Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM

17 posts, read 11,497 times

Advertisements

Wife and I married a month ago. She has 3 kids from a previous marriage. Last week she went into a rage at the kids for leaving the remote control on the floor. She was screaming at the top of her lungs and swearing. The next day she did the same thing over the kids leaving bikes in the yard. The kids were terrified during both episodes and came running to me for safety. 3 days ago she and I were in the kitchen talking about money and she gets up throws a plate across the room smashing it and storms out. Again the kids got scared.

This was too much for me so I packed a bag and left. Did I do the right thing? She wants me to come back and says she's very sorry and wants to talk. Please help me with what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Leaving is a bit extreme, IMO. I only suggest, you help her seek some anger management therapy.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Where was all this out-of-control anger when you two were dating? How long was your engagement? Did you live together during the engagement?

Those kids need you. But you don't need all that anger. One option is to tell her you'll consider coming back AFTER she starts attending anger management classes, and possibly therapy sessions, as well.

Or....not. Do you love her? How do you feel right now about her and the marriage?

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times

You left the kids alone with her?

Doesn't sound like you're all that invested in your New Family OP.

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Crazytown.
For the sake of the children, suggest she see a doctor ASAP.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
1. It's a shame that there was no indication of violent and/or erratic behavior during the relationship/engagement period prior to the marriage. At least, I have to assume there wasn't.

2. The appropriate action would have been to ensure the children's safety, versus simply leaving, as a stepparent, so I hope that was done. Leaving children in a potential DV situation was not the best move.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM

599 posts, read 693,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

You left the kids alone with her?

Doesn't sound like you're all that invested in your New Family OP.
I agree. Now that he left, she will probably go crazy on the kids even more

Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where was all this out-of-control anger when you two were dating? How long was your engagement? Did you live together during the engagement?

Those kids need you. But you don't need all that anger. One option is to tell her you'll consider coming back AFTER she starts attending anger management classes, and possibly therapy sessions, as well.

Or....not. Do you love her? How do you feel right now about her and the marriage?
Thank you so much for your reply. To answer your questions, I've known her for a long time but didn't reconnect with her until 6 months ago when we started dating. We never lived together but I was around the kids a bit. Everything seemed fine. Other than some nasty exchanges between she and her 10 year old daughter I didn't see any real hostility.

I love her dearly. I hate being away from her intensely. Packing a bag and leaving was so hard for me. I never want her to feel that our marriage is disposable. But I've seen hostility like this tear families apart. My dad was a very hostile and violent man and I never want to live in a home like that again.

Should I go back to her tonight? I really miss her so much and don't want her to think that I give up easily and that I don't care about her.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:33 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
It all depends on how attached you are to the children.

She sounds like a train wreck. And that you -- personally, individually -- would be better off without her (understatement)

If you have, however, been with the family for long enough to have come to be "the" father figure, it gets more complicated.

You could simply file for divorce, never look back, and anonymously call child welfare to look in on the children (throwing plates IS violence).

If you feel, in your heart of hearts like an actual father to the children, you would do well to get into family counselling.

Right now a divorce attorney, and you getting into some one on one goal based counselling with a licensed family counsellor are who you need to be talking with.

We don't know what you want. Maybe you don't either right now. Enlist professional guides to lay out your options: Lawyer. Counsellor. In that order.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
I agree. Now that he left, she will probably go crazy on the kids even more
No, I don't believe this. She's under a lot of stress right now. So much on her plate. We've moved into a new house, she's swamped at work and the house is in a lot of disarray due to moving. I just don't think she knows how to handle it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships