Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower88 View Post
Nagging? Where have I been nagging? I haven't even MENTIONED marriage in six months.
I agree. But if the guy doesn't want to get married - then he might see it as nagging simply because you are bringing up something that he doesn't want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 AM

19 posts, read 56,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OP you sound completely reasonable, but let me just ask you, if you were to answer for your BF, what is the worst part about your relationship?

Hm, we fight once in a while like every couple, and he says we're both pretty stubborn which sometimes complicates the communication after a fight. I wouldn't say it's a big deal andhe has also never told me it is.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
To be honest, it sounds like he either just doesn't want to get married in general or he doesn't want to marry you specifically. I was with my ex for 3 years and I wanted to get married - he kept dragging his feet. We finally got engaged but the whole time I felt like he was so scared that I could barely talk to him about the wedding. With my husband, he wanted to marry me. He brought up wanting to marry me all the time - it wasn't just me. He proposed after 2 years and I never needed to pressure him because he wanted the same thing that I wanted.
Same.

I was with my ex for five years, and while we talked marriage (always with him bringing it up, I never did, even though I was in favor of it...didn't want to be the "pressuring girl") it was apparent that it wasn't something he was sold on. It would have been disastrous, anyway.

My husband wanted to marry me, and was very verbally clear about that, pretty early on. We got married a little over a year after we met. When guys know, they know. They don't waffle.

But I've never, ever been the one to bring up or press for marriage.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:25 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
The way I see it; you for all practical purposes already proposed to him, and he turned you down. So, move on. He's not that into you, or he has commitment issues. Either way, you don't need that in your life. It's over, OP. You can do better than this guy.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:25 AM

Bottom line is that marriage is something that, ideally, both people really, really want.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 AM

745 posts, read 800,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower88 View Post
Nagging? Where have I been nagging? I haven't even MENTIONED marriage in six months.
But you've mentioned it multiple times... it's nagging whether or not you see it that way. If he's going to marry you, it's going to be on his time frame, not yours. If you aren't down with that, leave...

Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I agree. But if the guy doesn't want to get married - then he might see it as nagging simply because you are bringing up something that he doesn't want to do.
Agreed.

Mentioning something, even once, that the other person isn't comfortable with having brought up can constitute "nagging" in the other person's mind.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
But you've mentioned it multiple times... it's nagging whether or not you see it that way. If he's going to marry you, it's going to be on his time frame, not yours. If you aren't down with that, leave...
Noting, at various points in time throughout the course of a three-year long relationship, that marriage is something you ultimately want for yourself and your future, isn't nagging. It's communicating what you want in life. It's only "nagging" when the other person doesn't.

And if the other person doesn't want what you want, why stay together? There's no point in staying in a relationship where there is no hope of an outcome that is satisfactory to both parties.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's the kind of thing that some guys like to do to be dismissive--bring up anything they don't want to talk about, and it's nagging. Total red flag.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
I don't think that everyone would see this as nagging. I think that someone that doesn't want to get married but just hasn't had the guts to flat out say this might see it as nagging - but it's really not nagging. They've been together for 3 years - not 3 weeks. How long of a time frame does he need? Most guys know pretty quickly. The only couples that I know that were together for years and years before getting married were couples where neither one of them really cared about getting married - or they were really young when they started dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships