Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times

Advertisements

Start a family, provided you have someone to start a family with. Women your age tend to be a bit desperate to have children and get married, so they start looking for a husband and a father to their future children. Men do pick up on this, and the smart ones run for the hills. I want my woman to want me for who I am, not to fulfill a role in her life, that half the male population could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:49 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Start a family, provided you have someone to start a family with. Women your age tend to be a bit desperate to have children and get married, so they start looking for a husband and a father to their future children. Men do pick up on this, and the smart ones run for the hills. I want my woman to want me for who I am, not to fulfill a role in her life, that half the male population could.
As I've stated before, I'm not desperate in that I'd settle for any man. I think it's extremely important to be selective about who you choose to father your children or spend the rest of your life with. I can't speak for all women but I think I speak for most independent and intelligent women when I say just because I want those things doesn't mean I want them tomorrow, or that I'd settle. So if I go out on a couple of dates with someone and see we're clearly not a match, I wouldn't pursue anything with that person just for the sake of having a partner and children.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So lately I've been thinking of applying to law school, I've taken a couple of the LSAT practice tests and have scored in the high 160's, which should be enough to het me into a decent law school. However I am 33 years old and single with no kids, I have a well paying job that I really don't enjoy anymore in a field that no matter how much I try to like I just don't. I know it will be a daunting task working full time and going to law school part time, but I really haven't enjoyed what I've been doing for a living and can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life.

I spoke to my dad about this today and he said its a bad idea, he said I should be concentrating on getting married and starting a family rather than go back to school. Now my dad is 75 years old so he has a very old school way of thinking, but throughout my life he's always been very encouraging and sportive of my education. So obviously that he said this to me was pretty disappointing, I feel like I can pursue an education for a second career and still get married and have a family, but he's still my dad and I feel like maybe he has a point?

Anyway was just looking for some advice and to see if anybody else has been in a similar situation.
Do you want to be a rich lawyer or a poor mom?

You need kids like you need another hole in your head!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do you want to be a rich lawyer or a poor mom?

You need kids like you need another hole in your head!
So you've been in a similar situation, then?

Because she pretty explicitly asked for advice from "anybody who's been in a similar situation."

Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
So lately I've been thinking of applying to law school, I've taken a couple of the LSAT practice tests and have scored in the high 160's, which should be enough to het me into a decent law school. However I am 33 years old and single with no kids, I have a well paying job that I really don't enjoy anymore in a field that no matter how much I try to like I just don't. I know it will be a daunting task working full time and going to law school part time, but I really haven't enjoyed what I've been doing for a living and can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life.

I spoke to my dad about this today and he said its a bad idea, he said I should be concentrating on getting married and starting a family rather than go back to school. Now my dad is 75 years old so he has a very old school way of thinking, but throughout my life he's always been very encouraging and sportive of my education. So obviously that he said this to me was pretty disappointing, I feel like I can pursue an education for a second career and still get married and have a family, but he's still my dad and I feel like maybe he has a point?

Anyway was just looking for some advice and to see if anybody else has been in a similar situation.
Yup. Chalk it up to "old school". Besides, going to law school is one way to meet a future partner. Run that by him, and I bet he opens his wallet to pay for law school.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Likely finding your perfect mate will be a lot harder than law school (if your many threads are any indication), so I say go with furthering your education.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Chalk it up to "old school". Besides, going to law school is one way to meet a future partner. Run that by him, and I bet he opens his wallet to pay for law school.
Haha, like your way of thinking! I actually was thinking of saying that just to sell him on the idea, but realized I don't have to sell to anyone but myself really

I wouldn't let him pay for it anyway, he paid for my undergrad, and he's saving up for a condo in Miami.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
They could probably also have sex with half of the male population on the first date, yet you don't run for the hills when they want to have sex with you immediately. Consider it a greater compliment that they'd want to marry you and pass your DNA on to the next generation.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Back to the law school issue.... I strongly suggest before you incur a lot of debt going to law school that you take a good look at the job opportunities for lawyers in your area. If you go to a top school and do well or graduate in the top 10% of a medium-level school, then you should have an easier time finding a job. Mediocre law school with mediocre grades may make it much harder. To make top dollar as an attorney, you will be required to work a lot. It's also a fairly high stress profession.

Finally, if you have no idea what a lawyer does day to day, you need to figure out how to shadow someone. It's nothing like you see on TV. You don't graduate law school knowing how to practice law. The worst case scenario would be for you to incur the debt and decide you hate practicing law.

I'm not saying don't do it but you need to research it thoroughly.

Last edited by Rowan123; 07-23-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 02:17 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
As I've stated before, I'm not desperate in that I'd settle for any man. I think it's extremely important to be selective about who you choose to father your children or spend the rest of your life with. I can't speak for all women but I think I speak for most independent and intelligent women when I say just because I want those things doesn't mean I want them tomorrow, or that I'd settle. So if I go out on a couple of dates with someone and see we're clearly not a match, I wouldn't pursue anything with that person just for the sake of having a partner and children.
Good, I didnt insinuate that you were. But if you dont have a man to start a family with right now, it isnt really an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships