Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:02 PM

583 posts, read 705,655 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot of people say over the years that if someone falls out of love with their partner then they never were in love with them in the first place. A few questions I have to ask in regards to this claim:

1. Is there any truth to that?

2. Can you truly fall out of love with someone, but have been in love with them at one point?

3. Why would a person doubt the sincerity of a person being in love with their partner once they have fallen out of love with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:18 PM

282 posts, read 218,215 times
The only constant in life is change. Feelings change. I would totally understand if my husband comes to me one day and tell me he does not love me anymore. It would hurt yes, but what am I gonna do about it? Nothing. Because the ONLY reason I would stay married is if the feeling is mutual.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:28 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,226,696 times
Hearts change with time; it could become stronger or wane.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times
What you once thought was love is, in fact, not love.

What you think is love, is missing other aspects that embody love.

And people may change. They are fundamentally the same. Time and circumstances bring out aspects that were not known before.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:03 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,599,190 times
I thought I loved my ex, who was my partner for more than seven years. When I found out he cheated on me and betrayed me, I realized I did not love him. I loved who I thought he was, but I could never love a scumbag liar like he revealed himself to me.

I think when there are better circumstances, though, and people part ways under different conditions, they always love that person. They may not be "in love" with them anymore, but they still feel love, it just changes. That's how I was before I learned about my ex's betrayals. I wasn't "in love" with him anymore because I had changed, but I still loved him.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,870,786 times
I thought I love spicy foods but later I regretted it.

Actually, the environment can test everything.

Imagine the partner you were in love with stabs you in the back? Yeah, you could fall out of love real fast if this happens.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:39 PM

543 posts, read 996,426 times
I don't love my ex anymore, but I still think he's hot.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,857,334 times
Love is a fantasy .
Love is a choice .
The depth of love, is measured in selflessness .
The childishness of love, is selfishness.
Some folk invest in love like they do in a home or stocks and bonds it is an investment hoping for a imagined return .
I suspect though that the contrast would be those that invest in love like watering a flower, expecting nothing more than it to flower and enjoy life .
Both can be selfish and selfless .
Am I devoted to another for my success or their success ?
Men tend to think that their success is more significant, in that most debt is on their shoulder .
This likely came from the time men were the bread winner of the family for many generations .
Culture has changed but the human nature is slow on the up take.
Men have lost the position of home leadership ,and for that matter the home it's self is dissolving.
As a culture we have become selfish and self centered and so our love tends to be childish .
Being childish ,emotions rule and so love is tested, and fades because selfish needs fantasies aren't being met.
This I have learned from my own mistakes, as well as the many mistakes of others.
I had tried to support my late wife's profession ,but she would not reciprocate with mine ,and after years of this, my devotion became a drudgery and she saw it as competition and moved on.
This tore me up , but life's responsibilities do not stop because life takes a turn.
Some people learn from their mistakes some don't. so I've learned that the pursuit of love is selfish but being selfish it is childish.
I Love ,but not in pursuit of affection, but simply to help others and not get caught up in their drama.
The pursuit of affection is not love, it is lust. another hard lesson.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 4,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
I don't love my ex anymore, but I still think he's hot.
It sounds like you never really loved your ex; you lusted. Lust is mostly physical-mental-sensual-visual-aural-olfactory-primal and salivatory. It is a shallow feeling that could be altered by a sniff or the wrong sight and touch. True love goes deeper into the sinews and into the marrow. Like ugliness goes into the bone so does true love permeate the entire being. IMHO.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:49 PM

585 posts, read 273,977 times
It's totally possible to fall out of love. How do we stay in love with somebody who cheats, is abusive, and or drastically changes physically? They become something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships