Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:16 AM

9 posts, read 9,065 times

Advertisements

It's been one year since my ex and I broke up. There's no chance of us getting back together. I think about him everyday. Holidays and anniversaries seem to be the hardest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 05:12 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
One year?! Wow!

I'm sorry.

I suggest you throw away the photo album you are reminiscing over while eating ice cream.

You have to keep moving on.

If you lost your foot in an accident you have to move on. There is nothing you can do to bring that foot back. Learn to deal with it.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Took me 6 years to get over one guy. Keep going.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 AM

176 posts, read 189,593 times
Sometimes it takes time. The best advice I could give you is to do things for yourself, things that you enjoy, be open to experiencing until you find something that brings a lot of new joy in your life, because that's what you need, something to make you emotionally happy and stimulate you mentally like your old love used to. Good news is that you could find a new passion in life and feel much happier than you've ever thought you could be, especially because when you find it, it will automatically connect you with people who share the same values and interests as you do, and genuine human connection and new friendships are invaluable.

I've also been in your shoes. It was like living with a ghost for a few years and I felt heartbroken every day. I often feared that I would always feel like that, but one day, I discovered something that was much deeper than the love I had felt for him and I became happier than ever and at times I felt invincible.

It was a long hard way for me but a very important experience in my life because by overcoming my lost love I've become the strong positive person I've always to be and this is priceless. Be wise and patient and know that everything happens for a reason and in your best interest actually.

Last edited by BlazingStars; 07-18-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 12:16 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
6 years?

That's rough...

Old 07-18-2015, 12:24 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
Sometimes it takes time. The best advice I could give you is to do things for yourself, things that you enjoy, be open to experiencing until you find something that brings a lot of new joy in your life, because that's what you need, something to make you emotionally happy and stimulate you mentally like your old love used to. Good news is that you could find a new passion in life and feel much happier than you've ever thought you could be, especially because when you find it, it will automatically connect you with people who share the same values and interests as you do, and genuine human connection and new friendships are invaluable.

I've also been in your shoes. It was like living with a ghost for a few years and I felt heartbroken every day. I often feared that I would always feel like that, but one day, I discovered something that was much deeper than the love I had felt for him and I became happier than ever and at times I felt invincible.

It was a long hard way for me but a very important experience in my life because by overcoming my lost love I've become the strong positive person I've always to be and this is priceless. Be wise and patient and know that everything happens for a reason and in your best interest actually.
Hey if you don't mind me asking, what was it that you discovered? What was it that made you that happy?

Old 07-18-2015, 01:07 PM

615 posts, read 666,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That is a really long time.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
That is a really long time.
Yep. I loved him. But I don't think about him every day now.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
It took me over a year and a half to get over someone I didn't have a full blown relationship with.

I understand where you're coming from. I really do.

The question you have to ask yourself is:

- Why do you think you miss him? What is about special occasions that remind you of him?

I think you need to re-think why and how you guys broke up, so that you can assess what happened and get the answers you need. Sometimes, a post break up isn't always the right time to understand why you and your ex broke up because you're all up in your feelings.

Then after a couple months or years, you retrospectively analyze what went wrong and what happened during the break up only to realize you had the answers all this time.

I believe you feel lonely. Plus, some people are harder to get over. You'll eventually get there

Best of luck!

Old 07-18-2015, 07:05 PM

176 posts, read 189,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Hey if you don't mind me asking, what was it that you discovered? What was it that made you that happy?
In my case, it was spirituality. I'd had some premature spiritual inclinations but I had struggled to integrate them and make sense of life, so very often I gave up and denied any possibility of the existence of the Divine. A lot of that had to do with the fact that my parents were good people but had a very hard time in their lives and I couldn't accept living in a world where there was no justice and balance.

After approaching different spiritual theories and not feeling fulfilled by any of them throughout the years, one day I decided to join a spiritual school which intends to offer a unified study of all religions, and that event, plus the contact with the new wonderful people I met, generated a major instant energy shift within me and also brought a much needed personal revelation in my world. I began to understand why things had happened the way they did in my parents' lives, also that there was justice in my small personal universe, why I was born and what my life was really about. These questions were very deep and had been with me all my life, so when I began to find answers, I gained the peace and joy I had been longing for, and after several years of thinking and feeling that I could never be happy without the man I had loved so much, I forgot him completely in just a few days, without even realising it, because I was so much more fascinated by what I was discovering than I had ever been by him!

I believe there is something for everyone, whatever that great or small hobby could be, because we are all made to respond intensely to and fall in love with an aspect of life and that we don't need ''him'' or ''her'' in our lives to be happy, we need joy, and we are designed to find it anywhere. The love experience filtered through one person is very limited and we are meant to overcome those limitations and expand, experience more and better than we can even imagine, and sometimes the only way to discover this is by having a breakup in our lives.

Last edited by BlazingStars; 07-18-2015 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships