Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So last night, I was just playing around on Facebook when I got a message from..... let's say a friend of my friend. I've met the dude at a couple of parties but I don't know him that well. So I got a DM last night from him and he asks me straight up "you are a cool dude, I ain't judging; but are you gay?" I say a straight no for that question. Needless to say, that question rubbed me the wrong way. Personally, I feel that is no one's business but mine.

I don't talk about dating or girls at all. My dating life is non-existent, simply due to wanting to avoid rejection, not because I haven't seen girls that are attractive to me. This is not the first time I've been asked or been accused of being gay. It seems like I cannot be a tall black man and speak proper English, dress well, be well-spoken and be shy without being gay.

So to the gallery, would you think it is appropriate at all to ask someone if they are gay if you suspect so?
it really depends on the situation. for instance, lets say you are at a bar with guys and chicks cruising the scene. and lets say you are acting a bit effeminate, and a guy comes up to you looking for a date. it would be appropriate to ask if you are gay, in a subtle manner, before pushing for a date.

on the other hand if you are minding your own business doing what ever it is you normally do during the day, and someone comes up and asks straight if you are gay, then no it isnt appropriate to ask.

in the end i agree with you that it is no one elses business if you are gay or not, and it is generally not appropriate to ask the vast majority of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
It is definitely inappropriate...that friend of your friend was being inconsiderate. Perhaps he didn't mean any real harm or malice, but still, he was rude.

However, I think you need to try not to be so sensitive about this stuff. It's not a big deal...no need to be uptight. Not everyone is considerate or of sound judgment when asking questions...that's just life. S**t happens. Part of being mature and self-secure is being able to handle inappropriate questions and situations with grace and then moving on. Like another poster in this thread said, most guys would just shrug it off and/or have a sense of humor about it...and then put the whole thing behind them a minute later.

The thing is, some people are just going to eventually wonder about a guy's sexual orientation when they rarely or never see him with a woman, or never notice him flirt with a woman, etc. Same goes for women who seem to never flirt with and/or date guys. That's just the way it is. Most adults are accustomed to other adults either being in relationships, or if single...dating at least every now and then.

Burgler could be right, though...that dude may have just been poking fun at you and being a jerk.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Well, are you?

All joking aside, inappropriate question. Unless you are somewhat close to that person. Really it is not kosher, IMO.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
I would say no. Sexual Orientation is not anyone's business.

Even if a woman wanted to date you, and wondered if you were free, asking "Are you gay?" isn't good. Simply asking you for a date or get-together would do. If someone is gay, and you ask them out, they'll tell you they're gay, or not interested. No need for that tactless question.

Annoying how tactless some are. I usually keep headphones in my ears to avoid dealing with most people. lol

Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Hm. To me, it's not an offensive question, just nosey or intrusive unless the person is interested in dating you. It's irrelevant to how you should be treated in interacting with someone you don't know well. Like, why did this guy need to know whether you were gay or not beyond his own prurient curiosity?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:24 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
You shou have said "why, are you wanting to go out on a date?"

LOL don't worry, people always think I'm straight!

Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Yep. Can't know an answer til you ask. Hope you can tell though w/o asking. I mean, really.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
You should have told him that your sexuality is none of his beeswax.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
That seems like an inappropriately nosey question, and I can't see a situation where I would ask someone that. On the other hand, if someone asked me that question I wouldn't care and would probably answer it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 AM

43 posts, read 45,721 times
I myself would not be offended, if, because they were interested in me, someone asked me if I was gay or not. Obviously they want to know! It's not being discourteous or nasty, it's just because they want to find out if they can date you or not. The fact that we now have gay people everywhere, make it more complicated when straight people want to date. So, go ahead and ask the question "are you gay or are you not?" And then followed up with, "if you're not gay I'd like to go out with you."just a very sincere and polite. Hell, I can't tell if anybody's Gay anymore or not!I would probably have to ask the question myself! I've had plenty of people make mistakes with me one way or another, and I wasn't really offended. It's just that, plenty of women feel like they can dress like men, be aggressive in careers and work, et cetera.we are allowed to get pushy, angry, have a good sense of humor and swear.we don't have to go around looking "lipstick lesbian" or "feminine". Or, SUPER – STRAIGHT.you absolutely CANNOT TELL what somebody is up to anymore so just ASK THEM, very politely and sincerely and courteously.
Attached Images

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships