Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:25 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The point was that the person seeking love abroad must exercise greater caution.
And this really is an excellent summary for the entire thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
As an American woman, I received a ton of marriage proposals when I traveled abroad. Very handsome men living in countries less affluent than the US. I'm attractive but I don't suddenly become a supermodel when I step on foreign soil. It would be naïve for me to think that these handsome and attentive men overseas are seeing something that American men are not.
I travel on business frequently, principally to Western Europe, but also to Eastern Europe and to places quite a bit less affluent. Since I'm funded by my employer, I stay at the better hotels and am fortunate to have access to the sorts of establishments that I'd be too parsimonious to frequent if on leisure-travel. Over my years of traveling, the great oddity is that I've never been approached or otherwise propositioned by local women - not even for a scam or criminal venture or other scheme that's blatantly too good to be true. My employer trains us to be aware of such exigencies while on international travel, but personally I've never encountered them. My conclusion is that somehow I'm not an appealing target; or in other words, invisible. The secondary conclusion is that the foreign world isn't much different from the American world. Women look for certain traits - whether in a desired mate, or a casual companion with whom to pass the time, or in a gullible victim.

The point is that you can take the boy out of the village, but you can't take the village out of the boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Doesn't have to be an impoverished country. How about Asian women from Japan? They are not desperate to leave their country, yet, they do have some cultural differences when it comes to relationships which are not necessary better or worse, just different. Women like certain manners and behaviors from men in certain region, there are some guys who like manners and behaviors from women of a different culture.
This is true. Outside of the Anglo-Saxon world, there is at least theoretically a stronger affinity for men and women to assume more gender-specific roles in the mating game. There is something in particular about the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ and US that introduces particular awkwardness and ambiguity at least in the initial stages of dating and approaching.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post
LOL, is this what the end game is for you? Proving that white people are cool?

That's probably the dumbest, most inane thing I've read on this site.

(I'm white)
No. You totally misread me.

I meant that not all Asian American chicks who are allegedly "cool" were parented by Asian parents.

Some of them (my kids, for example) have white parents. Some have black parents, etc.

A blanket assumption that Asian facial features means a person will behave a certain way is fairly ludicrous.

That was my point. I was too brief, clearly, but it was late when I posted that.

I have no "end game" on here. I'm just an observer.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Huh? Definitely not true. Most have Asian parents.

Asian American = 100% Asian, but born in America.
You know plenty of people adopt Asian kids, right? I know quite a few white couples with Chinese daughters.

My kids are mixed, but people NEVER think my daughter has any white in her. But, I'm white and I gave birth to her, so I know better.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianfondley View Post
My point is that western women preach that western men should not bash them, yet they themselves bash both western men and foreign women. So it's ok to bash pretty much whoever you like, just as long as you are a western woman doing it.

If western men are going to other countries, it is not just because they feel appreciated. It is also because they appreciate the women that are there. It goes both ways.

And if so many western men are going abroad to find women who appreciate them and who they can appreciate, then perhaps, just maybe, there's a huge problem which needs to be addressed but which always ends up being avoided because it's not politically correct.

But it's not going to go away.
Most people don't travel overseas to find a wife.

Also, if the OP hadn't talked about how all the women he met here have been masochists, overly picky and cynical - he likely would have gotten a different response. But I don't think he was after a different response. I think he got exactly what he was looking for. He also has ignored all questions about his plans and research into moving to a foreign country.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
My advice on this topic would be, to travel and experience culture and women abroad. At that point, everyone can make this decision for themselves. It may work out for some and perhaps not for the others. Women in certain parts of the world are brought up more traditionally and are willing to fulfill traditional wives role. They tend to be more feminine and easy going. They do not compete with men because "equality" and are much much easier to please. Then again, some are only interested in leaving their country and not in the man himself.
I was with you until the "more feminine" line.

That's like me saying Middle Eastern guys are "more masculine" because they follow more traditional gender roles.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
These women who judge men who look for women from other cultures may think men only look for poor girls but not all Asian girls or countries are poor: Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. Different cultures have clear differences when it comes to relationships, values, family, etc. this goes to southern men too which lots of women around here seem to show admiration. Don't see why a guy can't look outside as well without getting flamed.
You know that's not the case.

Men looking in impoverished areas are going to get different responses than if a guy posted and said:

"I love the look of Japanese women. Do you think I'd have better luck finding a Japanese mate if I moved to Japan?"

Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianfondley View Post
Yes, they do have a lot to gain. Romance, good looks, attentiveness, assertiveness, sexiness, sensuality, generosity, etc etc etc.

By the way what do you mean the egos of western men? What do you think would happen if I said "the egos of western women"? See, it's ok for you to make such a statement when it's about western men, but when it's about western women, that's not ok.

It goes like this :

Criticize western men - go for it, the more the merrier!
Criticize foreign women - go for it
Criticize foreign men - sure, why not, whatever
Criticize western women - call the pope! Inquisition!!!!
Well, truth told, the protected classes on C-D are the ones who post here. Period.

There's a general thing about gender bashing that applies, but we have to interpret all other reports on their own merits.

Anyone unilaterally criticizing western men (since they are the predominant posters here) needs to be reported.

If nobody reports it? We may never read it.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, truth told, the protected classes on C-D are the ones who post here. Period.

There's a general thing about gender bashing that applies, but we have to interpret all other reports on their own merits.

Anyone unilaterally criticizing western men (since they are the predominant posters here) needs to be reported.

If nobody reports it? We may never read it.
Bashing western men or just men for that matter has been reported, I know that. And many times those reports just don't get treated with the same urgency or have the basher face any consequences as male posters do for smaller things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Men looking in impoverished areas are going to get different responses than if a guy posted and said:

"I love the look of Japanese women. Do you think I'd have better luck finding a Japanese mate if I moved to Japan?"
What do you think of women posters saying that southern men are better because they are true men, they open doors, they pull chairs, they pay all the time, etc. compared to men saying Asian women (don't have to be poor necessarily) have certain cultural differences compared to American women and therefore prefer Asian women?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM

78 posts, read 66,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Liking someone with manners is much different than going to an impoverished country and basically buying a woman desperate to get out of poverty and using her because she's easily controled because you can't handle a relationship with an equal...manners or not.

Yeah....not the same at all.
How dare you insinuate that I'm looking to buy a wife or that I want someone to control. Have you ever even traveled outside of your little bubble? Grow up.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
What do you think of women posters saying that southern men are better because they are true men, they open doors, they pull chairs, they pay all the time, etc. compared to men saying Asian women (don't have to be poor necessarily) have certain cultural differences compared to American women and therefore prefer Asian women?
Both are STEREOTYPES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships