Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:18 PM

52,248 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

I would think the no football fans would make it tough to find, it seems like every guy I know is into football.

I personally don't watch football or sports in general.... but I don't know of a lot of guys like myself..... which is probably a good thing, the more I think about it.

Deal breakers for me would include having too many kids, smoking, gambling, poor financial habits and not having a sense of humor.

Sense of humor is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would think the no football fans would make it tough to find, it seems like every guy I know is into football.
Not my experience (but a lot of that is self-selecting...I'm not generally attracted to guys who happen to be ultra-interested in athletics). Every serious relationship I've been in has been with a guy who just doesn't care at all about football. None of them men in my family care about it, either, though most of them are either huge baseball fans or are completely ambivalent toward sports in general, particularly televised ones.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

I personally don't watch football or sports in general.... but I don't know of a lot of guys like myself..... which is probably a good thing, the more I think about it.

Deal breakers for me would include having too many kids, smoking, gambling, poor financial habits and not having a sense of humor.

Sense of humor is a must.
My husband isn't into football or most sports. I think we'd both prefer going to a live game than watch at home, but we're not sports people.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Metaphysique, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants intellectual commonality over some ideal of physical attraction. Of course I knew that, they even call this "sapiosexuality" now, do they not? And some underestimate just how many nerds and geeks are out there looking for love. Probably has a lot to do with geographical location, too. A good sized, even medium sized, city will have plenty of weird, kinky, geeky people for someone like me.

To the poster back on page 5 with the acronym confusion, sorry...FWB= friends with benefits, OKC=OK Cupid.

I find it odd, the almost defensive reaction to the dealbreakers listed by Metaphysique and me. Why would you care what my dealbreakers are? It's not like those are the dealbreakers of even a majority of potential mates out there for you? If I were less selective, I'd have too many dates to even keep up with.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not my experience (but a lot of that is self-selecting...I'm not generally attracted to guys who happen to be ultra-interested in athletics). Every serious relationship I've been in has been with a guy who just doesn't care at all about football. None of them men in my family care about it, either, though most of them are either huge baseball fans or are completely ambivalent toward sports in general, particularly televised ones.
I prefer men who aren't sports fans as well. I haven't had much trouble finding them.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,282 times
Women that have no interest in outdoor activities.

- I've been hiking, riding and mountain biking my entire life from a very young age. It's hard for me to date someone who thinks the outdoors are disgusting. They don't have to be good at it or anything - I just want a partner that can enjoy herself outdoors, year-round. Luckily it's pretty common in Colorado.

Women that talk about politics too much - I went on a date with a political science grad that was going to law school last week. Cute girl, but very conservative and just talked about news, Mitt and Trump the entire time. I'm sure she thought I was dense too, I just couldn't get into the conversation.

- I identify as an atheist and I'm fairly liberal. That said, I couldn't careless about politics or social issues for the most part. I don't care what she identifies as, so long as she's a open minded, decent person. I'm glad those people are around for social progress and all that, but I just want to work and enjoy my simple life in the mountains

Dog Haters

- Well, Duh.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Women that talk about politics too much - I went on a date with a political science grad that was going to law school last week. Cute girl, but very conservative and just talked about news, Mitt and Trump the entire time. I'm sure she thought I was dense too, I just couldn't get into the conversation.
I hope you didn't find it surprising that someone whose degree is in political science was interested in talking about political issues.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I hope you didn't find it surprising that someone whose degree is in political science was interested in talking about political issues.
Not at all, I didn't even know what she did for a living prior to the date. I met her at the bar and she overheard me talking about being from Canada, same town as her biological father. We talked for a bit and exchanged information. What we did never really came up, then during the actual date that's all we talked about.

She was a tourist anyway.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:38 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OK! I found where we're not on the same page.

Those things that you consider superficial and petty...if they are minor things in a person's life, then they don't become dealbreakers at all. If they are only superficial to the person in question, then they don't apply, as dealbreakers.

I mean the people who build their whole persona around that stuff.

I worked with a woman who never stopped talking about the health benefits of wheatgrass, and was forever "OMG JAMBA JUICE" and she drove me nuts. I wouldn't date her.

It's not "if you do crossfit" it's "if that's the center of your universe." Which it is, for a lot of people. It's not "if you like some rap" it's those guys who center their whole persona around being a gangsta pimp all the time. It's not "you listen to country," it's country is my lifestyle, I drive a truck with a dog and a shotgun in it, wear the boots and hat everywhere, it's totally the thing that defines my whole deal.

I go to a LOT of rock concerts. I've seen GWAR 30 times in 12 states and been friends with them for years. So it's not just my favorite band in the sense that I really like them...I fly cross country to events with hundreds of people that I only know because of that fan community. It's a big deal in my life.

So my list has these things, which people sometimes use to define a bunch of stuff about them, even as adults. If you think it's oh so high school, then come on down to the bar where I shoot pool some Saturday night and see how many grown men are dressed in a manner that clearly tells you what their music genre of choice is. If you like line dancing and I like moshpits, we might not be a great match. I reserve the right to pass on that, and it hasn't been a problem for me thus far.
Actually I don't see there being anything wrong with how specific your list is. It seems as though you know the kind of person you don't want and I don't know why there should be anything wrong with that. It sounds as though you wouldn't date just anyone and in my opinion that's a fine way to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships