Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,082 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm dating my partner for over a year and we're happy together.One night we were with friends and my bf asked one of his friends who is married and has the same job as my bf, how he has a balance in his life while working so much,(keep in mind that my bf works in a company). His friend aswered that it's challenging but the secret is to find a partner who has a similar job and can be a working partner with you while of course she's capable of raising 4 kids (they have 4 kids), while being successful in her job.In a way he suggested to find a woman exactly like his wife.So, the rest of the guys there laughed and my partner said "Where do i get one of those?" and then they laughed again.
Now I know that my partner has a dry sense of humour and I hope what he meant was that it's not easy for everybody to find such a perfect type of partner! Should I worry? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 07:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
None of us were there or know your boyfriend. The only way to possibly find out is to ask him.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:31 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinafashion View Post
Hi, I'm dating my partner for over a year and we're happy together.One night we were with friends and my bf asked one of his friends who is married and has the same job as my bf, how he has a balance in his life while working so much,(keep in mind that my bf works in a company). His friend aswered that it's challenging but the secret is to find a partner who has a similar job and can be a working partner with you while of course she's capable of raising 4 kids (they have 4 kids), while being successful in her job.In a way he suggested to find a woman exactly like his wife.So, the rest of the guys there laughed and my partner said "Where do i get one of those?" and then they laughed again.
Now I know that my partner has a dry sense of humour and I hope what he meant was that it's not easy for everybody to find such a perfect type of partner! Should I worry? What do you think?
cant believe you've posted this in truth Tina I'm certain your fine he won't dump you over that! Lol

As you said he has a dry/darker humour ( is he British hehehe ) he's just jokingly agreeing with his mate that's all my love

Honestly your fine Tina

Old 08-23-2015, 08:52 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,228 times
I think he was joking...I have a dry sense of humor as well. Perhaps he did not realize that you would be sensitive about his comment.

(Although I have that kind of humor, I too have been very sensitive to comments by men that suggest I am not what they want. I understand in other words how that made you feel.)

Old 08-23-2015, 10:36 AM

230 posts, read 228,577 times
Seemingly; we can only give you an impression of the truth; so just ask him;to find out the truth

Old 08-24-2015, 11:15 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
I wouldn't want my wife to work with me...

Old 08-24-2015, 11:22 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinafashion View Post
No. Don't worry. His friend put him in an awkward spot in front of his friends, so he had to make the best of it. Granted, he could have come up with a better answer if he'd thought about it, but he didn't. I don't know if it's worth mentioning to him that you'd appreciate it if next time, he didn't throw you under the bus just to get through an awkward moment (he could have said, "Tina has her own charms", or something of that nature). If this was a one-time occurrence, I wouldn't bother. If it becomes a pattern, then speak up.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
I am a newly wed of two months and my husband and I are both friends with a guy who has been married to his wife for 20 years. When discussing my 1993 volvo, he always jokes, "Where were you THEN?!" just to imply that it is cool that I still rock an old Volvo. Some things are just joking around and not a serious, "Let's run away together" or in your case a serious, "Let me find a new girlfriend to become my work partner"

Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,332,413 times
Can you handle the truth??

Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,214,610 times
You have been with him for a year and you can't ask him? That seems very shaky. You should be able to have open honest discussions without any fear or drama.

On the other hand it seems like a very innocuous remark that is routinely made by many people that I have heard, and that you are looking for a reason to get upset. Drama.

Work on your insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships