Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:57 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times

Advertisements

After you first meet a guy (gym, grocery store, bar/club, etc.), how do you like him to contact you? Via text or an old fashioned phone call?

I suppose it might depend on how much you actually interacted during the first meeting....text might be best after a brief chat at a bar or club while a phone call might be best after an in depth conversation at a party? I was at a nightclub last night and four different women gave me their number. It feels like getting numbers is meaningless these days.

For those that reply if you don't mind stating if you are in your 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. I am wondering if age makes a difference. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Don't over think it...really.....in the long run it doesn't matter much. Just make contact....

Old 09-13-2015, 12:36 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I think the 20's and 30's crowd texting appears to be much more acceptable, you hear stories of people dumping someone via text, so if that tells you anything.

I'm not a huge fan of texting, but I use it for quick sort of one way messages, such as running late or call you later type things, I think texting a full blown convo is sort of asinine to me.

I'm not a woman so I can't answer the OP directly, but I would think that phone call would be more personal than a text.

I'm mid 40's.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:36 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
It's going to depend on the specific woman you meet, and what her individual preferences are. If many 20-something's tell you they prefer text, what happens when the 20-something you meet prefers phone calls?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:43 PM

277 posts, read 271,297 times
Definitely call. Texting is too casual, doesnt show that The guy is actually interested.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:07 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
If I already met you just do whatever, but if not email or text.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM

497 posts, read 695,978 times
I prefer a man to call. l'm in my early 40s.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
After you first meet a guy (gym, grocery store, bar/club, etc.), how do you like him to contact you? Via text or an old fashioned phone call?
Text is fine, but I really appreciated phone calls.

Quote:
I suppose it might depend on how much you actually interacted during the first meeting....text might be best after a brief chat at a bar or club while a phone call might be best after an in depth conversation at a party? I was at a nightclub last night and four different women gave me their number. It feels like getting numbers is meaningless these days.
I exclusively dated via OLD, and typically communicated extensively (chat, messages and phone) prior to the first date in person.

Quote:
For those that reply if you don't mind stating if you are in your 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. I am wondering if age makes a difference. Thanks.
30s. I was in my late 20s when I was in the dating scene, and the majority of the men were late 30s to early 40s.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think the 20's and 30's crowd texting appears to be much more acceptable, you hear stories of people dumping someone via text, so if that tells you anything.

I'm not a huge fan of texting, but I use it for quick sort of one way messages, such as running late or call you later type things, I think texting a full blown convo is sort of asinine to me.

I'm not a woman so I can't answer the OP directly, but I would think that phone call would be more personal than a text.

I'm mid 40's.
Some days I am an old soul. I like calls. But almost everyone i know my age(and younger) likes texts. I only use texting for logistics.

I feel like a call shows more intent. And i like hearing your voice if i like you.

I have one friend who i have text convos with. And ocassionally my sister. She prefers texts but we generally just talk more over meals.

My sister (mid 30s hates calls and really really hates voicemails.

To generalize:
People under 40 like texts
Extroverted people probably like calls
Introverts of all ages like texts

I am late 30s.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:09 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

If they are interested in dating me, then they can pick up a phone and talk to me. An email and/or text feels very impersonal. If I provide a number, it's an invitation to call...and it happens very rarely. If people are throwing their number at you...let me say it like this: If some guy throws his number at me without knowing a fricken thing about me, I'm not going to waste my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships