Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Neither of us are scared in malls and are quite willing to visit by ourselves. She expected me to be in one place and I was not. Likewise, I expected her to be somewhere she wasn't. It was a confluence of events.

The point was the importance of communication and how dependent on our phones we have become to fulfill that aspect, although that point apparently wasn't clear enough, as you devolved into a discussion about security and chose to insult my wife instead.

Another post asks about this forum and why it has become so negative. I'm getting my answer.
If it is a concern, you could track each other with Find Friends or FindMyIphone or such app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:30 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I agree to that. There was a life before cell phones and we all survived.

Hey, I could have been worse - There are some people on CD who would have told you to dump her
LOL! No doubts there! Big element of schadenfreude in the current membership.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:31 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If it is a concern, you could track each other with Find Friends or FindMyIphone or such app.
Which would be fine, but that was the ONE day she didn't have her phone on her. Like I said, just a nasty confluence of events.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And you draw the conclusion that it's the boyfriend that is the jerk based on the complaints of someone like this? She's probably the same way in the relationship that she is here. As someone said, all output, no input.
Actually, it's more based on the numerous threads the OP has started detailing bizarre behavior. That said, the OP's behavior is equally bizarre, as evidenced by many of these threads.

Context is everything.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Neither of us are scared in malls and are quite willing to visit by ourselves. She expected me to be in one place and I was not. Likewise, I expected her to be somewhere she wasn't. It was a confluence of events.

The point was the importance of communication and how dependent on our phones we have become to fulfill that aspect, although that point apparently wasn't clear enough, as you devolved into a discussion about security and chose to insult my wife instead.

Another post asks about this forum and why it has become so negative. I'm getting my answer.
To be fair, it does seem odd that the reaction of two adults (barring developmental disabilites or something like dementia being in the mix, which would make it much more understandable) to get that upset about being separated in a shopping center...like, to the point of tears and heated words/admonishing. That does read as pretty eyebrow-raising, at least, to me. I can't imagine having heated words with somebody about leaving their phone in the car, nor can I imagine crying due to being separated from my spouse at a shopping mall, under ordinary circumstances.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Which would be fine, but that was the ONE day she didn't have her phone on her. Like I said, just a nasty confluence of events.

They have like people leashes that grown ups put on kids. You could try that out and see if that works.

I'm just kidding

Old 12-14-2015, 11:35 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Personally, I can't imagine living like that--being so tied to the phone, that you have to check it every few minutes, in case your SO texted or called. Why is so much calling and gadget-based communication even necessary? For example, why would you call or text each other here and there throughout the work day? Surely those questions. comments could wait until lunch hour or after work, with rare exceptions. I can see if people get truly separated and lost, beyond all capacity to choose a sensible central location and wait 10 or 15 minutes for the other person to show up or walk by (you know, like they did in the old days). In instances like that, a pocket phone is very useful. But other than that, I don't understand this seemingly artificial "need" for one.

Getting back to one of the OP's examples: she actually ended up apologizing to her guy for being in the shower and being busy getting dressed when he called umpteen times. People take showers, they don't take their phones in the bathroom with them. In that case, it became clear the guy had some major issues, but still--this phone "convenience" can take a turn toward the almost tyrannical, it seems like.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:21 AM

583 posts, read 713,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees099 View Post
A few days ago, I had a day off from work (I had been working an awful lot recently and so I had really been looking forward to my day off)

My boyfriend was out to go to a job interview and he was also going to test a game company's video game.

I'm really enjoying myself, and relaxing at home. My boyfriend rings me to tell me that he is finished with his job interview and wants to know if I want to meet him so that we can do something together. So, I agree to meet him.

After taking a shower and having some lunch, I head out to the train station to travel to meet him. I check my phone, and notice I've missed a whole lot of calls from him. He's ringing me and so I pick up - he's like this is only the eight time I've tried to ring you, and so I apologize. He's wondering where I am and so I tell him that I'm getting on the train.

I arrive at the station where I am supposed to meet him, however he texts me to tell me that he is of to his video game testing and that I should meet him after that.

4 hours later...

I'm waiting for him inside a shop and so I text him to tell him to meet me there because I know he is close by and he told me earlier that he wanted to get some food from there.

After about fifteen minutes, he's still not turned up to meet me. So, I check my phone and notice that I've missed to calls from him. (I didn't hear because of the music playing in the shop) and he's also texted me to tell me that he's waiting outside of the shop.

About a minute later, he finds me in the shop. He is so angry, and hardly even says hello and as I lean in to hug him he frowns at me and pulls away. I'm feeling pretty shocked and just confused.

We walk out of the shop, he still hasn't said anything to me. He's walking ahead of me as we are on the sidewalk. I tell him that I'm sorry, and he keeps telling me "No" as if he doesn't want to hear it. He's like "lets just go home, might as well" and then he's like "tell me what you want to do now, what do you want to do? What are we even doing?"

We start arguing/talking and he is so mad with me. He starts telling me how I am so BAD at communicating with him, I tell him that it was all an accident and that I didn't realize my phone was on silent. He starts saying all this stuff like we just don't work as a couple, and how apparently I never answer his calls (which is utter crap).

We walk past a train station and he's like I'm just going to walk home, you can go and get the train if you want to. I tell him I want to stay with him and he's like "Uh, okay"

He starts telling me how he's never ever going to call me again and that I should just pretend his phone is dead and that he doesn't even have one. Then he's like "I'm never going out with you again, never, we're just going to stay home"

I try to show him some affection and apologize and he's like "get away from me, no, just stay away."

I tell him how I didn't mean to miss his calls and he's like " I don't trust you, you're lying, you're a lier" I then remind him that I love him and he's like mocking me and say's "that's crap,"

He's then like "you can get the train back, Im walking this way"
He pretty much dumped you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships