Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 3,309 times

Advertisements

I have been reading certain internet forums for a long time, and if there is one thing I noticed is that certain types of people struggle at certain things in life...

...I've always had dating-related problems (in addition to a few others) and came to a professional cross road at my life at the young age of 23. From all my reading of internet forums I noticed a statistical anomaly amongst men who complain about their dating life, a good number were...

...Car salesmen!

...So I did further research, because out of those who complained were rather good at car sales IN AN INDUSTRY WITH VERY HIGH BURNOUT AND TURNOVER.

...Then I interviewed, got hired, turns out I actually like it and I am good at it.

...Which begs the question, there must be a correlation for poor dating life and being good at car sales, what can it possibly be?

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-27-2015 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Funny that you ask. I've been speed dating a couple of times and met at LOT of salesmen, particularly those who travel, who have trouble meeting women. My ex husband does as well.

My observation is they are friendly to meet, can make entertaining casual conversation and follow all the rules of contact, but beyond that they are sometimes 1) boring people (because they tend to try to match their personality to the person they are selling to and therefore don't develop as much personality of their own) OR 2) because the socializing aspect of their job drains them out and the have no energy left for a girlfriend OR 3) because they are just not emotionally available, for reasons unrelated to their career, yet in sales work that is not a problem for them.

I can say all three applied to my ex. So I am probably overly sensitive to it when dating. On the plus side, I have found that successful salesmen are often very accommodating and will work over time to please their woman.

I'm not bashing salesmen in any way. I recently dated a great guy who was good at sales and eager to please, he was just 12 years older than I and I couldn't make that work.

If you are a concerned car salesman, read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman so you can be adept at all of them and find deeper connections with the women you go out with.

Best of luck to you! You sound like a nice intelligent guy.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:04 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
What research did you come across other than your own observations based on Internet messagboards?

People who have dating issues aren't as a result of their job alone.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,206 times
Don't see how a common profession would really play a role on someone's ability to date.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
What research did you come across other than your own observations based on Internet messagboards?

People who have dating issues aren't as a result of their job alone.
I HAVE SPECIFICALLY used the word correlation in the OP that the job is merely a correlation, not causation.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
I think it is because good salesmen are rarely seen as sincere.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think it is because good salesmen are rarely seen as sincere.
The best salesmen are the most sincere. Keeping customer satisfaction high brings and keeps more customers.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:39 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
There is no answer to this thread because it is based on a false premise. Good sales people are not predisposed to being bad at dating or forming romantic relationships because they are good at selling something.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I work in a sales industry and no one of our sales people have issues in the dating world

I would say your job has nothing to do with you ability to find dates since you have already admitted you have always struggled romantically

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-27-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
If you are that good at selling vehicles you would actually be much better at dating since dating is a form of "selling" yourself to someone for romance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships