Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:29 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times

Advertisements

How would you feel about dating someone with a mental illness? Do you see it as black and white either yes or no, or could you accept certain types of mental illnesses or those that are being treated?

I have BPD, depression and anxiety. My bf suffers from depression, but his is more under control than mine. We actually met at a group for people with mental illnesses, so there was always acceptance. I think I am more of the problem though as I am extremely insecure, but we somehow make it work, despite not liking ourselves all that much.

I have been another relationship where it didn't work. My partner was an angry depressive and in denial, chose to blame me and everyone else instead of look inward and seek help. I could not be with someone like that again. They used depression as an excuse for verbal abuse.

But I think it can work as long as both partners are willing to seek help and develop a strategy for when both of you are depressed at the same time. In my case, I am learning to give him space and in my partner's case, he is learning to just listen rather than come up with the answers or get frustrated when I just need to talk.

I would like to know your thoughts and experiences with this. I don't think fee answer should be black and white and there is still a lot of stigma out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:35 AM

358 posts, read 229,310 times
Marriage and relationships can already be complicated enough. I wouldnt want to make it any more complicated.

So no I would not date someone with a MI.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
If the "normal" person knows about the other's mental illness before they become attached, they would be wise to avoid a relationship. But as you say, life is full of gray areas and most people don't learn of the problem in advance.

Depression is harmful to a person's loved ones. It can leave scars that persist for generations.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
If the "normal" person knows about the other's mental illness before they become attached, they would be wise to avoid a relationship. But as you say, life is full of gray areas and most people don't learn of the problem in advance.

Depression is harmful to a person's loved ones. It can leave scars that persist for generations.
I think it depends on how severe the depression is and whether the person is willing to get help. My previous partner was an angry depressive. That even I can't deal with. But many people with mental illnesses are perfectly capable of being in relationships.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,559 times
No. I am friends with too many people in recovery who suffer from a vast array of mental illnesses in recovery. I don't have any desire to get serious about any of them.
And alcoholism is considered a mental illness and I don't want to find anyone "like me" in that respect either.

I would suggest going to therapy, taking your prescribed medicine as directed by a licensed physician, educating yourself as best you can about your own MI and that of your bf. Also, do not self medicate.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:38 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
If both are aware of the issues I think they may be able to help each other. I also feel strongly they should be working at resolving or learning how to live successfully with their conditions / issues. And i also feel strongly there should be a certain maturity present. And not a good idea they live together while working these things out.

Years ago I dated a girl for about 6 months who was bi-polar. She knew she had a problem but she gave up attempting to address it. For this reason I kept the relationship at arms length. I really liked her. If she had made an attempt we might be together today. Bi-polar back then was not easy.

I agree, this in not black and white. But we have to be able to focus on ourselves successfully before we can focus on others.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:56 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I have anxiety, but I don't consider it a mental illness. I also don't really tell people about it because I feel it's my job to keep it under control and work through the issues. I could date someone else with it as long as they are like me. It becomes a big job to be constantly "taking care of" someone.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:24 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I have cyclothymia, social anxiety disorder and anxiety. I've never had issues with dating because of this. It really depends on how these conditions manifest. I've yet to date anyone who didn't have at least one form of MI. My husband has depression, or dealt with it significantly in the past, and mild forms of OCD.

I previously dated someone with more major depressive disorder, and another with panic disorder. My exH dealt with seasonal depression and social anxiety.

Only one time I briefly dated someone with BPDI, and I tried, but it was a big no because he wasn't stable, was suicidal, and wouldn't get on medication.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
How would you feel about dating someone with a mental illness? Do you see it as black and white either yes or no, or could you accept certain types of mental illnesses or those that are being treated?

I have BPD, depression and anxiety. My bf suffers from depression, but his is more under control than mine. We actually met at a group for people with mental illnesses, so there was always acceptance. I think I am more of the problem though as I am extremely insecure, but we somehow make it work, despite not liking ourselves all that much.

I have been another relationship where it didn't work. My partner was an angry depressive and in denial, chose to blame me and everyone else instead of look inward and seek help. I could not be with someone like that again. They used depression as an excuse for verbal abuse.

But I think it can work as long as both partners are willing to seek help and develop a strategy for when both of you are depressed at the same time. In my case, I am learning to give him space and in my partner's case, he is learning to just listen rather than come up with the answers or get frustrated when I just need to talk.

I would like to know your thoughts and experiences with this. I don't think fee answer should be black and white and there is still a lot of stigma out there.
I could accept certain types of "mental illnesses." Lots of people have issues that could possibly be classified as "mental illnesses."

Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I have anxiety, but I don't consider it a mental illness. I also don't really tell people about it because I feel it's my job to keep it under control and work through the issues. I could date someone else with it as long as they are like me. It becomes a big job to be constantly "taking care of" someone.
It is a mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships