Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:02 PM

9 posts, read 13,006 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's my insecurities and the history I've had with good looking men, but there's a guy that I liked initially. His face was handsome, but not too handsome. He had great hair, skin and decent facial features. He was tall, but wasn't too skinny or fat. He was a little thick in his legs and certain areas. Overall, he was still a good looking guy, but not Brad Pitt or anything.

Whenever he was around me, he acted like a schoolboy with a huge crush. I found it sweet and flattering coming from a grown man and that's part of the reason why I fell for him. Anyway, I hadn't seen him in a while and saw him recently, and his looks changed. He lost a lot of weight and his face was more chiseled. He got really slim and toned that I did not recognize him at first. Think the old vs. new Chris Pratt, or maybe even better. Maybe more like the old and new Joe Manganiello. He even walked differently and his demeanor changed. He wasn't the nervous schoolboy anymore, and looked like he had a lot of confidence.

Although I thought he looked good and better, I liked the way he was. He wasn't too good looking, but now I think he may be too good looking and it made me like him less. Probably because now he can easily have any girl he wants and because the exes I knew who were good looking ended up to be real jerks; they KNEW they were good looking so they always had a wandering eye and soon showed little respect towards me and always thought they could do better. Also, the better looking ones had the worst personalities.

Even Joe Manganiello's hot fiance, Sofia Vergara, thought Joe was too handsome and she had her doubts about him. Considering that she is pretty hot herself, I totally understood where she was coming from about being with such a handsome man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
So basically it turned you off to understand he had other options available to him?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:07 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Nope. But if I'm with someone long enough where their looks can change, then it isn't their looks that are making me attracted to them.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:18 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
"Have you ever lost interest because that person became better looking?"

Umm, no.
I'd be too busy counting my blessings.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:25 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Why write him off before you know if his personality's changed at all? Is he still into you? Wouldn't that be the only thing that matters?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM

780 posts, read 678,715 times
Is he still acting all gaga over you? If not, maybe you're just insecure now? I'm not saying this to sound mean or something, but have you thought that maybe, the reason you liked him when he had this huge crush on you was exactly that...because he was so into you and you found that flattering. I would find it flattering. Now that he has his new found confidence, he now feels like he can have any other girl that he wants and he doesn't act like he has this huge crush on you anymore. By default, you just tell yourself (perhaps unconsciously) that you don't like this look anyways...so whatever.

I mean, you haven't seen him in a while (enough that you didn't recognize him anymore) so I can imagine this faded interest has a lot more to it than just the physical look. He just doesn't flatter your ego the way he used to anymore. Or, you probably don't like a handsome looking man to begin with.

I saw this one TLC show where this woman went from 600+ lbs to 200+ and her husband didn't find her attractive anymore because she's not that big anymore.

I also have a friend who is chubby and she prefers chubby men. I'm assuming an athletic built man or whatever would make her insecure or something, I don't know. So maybe that's that. I used to say, "I love nerds!" Why? Because it does flatter me how cute they get when they don't know how to act when they're around me. Well, I also love smart guys...so it's a bit of both. But anyways, that's that. Maybe you just lost interest in him because he acts differently around you now, not his actual appearance.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypothetical101 View Post
Maybe it's my insecurities and the history I've had with good looking men, but there's a guy that I liked initially. His face was handsome, but not too handsome. He had great hair, skin and decent facial features. He was tall, but wasn't too skinny or fat. He was a little thick in his legs and certain areas. Overall, he was still a good looking guy, but not Brad Pitt or anything.

Whenever he was around me, he acted like a schoolboy with a huge crush. I found it sweet and flattering coming from a grown man and that's part of the reason why I fell for him. Anyway, I hadn't seen him in a while and saw him recently, and his looks changed. He lost a lot of weight and his face was more chiseled. He got really slim and toned that I did not recognize him at first. Think the old vs. new Chris Pratt, or maybe even better. Maybe more like the old and new Joe Manganiello. He even walked differently and his demeanor changed. He wasn't the nervous schoolboy anymore, and looked like he had a lot of confidence.

Although I thought he looked good and better, I liked the way he was. He wasn't too good looking, but now I think he may be too good looking and it made me like him less. Probably because now he can easily have any girl he wants and because the exes I knew who were good looking ended up to be real jerks; they KNEW they were good looking so they always had a wandering eye and soon showed little respect towards me and always thought they could do better. Also, the better looking ones had the worst personalities.

Even Joe Manganiello's hot fiance, Sofia Vergara, thought Joe was too handsome and she had her doubts about him. Considering that she is pretty hot herself, I totally understood where she was coming from about being with such a handsome man.

If you liked him so much better the way he was why are you not with him in a romantic situation?
If he had a crush on you and you did not go for him what difference does it make how he is now?

Your post makes no sense at all logically.

PS ~~ You really should quit comparing yourself and everyone else with celebrities. They pay large sums of money to people to make them look that pretty when they are in public or working.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:37 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypothetical101 View Post
Whenever he was around me, he acted like a schoolboy with a huge crush. I found it sweet and flattering coming from a grown man and that's part of the reason why I fell for him.
If you found him attractive before, and he was clearly into you, why didn't anything happen then? Is it possible that you utilizing selective memory now, and that you really were not attracted to him before?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I had an ex where, when we met, I was at a certain weight that was unhealthy, and over the course of our relationship, noticeably lost a significant amount of weight and became much healthier and more active (a major job change factored in this significantly -no more long hours of desk work, no more lengthy commuting). He lost interest in the relationship over time, but I would be very surprised if the loss of interest was due specifically to changes in my appearance due to weight loss and getting into better shape, which would be traditionally assumed to be an appearance improvement. The loss of interest had to do with other factors entirely, most likely.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Insecurities is an ugly thing, and jealousy will make you miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships