Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:42 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

Made me think: I married for love and got the lifestyle I want, or was it I love my lifestyle because I married the love I wanted?

Either way I'm happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettysouth View Post
I have been reading Penelope Trunk for years. I have read every single one of her blogs. It's funny that she doesn't practice what she preaches. She's the breadwinner in her family. However, her career allows her to work from home. I do agree that a family with a breadwinner husband/housewife is more successful than any other type of family. People try to put down SAHM and say they will get traded in and all this and that... scare tactics! The couples I see getting divorced are the ones with a lazy a$$ husband that is not a good provider....wife finds someone better or decides she can do bad all by herself OR TWO WORKING PEOPLE...husband and wife both have their own careers. I can't name one personal SAHM I know that ended up divorced. I "of" some but their divorce settlements worked out in their favor.
That depends largely on the vales of the individual couple. I don't consider my working to be a failure, because it takes a financial burden off the Mr. and allows him to be a more active presence in our children's lives. We have no desire to relegate ourselves to separate "spheres".

Old 09-03-2015, 06:36 PM

69 posts, read 48,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Made me think: I married for love and got the lifestyle I want, or was it I love my lifestyle because I married the love I wanted?

Either way I'm happy.
Everyone has different desires. I just think its naive to want to be a wealthy SAHM and then go date a school teacher. I believe in being realistic. I know some women who are very upset in their marriages because they wanted certain things and a certain lifestyle but didn't really take that under consideration when dating. You can't just wish that a man will make $1 Million/year. Every guy is not that ambitious. And if you want that type of man, don't date a man who is comfortable living a lower middle class lifestyle.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That depends largely on the vales of the individual couple. I don't consider my working to be a failure, because it takes a financial burden off the Mr. and allows him to be a more active presence in our children's lives. We have no desire to relegate ourselves to separate "spheres".
Good for you! I personally don't believe in daycare. I would definitely have a nanny that worked under my close supervision. But I just don't see the point in having a baby and then dropping it off at a daycare Monday- Friday for 8 hours so I can go to work and take the pressure off my husband.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Everyone has different desires. I just think its naive to want to be a wealthy SAHM and then go date a school teacher. I believe in being realistic. I know some women who are very upset in their marriages because they wanted certain things and a certain lifestyle but didn't really take that under consideration when dating. You can't just wish that a man will make $1 Million/year. Every guy is not that ambitious. And if you want that type of man, don't date a man who is comfortable living a lower middle class lifestyle.

Your too naive to know that after 10 years of that you'll be complaining about a loveless marriage. There is always the pool boy though.

But I don't really know you. Being a trophy wife may be just the thing for you.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Your too naive to know that after 10 years of that you'll be complaining about a loveless marriage. There is always the pool boy though.

Cue up "Lying Eyes."

Old 09-03-2015, 06:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Good for you! I personally don't believe in daycare. I would definitely have a nanny that worked under my close supervision. But I just don't see the point in having a baby and then dropping it off at a daycare Monday- Friday for 8 hours so I can go to work and take the pressure off my husband.
My kids were never in full-time daycare. Maybe 15 hours/week, max.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:

There is nothing naive about me. I think it's funny when people (like you) attempt to down play women who want to marry well or people that value money by saying that they'll end up unhappy. Let's consider all the married people that don't have enough income. They can't make rent, can't afford to put braces on their kids jacked up teeth, can't afford for their kids to participate in extracurricular activities, sharing one car, can't pay their kids tuition so their kids end up with $100K student loan debt, can't buy their kids a car, can't go on family vacations? What about those people. Oh yeah, they are the happy ones because their kids will grow up and say we didn't have money to eat out but we sure did have good memories with parents stressing and fighting about money. Those are the naive people. The naive people that didn't really stop to think how expensive it was to run a household and provide for children long term. Sorry, you can call me naive all day long. I know some naive people. There are some naive couples at my church I attend. I don't pity them one bit because they made the calculated or uncalculated decision to dive head first into a situation that they could not handle financially. And their kids are paying for it...

Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 PM

Naive is thinking that either money, or love, alone will bring happiness. They are two ends of the same spectrum.

Don't get your knickers all in a knot though, like I already said: I don't know you, being a trophy wife may be the thing for you.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhound View Post
cue up "lying eyes."
eagles!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships