Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies would you date an overweight man?
Yes 29 36.25%
No 35 43.75%
Maybe 16 20.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:33 PM

579 posts, read 555,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Perhaps shaming is the wrong approach. However, we simply must do something about the 2/3 of our population who are overweight or obese. It's a nightmare for health care costs, just for starters; not to mention all the personal suffering created by it.
I agree, there are so many health issues caused by obesity that are preventable. Early deaths as well. It's out of hand and yet people still keep eating and eating. I know it shouldn't offend me for this reason, but.. I compare it to myself and I have chronic pain problems that aren't caused by my weight. Migraines and a problem with a messed up spine which causes pain and fatigue. When I see obese people with health problems solely caused by their obesity..I can't help but think "you could be in perfect health if you wanted to be!!" it's one of those things that just gets to me, it's like they take their health for granted!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
I agree, there are so many health issues caused by obesity that are preventable. Early deaths as well. It's out of hand and yet people still keep eating and eating. I know it shouldn't offend me for this reason, but.. I compare it to myself and I have chronic pain problems that aren't caused by my weight. Migraines and a problem with a messed up spine which causes pain and fatigue. When I see obese people with health problems solely caused by their obesity..I can't help but think "you could be in perfect health if you wanted to be!!" it's one of those things that just gets to me, it's like they take their health for granted!!
People cause themselves more problems by being worried about what other people do. It's out of your control.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
People cause themselves more problems by being worried about what other people do. It's out of your control.
I know very well that it's out of my control. I was just spilling my thoughts like most people do on this board! Sheesh

Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Well since most people are overweight and dating has not slowed or stopped I would guess that women aren't judging that book solely by its cover.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Well since most people are overweight and dating has not slowed or stopped I would guess that women aren't judging that book solely by its cover.
You could say the same thing about men. That's why I *facepalm* when people say men are all about looks. Wouldn't that mean that the only women getting in relationships look like models?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You could say the same thing about men. That's why I *facepalm* when people say men are all about looks. Wouldn't that mean that the only women getting in relationships look like models?
But the thing is.. A LOT of men are MOSTLY about looks. I've seen it before.. overweight men always trying to get with girls that are out of their league. Then they finally realize they can't sacrifice their Big Macs to get with a hot chick, so they just give up and start dating their female equivalent because it's all they can get.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Actually.. I have no clue as to what you mean.
ie. avoid being on the bottom

Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
But the thing is.. A LOT of men are MOSTLY about looks. I've seen it before.. overweight men always trying to get with girls that are out of their league. Then they finally realize they can't sacrifice their Big Macs to get with a hot chick, so they just give up and start dating their female equivalent because it's all they can get.
You seem cynical? So the only reason women who are considered plain or below average are getting dates is because men are settling for them?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:33 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
LOL, that's what I was thinking too.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Perhaps shaming is the wrong approach. However, we simply must do something about the 2/3 of our population who are overweight or obese. It's a nightmare for health care costs, just for starters; not to mention all the personal suffering created by it.
I'm all for awareness programs, but that's as far as I think we should take the anti-obesity effort. In nearly all cases, being overweight is a choice. I just so happen to believe that adults should be able to live their life how they want and make their own choices.

There are other epidemics out there like childhood obesity that I think we should address, but again, I believe people need to take responsibility for themselves and their children.

Quote:
Sorry but this post is completely false. In fact, allow me to turn your post on it's head:

"But the thing is.. A LOT of women are MOSTLY about looks. I've seen it before.. overweight women always trying to get with men that are out of their league. Then they finally realize they can't sacrifice their ice cream to get with a hot guy, so they just give up and start dating their male equivalent because it's all they can get."

There are plenty of couples out there where the woman is heavier than the man. This is not a men vs. women thing, this is a human nature thing. Looks are IMPORTANT! Health is IMPORTANT! Passing the preference for a healthy, attractive partner as being "shallow" and "superficial" is the very definition of being closed-minded. Love is lawless, and everyone has a right to want what they want. They may get it, they may not, but that doesn't mean they are wrong for pursuing what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships