Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 01:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Are you serious? Being alone is MUCH better than being in a bad or even so-so relationship. I personally find the OP's original post to be highly desperate. That's not attractive no matter how you slice it.
It's not an issue of desperation, it's an issue of ethics and decency. You don't judge by material possessions! As one poster said, you could lose it all in a fire. Incidentally, there was a major fire at an apartment complex just down the street from my ex-gf's last winter; those people lost everything. After having explained materialism to her, and that fire hitting so close to home, you'd figure she'd comprehend reality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
It's not an issue of desperation, it's an issue of ethics and decency. You don't judge by material possessions! As one poster said, you could lose it all in a fire. Incidentally, there was a major fire at an apartment complex just down the street from my ex-gf's last winter; those people lost everything. After having explained materialism to her, and that fire hitting so close to home, you'd figure she'd comprehend reality!
And that makes me question all the more why you would even give the slightest thought to getting back together with her. Hence me saying desperation.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
And that makes me question all the more why you would even give the slightest thought to getting back together with her. Hence me saying desperation.
Your right. I didn't think of it that way.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Your right. I didn't think of it that way.
Give yourself a "reboot" of sorts maybe. Focus on you a bit too. Go places you have not been if possible, try things you never got around to trying (We all have things like this) Change some habits like get rid off any bad ones and start some good ones. Little changes can add up fast. Many people have one day realized five years after a revelation that if they started then they might be where they wanted to be today. Even more have gotten involved in a relationship they know is not the right one but went forward anyway. Cut to being drunk in dive bar at 12 Noon one day wondering what happened. Don't be that guy. Circulate a bit and meet others if you are unsure about this one. She already with someone anyway as you mentioned. You count too Sir!

Old 09-13-2015, 02:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Being alone is MUCH better than being in a bad or even so-so relationship. I personally find the OP's original post to be highly desperate. That's not attractive no matter how you slice it.
Yes, I was. OP is in his 50s and hasn't found a taker since the divorce. If she's willing, why not have some fun?

Old 09-13-2015, 02:31 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Yes, I was. OP is in his 50s and hasn't found a taker since the divorce. If she's willing, why not have some fun?
Because that reeks of desperation. I mean, if he's just interested in some NSA sex then I guess I can kind of see it (though I personally would never consider that). However, I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:36 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
OP is scared of living alone with himself.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,239 times
Don't listen to any of these people. If this woman is leaving her bf and wants to have some sexual fun with you, you should go for it even if you feel it won't lead to a marriage. You just divorced, don't rush into another marriage. You should have some fun, especially since you've been married for a long time and haven't had it in a long time. I don't see any downside to getting a bit of stank on your hang low and just enjoying life for a bit.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Exes are usually "ex" for a reason.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:23 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
It's not an issue of desperation, it's an issue of ethics and decency. ...
The prevailing viewpoint on this sub-forum is that any romantic relationship is a dicey proposition, fraught with risk. One ought not to enter into it, unless substantial research has been done. One ought not to even begin looking for a new relationship, until having completed a rigorous set of mental exercises to purge oneself of various inhibitions, latent insecurities or connections to prior relationships. Better yet, one ought to not "look" for a relationship at all, but to go about regular life in unassuming manner, such that if and when a romantic prospect crosses one's path, it would be purely incidental to what one is already doing.

"Desperation" is viewed as reprobate, if not outright pathological. It also disqualifies one from being emotionally ready for any relationship of substance. Furthermore, the wise woman or man is thoroughly self-contained, thriving as solitary individual. A relationship is a kind of addendum, a desert to an already nourishing dinner.

Thus the prevailing viewpoint is that whenever one has doubts, whenever one feels urge to ask for advice or confirmation of one's hunches, then the "correct" response is in the negative, meaning that the prospective relationship best not be pursued. And if the original poster retorts with arguments for as to why the relationship is nevertheless promising, the reply is "Fine, suit yourself, go ahead and ruin your life, for all that we care".

Needless to say, I dissent from the prevailing viewpoint. Yesterday there was an interesting case, perhaps too interesting to be real: a ravishingly beautiful European young lady, styling herself as an aristocrat, "fell in love" with a scraggly old codger who swept her off of her feet by being masculine and genuine. Now, against the wishes of her parents, she wants to marry him. This of course is a case where the utmost caution is incumbent, and the prevailing viewpoint is entirely sensible. But in the case of a middle-aged divorced man considering reconnecting with an old girlfriend, again as a girlfriend (rather than as wife)? Why not? What's the down side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships