Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You keep saying compromise.. what is the compromise?

The person who wants the dog always gets a dog? Sorry, but a dog is a lot of work and only causes stress.

If both people aren't on the same page, a dog probably is not a good idea.
You don't lead on your partner and their child...you don't just stomp your feet about the issue and not discuss the topic like an adult because you get off denying someone something they want.

There could be a 1000 good reasons not to get a dog....either at that time or forever....but one person doesn't get to make the decision in a couple by solitary edict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Correct, I said that a while ago
No you didnt...you said dogs suck...no nuiance...just that you don't like dogs so the op should just put up with what this woman did.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No you didnt...you said dogs suck...no nuiance...just that you don't like dogs so the op should just put up with what this woman did.
Eh, dogs do suck

Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Dump the *****, move out and get a dog. They are much better than most humans anyway.

That is a cruel thing to do to a child. Every time my mom said we were going to the humane society just to look, we came home with a dog.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:03 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM77 View Post
I don't think the advice here is drastic at all. Your missing the point and the issue here is no longer about getting a dog. It's how she treated my son in the process and how she made him feel by telling us we would have to move out if we wanted a dog. This is cold heart behavior and not how I want my son or myself treated. She handled it wrong and in doing so may have lost me and him forever
Exactly!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 PM

720 posts, read 500,385 times
My first thought when reading the OP was to snort and go, "no wonder she doesn't want a dog...you don't need two b------ in the house". But reading through the thread and the OP's update, this might be an issue of miscommunication. As far as the dog discussion goes, I like dogs, had one growing up, I kiss and pet the friendly ones I know, but I have a kid and that's enough for me. I don't think it means anything that she doesn't want a dog. I think she it was a little boneheaded to take a kid to see the dogs because, as anyone with kids knows, kids get excited about stuff like that. Her telling him they would have to move if they wanted a dog sounds worse than it probably was meant to be. We can't distinguish tone and exact words through a secondhand account online, but it's possible she didn't mean it like "my way or the highway" like it sounded. It could be that she's just blunt and it comes off as mean, and the OP might be a little on the sensitive side. Who knows?

OP, if you and your son are living with her, to be straight with you, I wouldn't have even floated the idea of getting a dog. It's...not your house, dude. Dogs are great, but they're a lot of work. You already have the two of you and your kid. I wouldn't tolerate her talking crazy to my son like that if that's what she was doing, but outside of his well-being, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the woman you're sleeping with happy. Dogs are a luxury. Furthermore, it doesn't sound like you're crazy about her or your living arrangement, which might explain some of this petulant vibe that I get from you.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 AM

64 posts, read 100,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I don't know how rude she was to your son, I wasn't there. But from what you said sounded to me like she was trying to say you guys would have to move out and get a bigger place if you were to get a dog. Doesn't sound like she blew him off from what you wrote, but then again you know better since you were there.
She clearly told him we would have to leave.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM77 View Post
She clearly told him we would have to leave.
Find a nice lil place for you and your son... and your new dog.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:43 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Awww, that's just sad. I think you & your son should get your own place (and a dog) and downgrade the gf to 'weekends only'.

That's a contest she loses with my eyes closed.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:14 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
She sounds like she should work with her communication skills. Also if she does things like wants your son to think he would get things but don't give them , that is a bad issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships