Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
In my experience, those who fall back on the "natural order of things" argument generally haven't the foggiest clue how to lead a relationship, and generally do not have respect for women as individuals.

If that phrase-- the natural order of things-- ever came out of my partner's mouth, I'd laugh myself silly. The fact is, our relationship, where he has been given authority, is just ours. I have chosen to give him authority (to submit) to him because of who he is as an individual- not merely because of what is between his legs. My submission to him came from a place of strength, of knowing what he had to offer in the relationship.
It's a man that's pointing out that the whole natural order of things theory is B.S. Read the thread please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Yup, I have read the thread-- thanks.

As someone who is in the type of relationship that the OP seems to want, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

ETA-- my comments were directed at the OP's assertion of the "natural order of things"

Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 AM

50,810 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please provide data to back up this claim.

I think most women want the best leader (regardless of the sex) in positions which require leadership. Personal relationships (such as a marriage) do not require leadership. They require, trust, respect, and honesty.
I don't have data, I have a lifetime of discussing men and what we want out of relationships with a multitude of different girls and women.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:48 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't have data, I have a lifetime of discussing men and what we want out of relationships with a multitude of different girls and women.

very telling that you used "girls" before you used "women". I don't know a single woman who would want their husband to "lead" them; not a single one. I have a cadre of women I know throughout my lifetime, and they all want a trusting partnership involving mutual respect and trust.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
very telling that you used "girls" before you used "women". I don't know a single woman who would want their husband to "lead" them; not a single one. I have a cadre of women I know throughout my lifetime, and they all want a trusting partnership involving mutual respect and trust.
I used "girls/women" because those discussions began in girlhood/childhood and progressed to discussions as women as we grew.

You are not understanding leadership and confusing it with telling someone what to do or one person being the "boss" or submission/domination. That is not leadership, see my earlier post on (I think) page one.

I myself am strong, self-supporting and more than competent, but I still want a man who wants to lead. Of course I want mutual respect and trust as well. One has nothing to do with the other, in fact a leader who doesn't treat people with respect and doesn't build trust is not going to have any followers. This is the crux of the title question (although now I see OP was never interested in an answer), and what I explained in my earlier post.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
I think your "most women" thing doesn't line up with my experience either. Maybe in my early twenties I wanted a "big strong man" archetype, but none of my friends would want that now. We'd want someone who has their act together, or who takes care of business generally, and who doesn't need someone to mother him, but I don't think that's what the OP means.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I think your "most women" thing doesn't line up with my experience either. Maybe in my early twenties I wanted a "big strong man" archetype, but none of my friends would want that now. We'd want someone who has their act together, or who takes care of business generally, and who doesn't need someone to mother him, but I don't think that's what the OP means.
Yeah, that's the thing: I don't understand why any adult needs their partner to lead them, unless they were exceptionally passive.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yeah, that's the thing: I don't understand why any adult needs their partner to lead them, unless they were exceptionally passive.
There's the difference as I see it personally.

I don't need a leader in my life, I want one. Fact is, I'm fully capable of taking care of myself. I simply am most fulfilled when I am in a relationship where I can give final authority in decision-making over to someone else.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
There's the difference as I see it personally.

I don't need a leader in my life, I want one. Fact is, I'm fully capable of taking care of myself. I simply am most fulfilled when I am in a relationship where I can give final authority in decision-making over to someone else.
And that's fine, so long as it's what your partner truly wants as well. Me, I cannot imaging my husband having that level of authority over me, nor would he want to have it. Consequently, I also accept responsibility for owning the outcome.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I never said anything about a big, strong man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships