Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I'm a transplant to Indiana and have been here for about a year and a half. I've been dating a woman since January, and we may try to move in together next year. She's a lifelong Hoosier and has not lived outside of Indiana her whole life and has a strong family network here. I have no personal ties to the area and would love to go somewhere more scenic or warmer. I don't think she'd be very excited about relocating.

How big is willingness to relocate to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:52 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
It's not an issue with me. Once my current move is over, I'm not going anywhere. If he wants to, bon voyage!

I suggest you talk to her about this before you move in together.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a transplant to Indiana and have been here for about a year and a half. I've been dating a woman since January, and we may try to move in together next year. She's a lifelong Hoosier and has not lived outside of Indiana her whole life and has a strong family network here. I have no personal ties to the area and would love to go somewhere more scenic or warmer. I don't think she'd be very excited about relocating.

You might rethink your relationship.
I am from Chicagoland and I have visit Indiana many times. I could not live in that place.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Quote:
I have no personal ties to the area
You do now!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
You don't think she'd move or you don't know, because you never asked her?

My SO and I have lived in three different countries and three different states together, and are contemplating another relocation. Our relocation have mostly been career opportunities for him so however, our current city was my choice as I wanted to put down some roots for a while, and he made some sacrafices to that end. You need to be compatiable and flexible in this regard.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, you haven't even talked to her about it yet. You're conjuring up a problem where there may not be one. Talk to her, then get back to us, if there's any need to.

Communication is fundamental to a successful relationship. If you can't, or aren't willing, to communicate about simple basic things like this, your relationship won't make it very far, anyway. Your whole OP could be a moot point for that reason, if not for your anticipated reason that she may not be willing to move.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:05 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
We've casually talked about it but more in a "what-if" way. I've told her I'd like to move to the Carolinas or Florida. While I'm growing more used to Indiana, I'd enjoy being closer to the coasts and the mountains, if I was in the Carolinas. I've found the people in the South to be friendlier, more to do, etc, and I just don't think she's been exposed to that.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I've lived in Indiana. Hands down the worst. Definitely the worst state in the upper midwest.

But you're putting the cart before the horse. This isn't something to worry about at this time.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:21 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Timberline is right, OP. Wait and see if the relationship makes it to next year. Then wait and see if it survives living together awhile. And in the meantime, you could take her on a vacation to the Carolinas, or wherever, so she can experience the aspects you like about the region.

"mountains"? In Florida?

Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
In this case, if she won't leave Indiana, she is nuts so got to be a deal breaker. I lived in Louisville, KY for two years and I can count on one hand the times I went into Indiana for anything interesting. There is just not much there except for being in between Louisville and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships