Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:51 AM

29 posts, read 19,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's 4 people. I'm not into that sort of thing, but if you are, no judgement.
Ok if you aren't in that sort of thing. Let's say for the heck of it you went with a group of your girlfriends to Ireland for 2 weeks and you were in a pub one night and a charming and extremely attractive Irish man came up to you and was flirty and poured the charm big time on you and he asked you to have dinner with him at a very fancy restaurant the following night. And this dinner is only you and him. And mind you , your husband is back at home in the states and doesn't have a clue of what is going on. Would you turn down this charming guys invitation to have dinner with him and tell him that you are a happy married woman or would you go and have a very nice and romantic dinner with this guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
The OP's assertion seems to be that the institution of marriage is purportedly so holy and so transformative, that it fuses two into one, such that leisure or recreation spent apart becomes suspect – especially if said leisure offers at least potential opportunity to be "led astray". In this view, those who insist on such individual pursuits ought not to marry in the first place; and those who casually wave off such pursuits risk the unraveling of their marriage.

Traditionally, there was a double-standard. The wife was expected to remain dainty complaisant house-girl, while the husband would be out with his buddies. With gender-egalitarianism, such discrimination became impossible. What to do, if we seek to retain "traditional" veneration for marriage, but in a non-discriminatory way? The solution is to constrain both marital partners, turning marriage into a lockbox for both.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teritownstp View Post
Ok if you aren't in that sort of thing. Let's say for the heck of it you went with a group of your girlfriends to Ireland for 2 weeks and you were in a pub one night and a charming and extremely attractive Irish man came up to you and was flirty and poured the charm big time on you and he asked you to have dinner with him at a very fancy restaurant the following night. And this dinner is only you and him. And mind you , your husband is back at home in the states and doesn't have a clue of what is going on. Would you turn down this charming guys invitation to have dinner with him and tell him that you are a happy married woman or would you go and have a very nice and romantic dinner with this guy?
I'd turn him down.

Does your husband want to go to a strip club? I'm trying to understand the point of this thread.

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
FWIW I would turn down the solicitation. It would not even take a second thought.

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Teritownstp, I've traveled alone (as well as with girlfriends) to foreign countries and been asked out. Yes, I've turned them down because I am in a relationship and it's not appropriate. I am not sure why you find this so hard to believe. My commitment to my partner and our relationship is not only valid within US borders.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:

Guys hit on me right here where I live. Heck, the guy who sold me my bike was young, handsome and putting on the moves and I ignored it. I won't be unfaithful to my husband because I love him and would never betray his trust. Just because I would be in another country doesn't pertain at all.

Heck, my husband flew for a living. He was in Thailand, Philippines, tons of countries where women can be had for a drink. I'm sure he was tempted at times, but I know how he feels about these things.

If someone is going to be unfaithful they can accomplish that on their lunch hour at work.

And you totally missed the joke.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I would turn him down.

OP, this isn't about your husband. This is all about YOUR trust issues.

Let's say for the heck of it your husband went with a group of his friends to Ireland for 2 weeks and they were in a pub one night and a charming and extremely attractive Irish waitress came up to him and was flirty and poured the charm big time on him and she asked him to have dinner with her at a very fancy restaurant the following night. And this dinner is only her and him. And you are back at home in the states and doesn't have a clue of what is going on. Would HE turn down this charming woman's invitation to have dinner with her and tell her that HE is a happy married woman or would HE go and have a very nice and romantic dinner with this woman?

That's what this is about. Period.

If you don't know the answer, you don't trust him.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
I just read this, this morning written by another "new poster." Except is was a man in a grocery store asking a woman out to coffee or something like that. I think that thread was closed.

You know, most people are perfectly capable of saying no/controlling their own actions. We aren't "animals" who rut with anyone in sight. Those who are in love don't find it hard at all to be loyal and faithful to their significant others. If someone can't control themselves, maybe that someone shouldn't be married at all since they obviously don't love their partner.

Found the post I was talking about.. sounds familiar:

Quote:
Well just be cautious. You never know people change all the time. What would you do if you were out grocery shopping alone and you came across a handsome and hottie guy who you couldn't resist and he kept flirting with you and he wanted to have a coffee date with you? Would you go with this guy out for coffee and keep it a secret from your husband?
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...onships-3.html

Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 PM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
Quote:
That is what a call a dedicated husband. When you marry someone it is supposed to be the 2 couples together . Nothing wrong with staying home and being with the family. Strip clubs are for your single years when you are testing the waters of dating and sexual encounters. Not when you go in front of god and commit yourself to the person who you want to the spend the rest of your life with
I think ultimately, you just have to discuss these thoughts with him. It is your strong belief and you both should express to each other what you think about the situation.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 PM

29 posts, read 19,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Guys hit on me right here where I live. Heck, the guy who sold me my bike was young, handsome and putting on the moves and I ignored it. I won't be unfaithful to my husband because I love him and would never betray his trust. Just because I would be in another country doesn't pertain at all.

Heck, my husband flew for a living. He was in Thailand, Philippines, tons of countries where women can be had for a drink. I'm sure he was tempted at times, but I know how he feels about these things.

If someone is going to be unfaithful they can accomplish that on their lunch hour at work.

And you totally missed the joke.
So you can assume it is the same with your husband that he will not fool around behind your back when he travels on business? If you found out he did, would you talk it over with him or would he be out the door with all of his belongings when he got home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships