Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
In your opinion, can living together be the end in itself?
Living together can absolutely be an end to itself. As could being with someone romantically but never living together or getting married, which is how many older people prefer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, the "shelf life". In my situation, I don't think either one of us is looking for this relationship to be anything but for the rest of our lives. And I think that we fit well together because neither one of us has strong feelings about marriage being what commits us to each other. Obviously, this is a "to each their own" situation- I just mentioned my personal one in response to those who insist on seeing things in black and white.
Were either or both of you previously married and 40s+? I've seen this experienced here, no desire to marry, but still live together and join assets/POA/living will, etc., by those who were previously married once or twice before. This is how my mom feels, and a number of friends who are divorced after a long term first marriage or second marriage.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:22 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Were either or both of you previously married and 40s+? I've seen this experienced here, no desire to marry, but still live together and join assets/POA/living will, etc., by those who were previously married once or twice before. This is how my mom feels, and a number of friends who are divorced after a long term first marriage or second marriage.
Yup, exactly.

Though, in our case, I'd change it from "no desire to marry" to a "perhaps if the stars align in just the right way, we'll do it"

Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
BTW, for any single women reading this, I would sincerely recommend NOT moving in together if you want to marry the man at some point. Living together kills the romance--I don't know why, but it does.
I agree with this. Not only does it kill the romance, but men are generally reluctant to get married. They like the idea of living together without having to commit. So living together completely takes away a man's incentive to want to get married. Men don't think like women do. Women often see living together as a stepping stone toward marriage. Men usually don't.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:17 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with this. Not only does it kill the romance, but men are generally reluctant to get married. They like the idea of living together without having to commit. So living together completely takes away a man's incentive to want to get married. Men don't think like women do. Women often see living together as a stepping stone toward marriage. Men usually don't.
That doesnt make sense. You move in together either way - married or not. The romance only dies in one situation and not the other?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Why the artificial clock, why the hurry to get married?.
The clock isn't artificial. It's based on the reality that after about age 35, women's fertility drops like a rock. If this guy isn't it, she doesn't have a whole lot of time to find someone else if she wants to have a kid.....and most women want kids.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Moving in together is fine to do, but it sure takes the motivation out of the equation to get married. Move in together, have a kid, girlfriend waiting for proposal. Why would the guy propose? He's got everything he needs without a legal document.

The ONLY way to move in together, if marriage is a goal, is to set a time frame. Proposal in a year, or moving out. Few people have the backbone to do this
I agree with all of this, especially the bolded. That's why it's best to not move in together in the first place if you want to get married. It's way too easy for one party to string the other along. Moving in together means it's much harder for the one being strung along to end the relationship.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 08-18-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You said nothing about marriage in the post I referenced. You were talking about lenders. Last I looked lenders didn't issue marriage licenses.
He was making an analogy. The principle between the two is the same.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with all of this, especially the bolded. That's why it's best to not move in together in the first place if you want to get married. It's way too easy for one party to strong the other along. Moving in together means it's much harder for the one being strung along to end the relationship.
At the same time, I would want to move in together pre-marriage to see how we'd do living together, but I do understand this side of the argument.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
That doesnt make sense. You move in together either way - married or not. The romance only dies in one situation and not the other?
The romance aspect is less important to me than the idea that living together generally means less commitment. That's why men like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships