Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 03:53 PM

132 posts, read 106,336 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies everyone. If I have some time this evening I'll try to respond to each of you specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
So take a one year experiment and do not date anyone less than 5 years younger than you--period. Report back next year. What gave you got to lose?
I'm 42. Dating women my age rules out the possibility of having children. I'm not ready to do that.

My new approach will be to expand my age bracket to 30s and remain patient and hopeful that "the one" is out there.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:30 PM

11,116 posts, read 7,853,761 times
Maybe these 20 something's are not seeing the same image that you are seeing in the mirror? You also have to take almost being twice their age into account. Most 20 something girls aren't interested in a guy who's 20+ years older.
No matter what physical shape they are in or their finances ( unless she's looking for a meal ticket).
I am not trying to be mean, I am talking from experience. I am 26 and dating a 55 year old ( FWB) and a good number of my peers are pretty disgusted by it ( as are many older folks) LOL
That being said... I ( nor he) are expecting/ wanting to "walk off into the sunset" together ( LTR or marriage) and it works for the time being. I wouldn't even remotely consider spending my life with him and vise versa.
What you are looking for I believe is going to be quite elusive.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:30 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,111,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Maybe these 20 something's are not seeing the same image that you are seeing in the mirror? You also have to take almost being twice their age into account. Most 20 something girls aren't interested in a guy who's 20+ years older.
No matter what physical shape they are in or their finances ( unless she's looking for a meal ticket).
I am not trying to be mean, I am talking from experience. I am 26 and dating a 55 year old ( FWB) and a good number of my peers are pretty disgusted by it ( as are many older folks) LOL
That being said... I ( nor he) are expecting/ wanting to "walk off into the sunset" together ( LTR or marriage) and it works for the time being. I wouldn't even remotely consider spending my life with him and vise versa.
What you are looking for I believe is going to be quite elusive.
you know johnny Depp is like 53 now, dwayne "the rock" johnson is 43, and I think most 20 year olds would date them no problem even if they were not famous.

I know a few guys like that, one is a 64 year old black guy and ripped to shreds(muscular) he looks like Tyrese Gibson and I have never seen him with a women younger than 30.

Just saying people will forgive aging if you age well. hence the whole cougar craze we have now, part of it is because a lot of women over 50 look way better than a woman of that age would have looked 20 - 30 years ago. and the same with many guys.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 PM

102,062 posts, read 107,003,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Greenlee View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I have some time this evening I'll try to respond to each of you specifically.

I'm 42. Dating women my age rules out the possibility of having children. I'm not ready to do that.

My new approach will be to expand my age bracket to 30s and remain patient and hopeful that "the one" is out there.
OP, interpreting "my age" broadly, I'd include anyone 38-42 in that. Still plenty of time to have kids. Lots of women have had kids even at 42-45 or later. I must say, though, it's definitely a handy excuse for running after younger women. I'm not sure how that squares with your repeated statements on this thread that you prefer women your age, though.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:44 PM

11,116 posts, read 7,853,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
you know johnny Depp is like 53 now, dwayne "the rock" johnson is 43, and I think most 20 year olds would date them no problem even if they were not famous.

I know a few guys like that, one is a 64 year old black guy and ripped to shreds(muscular) he looks like Tyrese Gibson and I have never seen him with a women younger than 30.

Just saying people will forgive aging if you age well. hence the whole cougar craze we have now, part of it is because a lot of women over 50 look way better than a woman of that age would have looked 20 - 30 years ago. and the same with many guys.
Sure.. There are exceptions to the rule especially if you want to throw in celebrity. A 20 something may date an older guy, but for the long term... Not so much. The OP is looking for someone to spend his life with and possibly have children with. Impossible? no, improbable .. More likely. Now if he follows his idea of going for 30's women, he'd probably fare better.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,078,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post

But you are bringing it back to looks - when the problem is substance.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, interpreting "my age" broadly, I'd include anyone 38-42 in that. Still plenty of time to have kids. Lots of women have had kids even at 42-45 or later. I must say, though, it's definitely a handy excuse for running after younger women. I'm not sure how that squares with your repeated statements on this thread that you prefer women your age, though.
Thanks for your reply.

Of course I understand that women can and do have children into their 40s. But along with that prospect you have an much higher probability of a child with severe congenital defects like downs syndrome, autism, spina bifada, cleft pallate, heart defects, etc. Not to mention the risks to the mother; hypertension/preeclamsia, diabetes, stillbirth. There are many more potential difficulties, from a biological standpoint, for a woman to raise, breast feed, and care for a child while she's in her late 40s and 50s. These are facts.

By the way, I never said I prefer women my age. If that were the case, I'd have gf my age. It's possible that, intellectually, I would have more in common with a woman my age, but the ones I know that are single and childless are total basket cases. Desperate, laden with baggage, and posturing as though they have everything figured out. Usually, if you find a single, childless woman in her 40s, she already resolved that life isn't going to work out the way she wants and she's bitter because of it.

And my handy excuse is simply a natural one. The younger, healthier, more fertile woman is always preferred simply from a natural, biological, evolutionary standpoint. It is this same rationale that compels women, on a subconscious level to prefer older men who can provide a stable environment for nesting. By the way, this isn't psuedoscience, it's proven science.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,078,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Greenlee View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Of course I understand that women can and do have children into their 40s. But along with that prospect you have an much higher probability of a child with severe congenital defects like downs syndrome, autism, spina bifada, cleft pallate, heart defects, etc. Not to mention the risks to the mother; hypertension/preeclamsia, diabetes, stillbirth. There are many more potential difficulties, from a biological standpoint, for a woman to raise, breast feed, and care for a child while she's in her late 40s and 50s. These are facts.

By the way, I never said I prefer women my age. If that were the case, I'd have gf my age. It's possible that, intellectually, I would have more in common with a woman my age, but the ones I know that are single and childless are total basket cases. Desperate, laden with baggage, and posturing as though they have everything figured out. Usually, if you find a single, childless woman in her 40s, she already resolved that life isn't going to work out the way she wants and she's bitter because of it.

And my handy excuse is simply a natural one. The younger, healthier, more fertile woman is always preferred simply from a natural, biological, evolutionary standpoint. It is this same rationale that compels women, on a subconscious level to prefer older men who can provide a stable environment for nesting. By the way, this isn't psuedoscience, it's proven science.
Then I guess you don't have a problem!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Sure.. There are exceptions to the rule especially if you want to throw in celebrity. A 20 something may date an older guy, but for the long term... Not so much. The OP is looking for someone to spend his life with and possibly have children with. Impossible? no, improbable .. More likely. Now if he follows his idea of going for 30's women, he'd probably fare better.
I agree with you. 20 something women, in this society specifically, are neither prepared nor looking for anything long term, generally speaking. Of course there are exceptions to the rules; conservative, small town christian women for instance are more likely to look to settle down at an earlier age.

But in my travels I've noticed that 20 somethings in non-westernized countries are much more suitable partners. We're talking societies that are still based upon the traditional family apparatus. They have not yet devolved into something more western, in which families are fragmented and children are more or less left to fend for themselves.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Then I guess you don't have a problem!
Well, I guess I could perceive the fact that I haven't gotten what I want as a problem. Or I could just be more patient and adjust my expectations a little bit. Which is what I intend on doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships