Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:10 PM

116 posts, read 138,011 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just the people I'm surrounded by, but all anyone every talks about is boyfriends and girlfriends and relationships. I feel like I'm stuck in junior high, are there not more important things? I would love a boyfriend, but I believe in the whole "it happens when you least expect it" cliche, so I personally never rush anything, and I don't go "looking" for love. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I remember a random man who was hitting on me asked me if I had a boyfriend, I told him no. He almost got upset with me for being single. WTF kind of sense does that make? Shouldn't a man who is interested in a woman be glad she's single? Do guys enjoy "stealing" people's girlfriends?

I just hate when people question my single-ness. Like, is that all that matters? How will a boyfriend make me anymore interesting?

I have one particular cousin who always asks about my relationship status and literally nothing else.

I also can't stand these pathetic whiny FB posts from other single people that are always posting forever alone memes. This one sap finally got a GF (I still don't know how since I found him juvenile, and don't think he has suitable boyfriend qualities, but different strokes) and he goes on and how he's "finally happy" like getting laid cured his "depression". I don't understand how anyone could date someone who reeks desperation. Desperate people are more likely to settle, IMO. If I dealt with a man who appeared to be desperate I'd always wonder if I was someone he settled for, or I was the best he could do.

Am I the only single person who's not pent up by being single? Don't get me wrong I live for male attention, but a relationship(even though I'd like one eventually) isn't really on my top list of priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:13 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Different people have different priorities for their lifestyle and life choices. Those who have more priority on relationships will naturally put more importance on them.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post

I remember a random man who was hitting on me asked me if I had a boyfriend, I told him no. He almost got upset with me for being single. WTF kind of sense does that make?
Probably just his brand of 'game'. He thought he was being charming, and wound up looking like a creep.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post

Am I the only single person who's not pent up by being single?
No, there are plenty of other mature, responsible adults out there that have self-worth and confidence that don't feel the need to be in a relationship because they can take care of themselves.

IMHO, when a person is that hell-bent on being in a relationship, they have self-esteem issues and need someone else to prove that they are worthy.

If you don't love you, nobody else can love you either.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
No, there are plenty of other mature, responsible adults out there that have self-worth and confidence that don't feel the need to be in a relationship because they can take care of themselves.

IMHO, when a person is that hell-bent on being in a relationship, they have self-esteem issues and need someone else to prove that they are worthy.

If you don't love you, nobody else can love you either.
Hell, I have self esteem issues and that's one of the reasons I DON'T want to be in a relationship. I don't want someone putting up with my whiny, sometimes self loathing ways. I think I'd make an annoying and emotionally high maintenance girlfriend. Until i can repair that and deem myself emotionally and mentally fit for dating, I will date. That is as selfless as it gets.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
i am perpetually single and quite happy with it.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
LOL! I love this rant! Yes, OP, of course there's more to life than relationships. Think of all the drama you're missing out on, by not having serial relationships. And what do you mean by "people question [your] singleness"? They ask you why you're single? There definitely needs to be a list of snappy comebacks to that, it's a really dumb question. (Like: "Gosh, it seems that as soon as the guys find out I'm trans-gender, they drop me like a hot potato!" or, "I just haven't been able to find a guy who's into bestiality, yet. Can you set me up with someone?")

Find new friends, ones who have more going on in their lives than just their relationships. Go to travel seminars, volunteer for political or enviro activist orgs, go to book or museum lectures, take evening classes at the local college/university, whatever. Get yourself a new crowd. And avoid your cousin, or ask him if he doesn't ever get tired of asking you the same question.

Blow people off, and live life the way you want. You go, girl!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
The desire to connect with others is not socially abnormal.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The desire to connect with others is not socially abnormal.
I know it's not, but OMG. Get a grip and stop putting kitty cat and wiener dog on a pedestal. No wonder people get used.

Whenever I come in contact with a romantically desperate man, the sociopath inside me almost wants to take advantage of his love sick ways, but the Christian in side me tells me it's wrong.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Being focused on getting laid is another issue entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships