Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:43 PM

474 posts, read 384,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Bad P.R. and transparency could have been pursued without compromising individual citizens private information.
Sure, could have. It didn't though. Who knows when the government will regulate that industry. 2065 if we're lucky? I'll take it how it came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 03:46 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
Sure, could have. It didn't though. Who knows when the government will regulate that industry. 2065 if we're lucky? I'll take it how it came.
Slow changes in government and laws is no excuse. Police do not have this discretion much less individuals.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:47 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
Quote:
Can you clarify?

If it only applies to police obtaining evidence illegally wouldn't it actually promote people to illegally hack others they suspect of financial fraud? (the opposite of what you infer)

I do believe this would be a criminal case on US soil...
Yes, it would promote people to illegally hack companies that they suspected of financial fraud, and extort money from them (I suspect the hackers demanded extortion money from AM, but AM refused to pay, and probably not the first time AM had been extorted, speculation). If you are going to engage in mass fraud like AM, you best have top notch security and expect to pay people off from time to time

Old 08-31-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
As already said, not everyone on that site was cheating.. and proving intent to cheat is impossible. They are the real victims of the hackers here. So while you like what has happened to Ashley Madison, I have concern when people have so little regard for those whose privacy was violated.
No one was cheating, the site was all bots. And since when is proving intent necessary to ask for a divorce?

Quote:
Again.. the ends does not justify the means.
To you it doesn't. To me it does. Sorry that doesn't work for you.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Slow changes in government and laws is no excuse. Police do not have this discretion much less individuals.
Again, I didn't say it was excusable... simply that I think the positive things that came out of it were great.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Yes, it would promote people to illegally hack companies that they suspected of financial fraud, and extort money from them
Ok yes.. makes sense.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Since when is proving intent necessary to ask for a divorce?
Since when does this have anything to do with privacy? Again... bringing up divorce is an attempt at deflection.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Since when does this have anything to do with privacy? Again... bringing up divorce is an attempt at deflection.
Deflect what? Nowhere was it deemed that this thread was specifically about privacy. In fact, the original article was leaning on the deceptive and fraudulent nature of Ashley Madison's business model.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Deflect what?
My statement was in regards to individual privacy and divorce is not relevant. You quoted it so I was lead to believe you were refering to my post not the article.

Whether or not people's marriages result in divorce doesn't change the fact that private data of individuals were exposed.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The thing that gets me is how many of those dumb asses that used their work email addresses.... I mean if you've got a .gov in your email wtf are you thinking....

I mean it takes 30 seconds to open an account at Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, or whatever service there is out there, I mean how ****ing stupid do you have to be to sign up for a website that caters to infidelity and use your work email.... I mean I just can't get over the idiocy that some people subscribe to......

If you're gonna cheat, put a little effort into not getting caught at least... good lord people....
Ok lets just take a second here to appreciate men using their work emails -

it means, at the very least,

1. stupid beyond belief

2. NOT ACTUALLY WORKING, AT WORK

And as we are coming to know, many of these guys are in the position of telling others how to live their lives, conduct their Work Days.

I hope this gives all the Paranoid Big Brother types pause for thought.

Those in the upper echelons of business and government are spending their days ON ASHLEY MADISON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships