Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,834,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
What if you truly believe you're 9 but really a -3? Who determines scale placement?
Exactly.

The real problem isn't discrepancies in looks, per se. It is the level of maturity of those who are fixated on looks to the point of using juvenile rating systems as though they were buying a hunk of beef at the grocery store.

Particularly when the "buyer," controlled by ego and image, is hell-bent on the highest "quality," without having any concept of its proper handling or how best to appreciate it. They're too self-important to realize what they actually NEED. Probably wants to use grass-fed beef from New Zealand to make Sloppy Joes.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-19-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,795,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Those people have issues that go deeper than dating. And what they could benefit from is professional help. Because people who get that upset about it, still won't be happy in a relationship, because they're going to demand more attention 100% of the time than most can give, and be clingy and unbearable after a while, causing any partner to get tired of them and leave.

I can understand being a bit lonely or bummed about it. But being suicidal, takes it to another, and rather unhealthy, level.

So those people need counselling, or life-coaching of some kind. A relationship works better for people who have their own lives and things to enjoy that don't require a SO. Even a married couple won't be together all the time.
Suicide is definitely taking it to an extreme and those people need help, but depression from being lonely is very normal. I have certainly experienced it in my life and probably am now to a certain extent. I mean going out with the guys is fun and all, but after a while you start to miss some things in life.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,991,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
What if you truly believe you're 9 but really a -3? Who determines scale placement?
I had a friend like this in high school and college. God bless her... she was just not physically attractive but her parents did a good job of instilling confidence in her.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,951,278 times
What's a 10? (Bo Derek aside).

How does one rate a 10? What are the factors that make up a 10, are some factors allow more than a max of 10, if so, can those factors make up for others that are less than 10, and if not, is it an integer based system with a ceiling function.

Ie, there is only 1, 2, 3, etc and not 1.3, 2.7, 3.5. Further, with a ceiling function, a 3.5 is a 4, integer wise.

Or, does it mean one has to match point for point? Ie, if I am a 10 on maturity but an 8 on cooking, he has to be a 10 on maturity and an 8 on cooking.

Further, for such a system, "traditionally" I take it we are only talking about dating and not any further. The old concepts of marriage, of complimenting each other, of "when two become one", don't apply here, right?

What a system that would be! Just imagine, "I'm sorry, Guy Grand, you and I are both tops in looks, money, cars, houses, horses, and how we play polo. But you are 2 points below me in your taste of wine and hence, are no one! Be gone!"

Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 PM

783 posts, read 849,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceandbeans View Post
10s went after 10s, 9s went after 9s, ... , 1s went after 1s. The issue is that the large majority of people aren't attracted to people at their own level of attractiveness.
Yes it is aggravating. The ones you contact don't give you the time of day and the ones that contact you are ones you would never consider dating.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:05 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,712,034 times
It absolutely AMAZES me how much unnecessary thought is put into dating and romance.

Figuring out why they need/want a S/O so bad and why they can't seem to enjoy their own company; is where most of these folks should start.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,910,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
It absolutely AMAZES me how much unnecessary thought is put into dating and romance.

Figuring out why they need/want a S/O so bad and why they can't seem to enjoy their own company; is where most of these folks should start.

Yeah, I sometimes do my best to understand the though process of some people here.. but fail every time.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:35 PM

44,338 posts, read 20,036,498 times
We have had way too many threads about rating potential partners by number or league. Please, everyone, do not start any more threads on this topic. To assign another human being a number based on appearance is abhorrent. Just don't do it. Or if you do, don't post about it here.

This thread is closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.