestly. But then again, you never know what could happen.
I agree. OP, it is highly likely that you will end up heartbroken regardless of what happens. Would you rather take a chance and possibly enjoy your last few weeks with him, despite the probability of heartbreak afterward? Or would you rather hide your feelings and always wonder what might have been?

Many years ago, I had feelings for a friend who was going into the Marines at the end of the summer. I neglected to tell him, and even pulled back from our friendship to start dating another. To this day I wonder what might have been.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:11 PM

42 posts, read 50,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This sounds like a form of "sour grapes". How did your feelings become so strong even when you refused to go on a single date with him?

What do you hope to accomplish now? Do you want him to turn down the new job and try to get his old one back on the off-chance that your relationship will work? Are you planning to move to his new location to start a relationship? No? Then learn a lesson that you need to "strike while the iron is hot", "he who hesitates is lost", and "faint heart never won fair lady (or handsome gentleman)".
I refused to date him because I was new to the job - only two months there when he started asking me out. I did not want to start anything and become the subject of office gossip so quickly. I wanted to at least pass my probationary period. I was tempted to accept his offers, but I stuck to my guns.

He was a complete gentleman to me, and we discussed a lot of things, even after I turned down his offers for dates. Our connection just became stronger.

Everything is just happening so quickly.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
I'm getting ready for an interstate move and if someone did that to me, I wouldn't have the time or inclination to deal with it.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:41 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
So you doubt that anything more can come from this? I honestly don't want to have regrets down the line.
Beak, I use a simple rule when faced with situations like this that may lead to regrets. I follow the old saying that it's better to go to your death bed regretting something you did then regretting something you didn't try for when you had the chance. Life is too short to let these situations pass us by. Go for it.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM

42 posts, read 50,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Beak, I use a simple rule when faced with situations like this that may lead to regrets. I follow the old saying that it's better to go to your death bed regretting something you did then regretting something you didn't try for when you had the chance. Life is too short to let these situations pass us by. Go for it.
Thank you.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beak View Post
I refused to date him because I was new to the job - only two months there when he started asking me out. I did not want to start anything and become the subject of office gossip so quickly. I wanted to at least pass my probationary period. I was tempted to accept his offers, but I stuck to my guns.

He was a complete gentleman to me, and we discussed a lot of things, even after I turned down his offers for dates. Our connection just became stronger.

Everything is just happening so quickly.

This makes no sense at all, you do not want to be part of office gossip before your probation period is over but it is just fine to do so afterward?

Keep,religion, romance, politics and your entire personal life out of the office.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Go for it. If nothing else it might be a fun couple of weeks or you may realize you DON'T really want him long term anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships