Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
I've seen the stories of tragic events happening to a mom/kids with a crazy stepdad. Down in the comments section there's always a bunch of "she couldn't have simply done an internet search on this guy??? For _____ sake she had her children around him! What an awful mother!"

She was just being smart. I'd rather date that than some idiot single mother who just trusts everyone around her kids.
I've seen such instances, too. And 9.9 times out of 10, they ignored or downplayed the red flags that you're not going to find in a Google search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
while i can see both sides of the argument, i have to say that these days its wise to protect yourself from predators, especially if you are a single female with young children.

its going to happen more and more so you have a choice, you can either reconcile your past and be upfront about issues in your past, or you can get upset each time it happens, run off into a corner and sulk and get out of the dating market and be alone the rest of your life.

one thing you can do to prepare though is to google yourself and find out what it really out there on you. if you find any false information, then take steps to fix the problems.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What kind of info are you being requested to give? Your real first and last name or
SS, birthdate, bank account, and PIN?

Never mind. I dont online date so all this Google/NICS background check stuff doesn't pertain to me.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
I've seen the stories of tragic events happening to a mom/kids with a crazy stepdad. Down in the comments section there's always a bunch of "she couldn't have simply done an internet search on this guy??? For _____ sake she had her children around him! What an awful mother!"

She was just being smart. I'd rather date that than some idiot single mother who just trusts everyone around her kids.
No no no no, don't you see, it's all about LOTRFan! His little feelings are so much more important than anyone else's sense of well-being and safety! Strangers should trust him with all of our most precious possessions because....we just because he is super special. Never mind that he comes from a sketchy family and has enough skeletons in his closet that he fears exposure. WE MUSTN'T HURT HIS FRAGILE EGO!

/sarc

Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Talk about a leap in logic: she googled him therefore she needs money to raise her kids.
You aren't the only one wondering about that leap of ill-logic.

The OP's reaction and attempt at justification of his behavior are huge red flags....I hope the woman spotted them.

Oh.. and OP...the woman probably didn't respond not because her silence means she thinks your right....but that she's at least smart enough to know you don't escalate an argument with someone that is unreasonable...especially when you don't know them well. You shut up and back away.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Never mind. I dont online date so all this Google/NICS background check stuff doesn't pertain to me.
You really think a women you meet IRL won't Google your name? Oh wait...are you the o n e that won't tell people your name?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You really think a women you meet IRL won't Google your name? Oh wait...are you the o n e that won't tell people your name?
Do you give out your full real name when dating online before meeting the person?

Some women seem to think its appropriate for all men to give up their full real name online prior to meeting, while retaining their own anonymity so they can run some Google search.

All that so we can meet in "a public setting" to get know each other better. Its not like I'm asking to meet in some back alley or unlit parking lot @2am, LOl.

I have absolutely no issues someone doing any background search, just not before we have met in person.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Ladies. Never meet a stranger whose name you don't know. Tell at least one friend this name and where you will be meeting.

Geez, this is common knowledge that I have been following since the '70s. Men should do this too.

ETA, yes, I would give my full name before meeting someone.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

What's the difference whether you do OLD or meet people IRL?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Ladies. Never meet a stranger whose name you don't know. Tell at least one friend this name and where you will be meeting.

Geez, this is common knowledge that I have been following since the '70s. Men should do this too.

ETA, yes, I would give my full name before meeting someone.

When you meet people at bars and parties or shows, do you ask them their last name before being willing to talk to them?

I never have. Never met a woman that has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships