Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM

221 posts, read 318,322 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend (27M) and I (28F) just broke up after about 9 months of dating. I'm not really planning to jump into anything anytime soon, but I am looking ahead to the moment when I am ready to get back out there. I have never had any luck meeting guys in real life so I know online dating will by my avenue.

I initially was on okcupid and plentyoffish, but I was younger and not at all ready to be dating (I'm kind of a late bloomer in all aspects of my life ). A few years later I was on match.com for a good two years and went on a small handful of unsuccessful dates. Never even got a second date with any of them. I switched to eharmony thinking I might have better or different luck and it was even worse. As a last resort, I tried tinder just for the heck of it and that was where I ended up meeting my boyfriend. He was the first person that I matched with that I actually went on a date with.

Now that I'm thinking about having to get back out there, I'm wondering where I should start. I downloaded tinder again today just to test the waters and I'm remembering how much the whole process sucks, and I'm not sure if I can find success on that app again.

What are your favorite online dating sites? Where did you find the most success? I'm a totally normal girl. I'm a teacher. I'm nice. I tend to be a little shy. I'm fairly inexperienced as compared to other women my age. I'm not trashy, I'm not looking for hookups or one night stands. I'm looking for a respectable guy that will accept me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,425 times
Gosh, it sounds like you probably have as much and more knowledge about dating sites as anyone with all the ones you have been on.
Glad you are taking a break. Sorry I cannot help you. I have heard too many horror stories about dating sites and don't know much about them. Guess I am too old for them. When and if I am ready to start dating, I'd prefer to do it the old fashioned way--meeting someone face-to-face instead of on a computer.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:59 PM

304 posts, read 344,261 times
I don't envy you at all. Horror stories about all of them, actually. You just have to be you. I did meet my wife on POF. So there is hope for you.

It's hard when you don't really get out and meet people. OLD is a pretty convenient way to start conversations with people. I wouldn't want to do it again though.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM

576 posts, read 824,460 times
I tried online dating several years ago but nothing came out of it even though I met few guys on it.It just didn't progress any further .I know people who met their SO online but I never had any luck with it

I found that some guys only want one thing and don't want to get serious.Also there are so many men who lie about their age, they say they are 22, 25, 28, 30 but they are really in their 40s, 50s and 60s.......and even guys who are already in a relationships or are married men.

If you want to use these online dating sites I suggest you be very careful when meeting these men because alot of times they are not who they say they really are, they will lie to you and tell you things you want to hear

good luck

Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,974 times
Farmers only.com

Obviously.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:06 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Depends
I got two boyfriends off craigslist and one off facebook.
OKC got dates.
POF got me nothing.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:57 AM

474 posts, read 384,726 times
Best online dating site?

Kinda like searching for the best STD, isn't it?

Is there really one that's actually... um... "good"?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,067,471 times
I think it depends the area you live in. Try them all when you are ready. Someone mentioned farmers only (I think he was joking , though), if you are in a rural place, that could be good. Also J Date and Christian Mingle, I think LDS have a site, too. I don't think you have to be religious to choose one or more of those. I know someone who met his fiancée on Christian Mingle. I once dated someone I met on match the better part of a year. I heard of someone who met their spouse on match.com, a friend and a friend of a friend did too. And a guy who had trouble with finding women (a really good guy) found his girlfriend on plenty of fish. She seemed like a nice girl. It's good to just get out there, give people a chance when you do go online. (keeping safety in mind of course) Facebook could work too. Good luck. I think the best site, even if you stay in the same area can change. OKC and Zoosk could work too.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:40 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
met my GF on POF. Was on it for less than a week, and got 3 decent dates out of it. One ended up working out.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 PM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships