Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:05 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight5 View Post
My fiance and I got engaged 3 months ago.

3 weeks ago, he got mad (at I don't even know what), started ignoring me, told me to leave him alone, yelled at me, and basically started acting like a very big jerk. When I asked him if we could meet to discuss what was going on - he simply said 'not interested.'

I have no idea what made him into such a monster overnight - he wasn't like this, otherwise I would have never gotten engaged to him. But I could not continue to pursue him after he completely disrespected me during our last conversation where I was basically begging him to ask me what I had done, and he kept hanging up on me/telling me he didn't have time for my nonsense.

Anyway, since then I have not contacted him, and I assume our engagement is over?

Nonetheless, we both still have each other on social media. Out of respect of not knowing what's happening between us, feeling down, upset and confused - I have not been active, or posting anything. HIM on the other hand is acting like his life is oh so perfect, posting pictures of him going out for dinners and dessert and what not. Like seriously, what the hell? I did not say a WORD back to him when he was yelling at me for something I wasn't even sure of. And he's going around on social media making it seem like life's all great for him?

I'm sitting here waiting for some sort of official "hey, sorry this won't work for me anymore because such and such" to confirm that this engagement over, and HE is out having dinner and drinks and is trying to shove it in my face?!
He actually said that to you and you haven't been in contact since? Return his engagement ring and tell him until he learns how to communicate and behave like an adult that the engagement and relationship are both over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 PM

698 posts, read 587,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWindBlowing View Post
I would not appreciate being treated the way he treats you, so for me the relationship would be over. He seems to have gotten cold feet and not able to deal with it in a mature manner.
That's what I think too. He changed his mind and doesn't have the guts to talk about it. He just wants you to get angry and disappear. Pawn the ring, pocket the cash and find someone else.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Communication is very important. If healthy communication channels are not present at this time when you two are engaged, it is something that will need to improve even if you still go through with the marriage.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
You dodged a cannonball. As has been stated, return the ring (be classy, don't keep it) and get on with your happy life. You can't un-ring that bell, you don't have to, and you shouldn't want to. He kept that tirade hidden for what? This is a preview of things to come. Get a return receipt, insure the ring, send it out, disconnect from him on social media, and find other, better prospects after you take time to think about what you missed (and it may be nothing, but allows you to mourn).

Good luck to you.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
You know none of his friends/ have common friends who could give you some closure and tell you what is going on??

I would guess he found somebody else. Even if not, he is not treating you with respect and I wouldn't take him back if he tries. He just showed you his real self and it isn't pretty.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times
I would be devastated and livid both at the same time. This sounds very difficult to deal with especially considering you dont even get the respect to have an honest explanation. If he doesnt come around, I hope you can move on and find a much better partner.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:21 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
You dodged a cannonball. As has been stated, return the ring (be classy, don't keep it) and get on with your happy life. .
OP, this is what engagements are for; a last chance to find out if there are any red flags, and if the partner truly is marriage material. Yours isn't.

You're not the person who was saying he was like this even before the engagement, and that he's just "sensitive", you both are, blah blah? If so, face it; it's not going to work. Call it off, and if you have issues, work on them before you get into another relationship. Otherwise, just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships