Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 AM

469 posts, read 566,749 times

Advertisements

Tonight I bumped into an ex girlfriend of mine of over 7 years ago. We caught up a bit about what's going on in each others lives, we go to the same 4 year university and are in our last year as well. Following seeing her at her job (she's a waitress, joining the national guard), I shot her a message on facebook (since we are friends on facebook) I shot her a message saying, "Sorry for popping in out of the blue, I just recently heard you worked there and was stopping by to get food and figured I'd ask if you worked there still. I thought it would be nice to see each other for a minute and say hi. I also didn't know if you'd be happy to see me or dread seeing me." She responded with, "Nah no big deal. It was nice seeing you again." I felt pretty good about that, but to the rest of the people of city-data, has anyone ever ran into an ex and have them tell you it was nice to see you again? Furthermore, does that mean anything at all in terms of feelings still being there or were they just trying to be polite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 06:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
She was being polite. Time to move on.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I think you should take her words at face value. She didn't dread seeing you, she's not mad, etc. You would get a lot better idea of her feelings from how she acted, not what she wrote. Smiling, talking to you warmly, asking you questions, touching you, hugging you goodbye--these are indicative of more than politeness.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,025 times
It's happened to me a couple times, I've always just smiled and said hello and made a little small talk for a minute or two then moved on. Since I've moves around a lot though, hasn't really happened much at all. As far as your case, I wouldn't read much at all into what she said. She was just being polite, nothing more nothing less. I wouldn't give it another thought if I were you.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I'd go with, "She's nice and polite."

Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'd go with, "She's nice and polite."
Yep. Now you have closure.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,454,216 times
Probably just being polite but if you are single and trying to get some sex, see where's she's at.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Probably just being polite but if you are single and trying to get some sex, see where's she's at.
Well, it looked like he was TRYING to initiate something with her in the FB comment, but she kept it pretty locked down.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,454,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, it looked like he was TRYING to initiate something with her in the FB comment, but she kept it pretty locked down.
That sounds about right. Well, plenty of other women.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,020,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryazer24 View Post
Tonight I bumped into an ex girlfriend of mine of over 7 years ago. We caught up a bit about what's going on in each others lives, we go to the same 4 year university and are in our last year as well. Following seeing her at her job (she's a waitress, joining the national guard), I shot her a message on facebook (since we are friends on facebook) I shot her a message saying, "Sorry for popping in out of the blue, I just recently heard you worked there and was stopping by to get food and figured I'd ask if you worked there still. I thought it would be nice to see each other for a minute and say hi. I also didn't know if you'd be happy to see me or dread seeing me." She responded with, "Nah no big deal. It was nice seeing you again." I felt pretty good about that, but to the rest of the people of city-data, has anyone ever ran into an ex and have them tell you it was nice to see you again? Furthermore, does that mean anything at all in terms of feelings still being there or were they just trying to be polite?
It means nothing. Nothing. Please repeat this to yourself several times.

I would imagine a large percentage of people who have an ex have at some point run into them randomly and one of them said, "Nice seeing you again." That's about the least one can say and be polite while still hinting that nothing more will ever happen.

But you didn't run into her randomly, you didn't "bump into" her, you went to where you had a good idea she would be in order to see her. That's not the same thing at all.

She was 100% just trying to be polite and hopefully disengage from further interactions, and if that long, overly explanatory message was really what you sent, she was probably also a bit concerned that after going to the slightly stalkerish trouble of hunting her down at her work, you might be trying to get back with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships