Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,422 times

Advertisements

Do you feel your SO should wake up with you to handle your nightmare with you?

If you have a bad dream, should he/she be annoyed to be waken up?

Or, should he/she wake up to comfort you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
I think it's just a dream, I don't think anyone should put that much thought into it. If I woke my wife up every time I had a bad dream neither of us would get much sleep.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM

44 posts, read 167,851 times
i agree, being the fact both me and my fiancee are grumpy when we first wake up, this would be a dangerous act. lol

I'd wait till the next day to tell your partner and let them comfort you....you know, after everyone's had their coffee, lol.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,433 times
Why would I want to wake him up to tell him about my nightmare? If he is sleeping peacefully, more power to him. I know it's just a bad dream, so I don't need for him to tell me that. I can tell myself that it was just a nightmare and to go back to sleep. If I'm that upset, I can get up and watch tv, or get on the computer, etc. No need for him to lose sleep over it too.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 AM

24 posts, read 84,886 times
If my SO had a disturbing dream, I would want her to wake me to discuss it and comfort her. It is not always possible for a lot of people to recall their dreams except just after awaking from them.

Dreams are a way for our subconcious to process things (thoughts, worries, issues) left undone by the concious. I myself have very, very vivid dreams and always have except during certain medications (perscribed!). Some people can actually alter the outcome of their dreams i.e. knowing they are dreaming and choosing a different door to open, if you will.

I would ask your SO if he would mind if you woke hem should a bad dream come about again. Good luck and good night.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 AM

58 posts, read 80,830 times
Maybe when you have a nightmare it's your subconscious telling you that you need to fix stress you might be having.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,104 times
Well, I really never seem to have nightmares myself. Although I did have trouble sleeping back when that "saggy toes" thread was on here. THAT one had me quite upset! My fiance calls me whenever, about whatever. In fact, I had a thread about that. She has never woke me up about a bad dream, but if she did, it wouldn't upset me. I would comfort her til she went back to sleep, then I would go back to sleep. Unless, of course, I happened to comfort her so well, she decided upon something MUCH better than sleep.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
My s/o is grumpy if he has to be woken up so what I nrmally do if I have a bad dream is put my arm around him for a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Do you feel your SO should wake up with you to handle your nightmare with you?

If you have a bad dream, should he/she be annoyed to be waken up?

Or, should he/she wake up to comfort you?
What? If you're an adult and have a nightmare, tell yourself it was a bad dream and go back to sleep.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
I usually wake my husband up if I have a really intense bad dream. I have had some majorly bad ones where I've dreamed someone close to me has died and the dreams are so vivid I just couldn't shake it. He doesn't seem to mind giving comfort. Now if I woke up every night he would probably be a tad upset but the occasional one he doesn't seem to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships