Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
And for some additional information, I'm in a long distance relationship that became 'open' a couple of months ago, and my girfriend did have sex with someone else, and no, I'm not affected by knowing that. After she did that I also had sex with someone else, but that did bother her.
So, you're able to have an open relationship, and she's not. This isn't uncommon.

Quote:
I suppose what I'm really asking is, why is that exclusivity so important to people?
I would say that it's very important to some people. I am wired monogamous, and would only be with someone who was wired the same way. The thought of him being with someone else, whether with my knowledge or not, makes me physically ill. Hence, I would never entertain the thought of an open or poly relationship.

I couldn't tell you why I feel this way. It's something that just IS. It's not good or bad- it just requires finding someone with the same views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,547 times
Every person has a right to the type of relationship of his/her choice. If you are good with both you and your SO having multiple sex partners, that is your choice and there is nothing wrong with your relationship. It doesn't really matter what matters to the average person; all that really matters is what matters to the people in the relationship.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM

248 posts, read 342,954 times
Sounds like you are comfortable with an "open" relationship, but your girlfriend is not. Neither one of you is right, just different priorities in a relationship and you may need to find someone else if having sex with others is important to you.

IMO, "cheating" doesn't really have anything to do with sex itself, it's dishonesty that defines it. People can "cheat" without ever having sex by becoming emotionally/romantically involved with another behind their partner's back.

If you are in an open relationship that both parties are in agreement on, it's not "cheating". If someone is sleeping (or becoming emtionally involved) with another without their partner's knowledge, that's "cheating". No one likes to be deceived, so no one likes being cheated on.

Whether you agree with it or not, the default assumption for most people regarding marriage, or long term relationships, is that they are exlusive and monogamous, so their partner being with someone else is dishonest or a breach of an implicit promise. If you want to negotiate something different, be very clear about it up front, to avoid being accused of cheating.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
I've always thought this, even after a childhood where my father cheated on my mother repeatedly before finally leaving her for good.
Most people are born with the natural instinct to trust. Kids implicitly trust everyone unless given a reason not to. You sound like you grew up in a household with no trust, as far as the relationship between your mother and father. Obviously if this is what you were subject to from an early age, you'll have a hard time understanding why cheating is bad.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:

I mean, I'd prefer my partner not to 'cheat' but the only thing I'd be mad about is the possibility of being unknowlingly exposed to some sexual disease.
So, it does bother you (because the possibility of being exposed to STD"s) will always be there when another partner is unfaithful, so I don't know why you're posting all the "it doesn't bother me" nonsense, Lol

Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 AM

273 posts, read 240,916 times
It's simple. You make a commitment but you lie and deceive to maintain the committed relationship.

You are mixing up the idea of an open relationship with a committed relationship where the two parties have some sort of understanding they will not have sex with another person.

It's not really "does the act of your SO having sex bother you", it's about lying when you made an agreement.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:45 AM

253 posts, read 655,094 times
If you've never been cheated on, you won't truly understand how devastating it is. When you are in a monogamous relationship (open relationships are a whole different ball game), you agreed to be with just one person. When your partner cheats, they've checked out of the relationship without giving you the respect of telling you they no longer want to be with you. No one likes to share, especially without consent.

It is not always about the physical.. it's actually worse when your partner confides and shares an emotional connection with another person. You're basically made useless, without the chance to fix the situation.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:46 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Every person that I know that has been cheated on describes it as a betrayal and is very painful.

Basically it's your partner saying you're not good enough for them or they aren't in love with you anymore. That hurts.

It completely defeats the purpose of a committed/exclusive relationship. If you don't understand it or if it doesn't bug you....you may want to consider getting into an open relationship.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:33 PM

543 posts, read 999,780 times
Cheating on a marriage is a breach of the matrimonial contract. Even on a no fault state a person can sue for breach of contract.

When my first husband was engaged to me, he cheated on me with a girl that was more his physical type (really short an not muscular, the opposite of me). Since I was not married, all I could do was being upset at him. If I had been married, I'd divorced him on the grounds of adultery

Old 09-13-2015, 12:40 PM

52,266 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think that the OP simply needs to be in an open relationship, that's what I took away from the OP.

In a sense though even in an open relationship as I understand it, there are still "rules" between couples.

I think that is the problem is when someone violates the understanding, what ever that happens to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships