Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timer10 View Post
My boyfriend yelled in my face and said "I'm the worst person he's ever met." In an argument and later said he didn't mean it.

What kind of things should not be said or tolerated during arguments. Is this something forgivable?
Well if he's still your boyfriend, I guess that means he's just as bad as you are or he can't do any better than you, so who cares what he thinks?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
So if he feels that way, why is he still with you? Can he explain that to you? Or does he just make excuses for losing his temper?

Even if he doesn't actually believe you're "the worst" his true opinion can't be much different or he'd not have said it at all.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 9,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
This is right on track. It would make me wonder how he really feels about you.
I agree with this as well.

He could have told me how much he disliked my behavior rather than taking a shot at ME as a person.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvc View Post
Unbelievable that most people here say 'walk away from this guy'. Anyone who's ever been in a long term relationship is aware that
1. couples argue
2. individuals can say hurtful things during said arguments because they are pissed, not because they hate the other person. That's where apologies and forgiveness come into the picture.

Best conclusion to be drawn here is that CD forum may not be the best place to get relationship advice.
Where should the line be drawn then? How do you know what is OK to tolerate and what isn't?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handelmus View Post
OP, why don't you say what the argument was about, or what led to his comment? For all we know, it could have been uncalled for, or it could have been totally justified. We have no way of knowing if you don't tell the whole story.
I was being moody because I couldn't get over other things he's said to me in the past. Things like, "you make me so mad, I want to kill you." DURING an argument as well. And then one time I told him I really wanted to just die, and he said this (despite knowing I'm a spiritual individual): "hah, you think you're gonna die and easily go to heaven? Look at all your bad deeds before wishing for death." - this hurt me a lot because I take religion very seriously, and I would never comment on someone else's good deeds or sins especially if they were already feeling suicidal.

Maybe I wouldn't be so hurt at his comment if this was the first time he said something hurtful. His issue with me is that I'm passive-agressive often (which I AM after he says things to me like this)

When I'm mad at him though, I think the worst thing I said to him was that he's an idiot (because he lied to me about something I was extremely upset over) - I've never said things that I KNOW would make him hurt or cringe. I usually just shut-down when I'm mad - which I guess bothers him as he is 'very expressive.'

Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
Sooo no one is going to ask sweetie pie what she said/did to make her boyfriend lash out? We're just going to decide he's a jerk and she should leave him? Yeah, okay.

You haven't been here long enough.
The standard CD-Rel response to most relationship problems is "Dump him/her."

Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So if he feels that way, why is he still with you? Can he explain that to you? Or does he just make excuses for losing his temper?

Even if he doesn't actually believe you're "the worst" his true opinion can't be much different or he'd not have said it at all.
When he was done being angry, he said that 'obviously he doesn't think I'm the worst person ever, otherwise why would he be with me.' and so I believed that - which does make sense to a certain degree. But seriously, is it fair for people to say SUCH mean things out of anger that have the power to resonate in someone else's mind forever?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
I was being moody because I couldn't get over other things he's said to me in the past. Things like, "you make me so mad, I want to kill you." DURING an argument as well. And then one time I told him I really wanted to just die, and he said this (despite knowing I'm a spiritual individual): "hah, you think you're gonna die and easily go to heaven? Look at all your bad deeds before wishing for death." - this hurt me a lot because I take religion very seriously, and I would never comment on someone else's good deeds or sins especially if they were already feeling suicidal.

Maybe I wouldn't be so hurt at his comment if this was the first time he said something hurtful. His issue with me is that I'm passive-agressive often (which I AM after he says things to me like this)

When I'm mad at him though, I think the worst thing I said to him was that he's an idiot (because he lied to me about something I was extremely upset over) - I've never said things that I KNOW would make him hurt or cringe. I usually just shut-down when I'm mad - which I guess bothers him as he is 'very expressive.'
If he hurts you this much, why are you with him?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:

You both need couples counseling if you want your relationship to last ... in particular, you both need to learn how to "fight" fairly. Arguing can actually improve your relationship as long as you know how to do it correctly/fairly.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You haven't been here long enough.
The standard CD-Rel response to most relationship problems is "Dump him/her."
So this ...

Quote:

...sounds like two people who just need to "work through" their disagreements??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships