Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:50 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times

Advertisements

I think it is perfectly fine for a married man to have women as friends (vice versa too).

However..

Are the things he does and the way he acts expected or welcomed if he were a woman friend? Right off the bat, I wouldn't be going around tickling my guy friends (I am a guy) and as such wouldn't be going around tickling my woman friends either.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:56 AM

14 posts, read 9,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You're having an emotional affair. You need to stop NOW.

It's not OK because you're flirting with each other, and he's using you to fill the void where his wife should be.

STOP ASAP.
How is this an emotional affair? We literally just became friends. We don't don't out at night after work on dates or anything.

I don't see how I'm filling a void? I'm just being myself, just like I am with everyone else.

I've never been married, so forgive me for being ignorant.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:59 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
I have some male friends but we are keeping formal distance between us. Too much playfull attitude is able to lead into troubles. Keep it formal or don't do it.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2805 View Post
How is this an emotional affair? We literally just became friends. We don't don't out at night after work on dates or anything.

I don't see how I'm filling a void? I'm just being myself, just like I am with everyone else.

So when will you meet his wife? Perhaps pop over for dinner some time?
That's when you'll know whether your friendship is ok.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2805 View Post

Because you're playing the part of the wife in her absence.

Since you don't know, here is a tutorial:

The texting you at night from 6-10? Not OK. He should be talking to her.

The tickling and peek-a-boo? Not OK. It's flirting.

Telling you FIRST about the house?? Not OK. He's placing you TOO HIGH on his priority list.

Bad-mouthing and "not mentioning" his wife? Not OK. Sounds like he's grooming you for an affair.

He needs to set some boundaries, but that's not as fun as tickling the young girl at work "for a nice break in the day." So now it's YOUR job to set those boundaries. It's LONG overdue.

It feels like innocent fun because y'all aren't [mod cut]. But it's not innocent. He's giving YOU all his best communication, so there's none left for his wife.

Time to grow up and put a stop to it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-05-2015 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Yes, it's okay for a married man and a single woman to be friends. No, your friendship does not sound okay.
Yep.

It's okay to be friends. The stuff that's going on? Not friend-like.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 PM

227 posts, read 195,206 times
He's setting you up. Put some distance between the two of you. The tickling, nope.

You're being friendly and he's trying take advantage. As for the offer to help with the house, retract it, because I wouldn't spend any time truly alone with him.

Tell you what: once a day, bring up his wife. Ask how she's doing. Say things like: "Oh tell her I said hi," etc. Mention how excited you are to meet her when she moves here. Take 'her' side when he brings up stuff like the collared shirt. Compliment her. Say how awesome she is for being alone back wherever she is with the kids, and how tough that must be on her. Stuff like that. Watch his reaction. Do this for about a month. It'll tell you a lot.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
You are extremely naïve, he wants to cheat on his wife with you. It's up to you whether or not you are ok with it. He only told you he was married to begin with because other people where you work most likely already knew he was. If you had met him out somewhere he probably would have said he was single.

I hate these married creepers they just muddy up the waters for legit single guys like me.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
Tell you what: once a day, bring up his wife. Ask how she's doing. Say things like: "Oh tell her I said hi," etc. Mention how excited you are to meet her when she moves here. Take 'her' side when he brings up stuff like the collared shirt. Compliment her. Say how awesome she is for being alone back wherever she is with the kids, and how tough that must be on her. Stuff like that. Watch his reaction. Do this for about a month. It'll tell you a lot.
This is a perfect way to start setting those boundaries, OP.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You are extremely naïve, he wants to cheat on his wife with you. It's up to you whether or not you are ok with it.
Naive, or completely cognizant of what's going on and finding it flattering or a rush. Either way, bad scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships