Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,162,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I know I had hard time fitting in school being the weird ADD black nerd girl and then I found forums and chat rooms.It was heaven on earth.
Nothing like the internet for the less than socially charismatic irl

Same for me lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:19 PM

13,575 posts, read 9,592,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There have always been shy guys. But men assuming that attractive women are taken and allowing that assumption to cause them to not even try is new to me, and is shocking in its absurdity.
The underlying rationale is the "efficient markets theory", or EMT. In the investment world, some people are persuaded that a particular stock is a screaming buy, because the corporate fundamentals are strong, return on investment capital is good and growing, the price/earnings ratio is low, and so forth... but the stock is out of favor in the stock market. But an adherent of EMT would retort that all such information is already available to the overall market. It is therefore already priced into the stock. Beyond aggregate market conditions, such as investor euphoria or despair, all stocks are already priced fairly. Therefore any screaming bargain is utterly illusory.

The countervailing joke has two EMT adherents walking along, when one of them spies a $100 bill on the ground. "Don't bother to pick it up", says the other. "If it were a real $100 bill, somebody would have picked it up already".

We have, have we not, often noticed the assertion of an analogy between commercial markets (stocks, bonds, lumber, vegetables,...) and the dating "market"? Well, apply EMT to dating. The implication is that any beautiful woman or handsome man is already taken. And if they're not already taken, then they're not really beautiful or handsome, or there is some underlying malady yet to be discovered.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,145,769 times
Why wouldn't they?

When I was single I preferred meeting women online. I felt that I got to know them better through emails than if we were just dating. And if there was something I didn't like, it was easy to just move on. Less complications, less hassle, better screening.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,834,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Nothing like the internet for the less than socially charismatic irl

Same for me lol
Yea it is great to be able to express myself.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,336,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
This is good advice for women, but not men. Women have a huge selection of men online. As long as they are not ridiculously picky, they will have tons of options and can easily have a boyfriend within a few days. In fact, I don't know why women don't exclusively date online. It's like a catalog for them.

Men, on the other hand, need to put in the leg work in real life and will likely not have success online.

Most women seem to not understand this for whatever reason.
But there are men who have success with online dating; however, I reckon "success" can have a number of definitions. I came across a fair number of men who dated plenty and even met previous partners online. So it isn't entirely a wash for all men. I do recognize dating, especially online, can be a struggle for a lot of men.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,834,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
But there are men who have success with online dating; however, I reckon "success" can have a number of definitions. I came across a fair number of men who dated plenty and even met previous partners online. So it isn't entirely a wash for all men. I do recognize dating, especially online, can be a struggle for a lot of men.
Well it is sausage fest

Old 07-06-2015, 10:03 PM

22 posts, read 16,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman110 View Post
An ego boost. Pay those women no mind at all.
To humiliate and embarrass men too!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 PM

403 posts, read 594,453 times
Well I am young and attractive and I use online dating. Not every single woman lives in urban, walkable areas like NYC or Chicago where thousands and thousands of men see her every day. I live in a small, car dependent town that is very family orientated so I don't see too many single men my age out and about and they don't see me either.
So that's a big reason. When I move to a big city I'm not sure if I will use online dating since there will be way more opportunities to meet nice single men. So that's my main reason. Also it's much easier to approach a guy online than in person and a lot of women might be shy, I know I am a bit. But there's millions of attractive women who use online dating for many different reasons.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM

403 posts, read 594,453 times
Attention and ego-boosting I'm sure is a common reason. I do like the ego-boosting and attention I get online, but that's not my main reason.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 PM

106 posts, read 87,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OD GUY 45 View Post
To humiliate and embarrass men too!
Well. Not exactly. Some of these women just crave attention like a drug addict. My brother in law uses online dating and he says the pretty women just want validation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships