Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 PM

10 posts, read 42,539 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that this is a long post but I really need help figuring this situation out and I want to give some background.

Not in the Mood

I joined a new gym a few months ago. I was minding my own business at the gym. I've been pretty focused on my career and not really thinking about guys or putting out the vibe that I want to meet someone.

There is a personal trainer at the gym that I noticed was attractive but it was kind of like making an observation that a leaf is green - pretty detached. As I said I just wasn't in that frame of mind.

Getting my Attention
One day, to my surprise, I was stretching and I looked over and caught this personal trainer looking at me and then he embarrassingly looked away. I didn't think much of it - if he actually was looking at me it was a nice little ego boost but I considered also that he might have been looking at someone or something else even though there weren't any other females in the area at the time.

The next time I came into the gym he was standing near the weights and he appeared to be moving his head around to try to catch a glimpse of me as I walked towards some stairs. I noted it but again didn't think much of it.

He the same thing again a few days later.

Another day I was talking to a guy in the seating area and I caught him looking through a window embedded in the wall at me.

Another day I walked by and he stopped talking to the person he was talking to, stared at me and smiled. It kind of caught me off guard so I looked straight ahead and focused on where I was headed. At that point though I realized that this was not just in my imagination and because he is attractive it got me in the mood to respond back.

So, I was stretching and saw him from a distance and I held eye contact for a really long time to see what he'd do - he held it.

The next time I came in he walked by me and as he walked by he looked slowly up and down my body.

The next time I came in I was stretching after my workout and I noticed he positioned himself near the stretch area. We held prolonged eye contact with each other and smiled. To drive the point home even further as I was leaving I walked by him and made eye contact and smiled again. This time he didn't smile, he just stared intently at me.

It's complicated

I discovered that he is dating someone (they've been together a few months)- that someone is also a personal trainer at the gym. I've only ever exchanged a couple of words with her and she seems kind of bitchy to be honest.

After finding that out I was a bit discouraged but I considered that maybe things weren't going that well for him and he was keeping his options open so I tried to keep an open mind.

However, because she is often around I didn't want to approach him. He was really going to have to figure out a way to approach me. Plus, he started this whole thing. In addition, because he has a girlfriend I want to be too aggressive.

Now I'm Confused

I come in the next time and he doesn't initiate anything, although he did seem busy with a client and his girlfriend was nearby. Ok that's cool.

The next time I come in same thing, although I notice there is some time where he isn't with a client. Still no interaction with me.

At this point I feel that the ball is in his court and he's not doing anything with it so the situation is loosing it's momentum.

Also at this point making eye contact with him and smiling seems overboard and redundant and I've begun to mentally distance myself from the situation. He entered the gym as I was sitting near the entrance, we caught each other's eyes and then I looked down quickly at my reading material out of instinct. He probably thinks I'm turned off now.

Since then he doesn't look at me and there is just absolutely nothing.

Too Complicated?

What is happening here? I really don't get this!

My question is: Should I do anything here or just move on? The problem is I don't meet many people and I'm not attracted to people that often. I think that's why I'm stuck on this.

My other question is: Why would he do all of that if he didn't intend to come talk to me? Was it just to fuel his ego? Was he just playing around - he took it as far as he could go and now the fun is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
I'd be willing to bet his girlfriend caught on and put the kibosh on the whole thing. Which is just one more excellent reason to not get involved with someone in a relationship.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:46 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
What don't you get about "he has a girlfriend"?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 PM

70 posts, read 57,362 times
What would you think of this guy if you were his girlfriend and he was checking out some random chick at the gym? You've never even spoken to the guy, why waste time thinking about him?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
Did you make a post with this same exact dilemma a few months ago? Gym guy who was super into you but then cooled off?

And...wait...there was another one recently where the woman timed her gym visits according to when she thought he'd be there, and he kept changing his schedule. Is this you, as well?

Only advice to give: it's not going to happen, move on.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 AM

111 posts, read 115,865 times
Move on OP. Guy is in a relationship and it doesn't matter how long they have been together. Relationship is a commitment and there is no need, no reason and it's immoral to meddle. Just shrug it off.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Guys look at girls. Especially in gyms. Just because he was eyeballing you doesnt mean he wants to get married and have a baby with you. He probably does it to lots of girls.

If he was interested, he'd let you know.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Wait, so you've never actually spoken but because he's looked your way a few times you think he's into you? Either way, he has a girlfriend. Leave him alone.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:10 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
Oh boy, if I had a dime for every thread started about a girl crushing on a guy (usually a personal trainer) at the gym....

Anyway he has a girlfriend, so why are you sniffing around him? Or do you think because you think she seemed kinda "bitchy" it's totally justifiable to go after him?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Your desire for attention has got you obsessing over this guy.
find a different focus ,and move on before the fantasy snares you into trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships