Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Thank you.

I know people think it's because I'm hurting now, but honestly I'm just tired

I'm 42. I've been through the ringer. I really am not "marketable" as they say. I don't even want to try anymore.

I don't want to prepare for someone else. I just want to shut everything off and give up. How do I do that?
There's truth to the bolded. My last few relationships have been good luck chuck like. Someone gets to capitalize right after we end things with each other. One got married and the other is engaged. When you feel that way it's best to improve yourself and just do what you enjoy doing for yourself and for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,329,100 times
the best way is to totally cut them out of your life, avoid all contact, no more calls, nothing, also discard any photos or memories of that person.

if you continue communication this will just drag on and on for nothing

nothing wrong with no relationships, you get use to it

Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I just ended things with the guy I've been seeing for just over a year because he's a horrible person who has no respect for me.

At this point I'm done with relationships. I really don't want to do it anymore. I'm tired of the effort, the pain, and the heartache. I just don't have it in me to try anymore.

I know there are people on here who say they gave up. How did you go about doing it?

I just don't want to even bother hoping anymore. It's too much of a pain.
I gave up on a friend of 15 years recently, and even though a switch clicked off in my mind where I was able to walk away and tell her I couldn't do it anymore, the pain of not having her as a friend anymore still hurts. You & I both will get over it. For you, it's a lot easier, because to get over one guy you just have to get under another

Old 07-09-2015, 02:12 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I know people think it's because I'm hurting now, but honestly I'm just tired

I'm 42. I've been through the ringer. I really am not "marketable" as they say. I don't even want to try anymore. Sheesh. 42 is not old! I'm over 10 years older than you and I consider myself marketable!

I don't want to prepare for someone else. I just want to shut everything off and give up. How do I do that?

Just had to comment above. Think of it this way, if you are healthy, you possibly still have another 40 years to enjoy. Are you really ready to throw in the towel?

I took 2 years off after my divorce. I was (and still am) able to keep busy doing other things, but am now ready to share my time with someone else.

I have found a website (O.T.) which caters to more mature folks .. and yes, some trolls and scammers, but I've had plenty of dates!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I gave up on a friend of 15 years recently, and even though a switch clicked off in my mind where I was able to walk away and tell her I couldn't do it anymore, the pain of not having her as a friend anymore still hurts. You & I both will get over it. For you, it's a lot easier, because to get over one guy you just have to get under another
You are missing the point. I do not want another guy. I'm done.

I'm not marketable because I am over 40 and never going to be the type of person men want.

I like the advice Wmsn has given about getting involved with other things. I'm just worried I will succumb to the pressure of wanting to date again, and go through the heartache again. I don't want that ever again. I'm tired of fooling myself and then being disappointed. It's just not worth it.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I like the advice Wmsn has given about getting involved with other things. I'm just worried I will succumb to the pressure of wanting to date again, and go through the heartache again. I don't want that ever again. I'm tired of fooling myself and then being disappointed. It's just not worth it.
You're looking too far down the road.

Just think day by day. Practice being supremely focused on the activity you're in and nothing else. IF you meet someone, it may be months or years from now when you DO feel ready.

But you are not on a deadline. That's pressure you're putting on yourself, and it's not cool. Let that false thought go and focus on what YOU are interested in.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Just think day by day. Practice being supremely focused on the activity you're in and nothing else. IF you meet someone, it may be months or years from now when you DO feel ready.

But you are not on a deadline. That's pressure you're putting on yourself, and it's not cool. Let that false thought go and focus on what YOU are interested in.
Thanks.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
I just ended things with the guy I've been seeing for just over a year because he's a horrible person who has no respect for me.

At this point I'm done with relationships. I really don't want to do it anymore. I'm tired of the effort, the pain, and the heartache. I just don't have it in me to try anymore.

I know there are people on here who say they gave up. How did you go about doing it?

I just don't want to even bother hoping anymore. It's too much of a pain.

Totally, I gave up and stopped caring. Didn't hit on another girl for 2 years.

I spent my time getting my golf game better and just enjoying myself.

Honestly time passed and I didn't even THINK about going on a date.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
You involve yourself in other things and people that you care about.

You still have the capacity to care about people, things and causes. You really have to keep that up because it gives life meaning. If you stop caring about ANYthing, you will be a bitter person who repels people.

It just doesn't have to be a romantic involvement.
Quote:

I agree with everybody so far, particularly these two posts. Don't let it suck the life out of you. I think you're cool too.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:53 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
If you have no desire to search or date, then just do what you want when you want.

I quit dating a couple of years ago and I'm still happy with my decision. It took a little getting used to the idea, but you have to weigh the good with the bad. I had too much bad. I'm not saying that I'll never find someone because I believe in fate and if it happens, it happens.

I've been in love three times in my lifetime and I feel blessed to have known love. Some people aren't that lucky. I had 2 sons that were the best gifts from my marriage.

Maybe my picker just isn't good! I have more money in my pocket now because I don't have to worry about "date" clothes or all the other money issues a relationship can involve. I never really enjoyed being a cook and a housekeeper, so I do those things when I feel like it now. I come and go as I please and I'm blessed to have a good family that I'm close with.

If that's your choice, then run with it. Not every person needs another person to complete them. Do things for you for right now. You might find out after a certain amount of time that you don't like being single, but take this time to enjoy your life for yourself.

I wish you future happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships