Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 06:23 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I wasn't either. Do meetups, go to Piedmont Park, concerts, online dating (though I hate it now, its much better in Atlanta), church, (Buckhead Church), etc
Interesting that you mention meetup and online dating. I did both in my early -mid 20s. It didn't work out. I didn't worry much about meetup because I was in college at the time.

Most of my social decline came after graduating from college and ending up unemployed for a long time. No money to go out, too embarrassing to reveal being unemployed, and I was busy looking for work.

Now I have work. Now I am employed and I have some money to do certain things. Now I am finding myself catching up, trying to make up for lost time. Now it's a matter of getting re-established. I have more time on my hands that the average late 20s/early 30s person. However, it is mostly weekends.

I could be persuaded to try meetup again. I need to find something I am in to.

As for online dating, did it several times and it never worked for me. For now I am not worried about the dating scene.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,779,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting that you mention meetup and online dating. I did both in my early -mid 20s. It didn't work out. I didn't worry much about meetup because I was in college at the time.

Most of my social decline came after graduating from college and ending up unemployed for a long time. No money to go out, too embarrassing to reveal being unemployed, and I was busy looking for work.

Now I have work. Now I am employed and I have some money to do certain things. Now I am finding myself catching up, trying to make up for lost time. Now it's a matter of getting re-established. I have more time on my hands that the average late 20s/early 30s person. However, it is mostly weekends.

I could be persuaded to try meetup again. I need to find something I am in to.

As for online dating, did it several times and it never worked for me. For now I am not worried about the dating scene.
I mention meetup as an option. Probably not a great one, although better in Atlanta than Oklahoma City. Bunch of misfits here. In Atlanta, at least you have larger # of people. Something else I did in Atlanta, which was a little scary, but good practice, was speed dating. I did get a date out of that, but I was also unemployed and felt bad about myself when I saw her driving a Lexus. I understand about catching up financially, trust me. Take your time then. At least you have time, unlike me.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I mention meetup as an option. Probably not a great one, although better in Atlanta than Oklahoma City. Bunch of misfits here. In Atlanta, at least you have larger # of people. Something else I did in Atlanta, which was a little scary, but good practice, was speed dating. I did get a date out of that, but I was also unemployed and felt bad about myself when I saw her driving a Lexus. I understand about catching up financially, trust me. Take your time then. At least you have time, unlike me.
It is an option. And I do understand that Atlanta's advantage is more people around. Another advantage is this. I have done meetup once. I've considered trying it again because I figured if it didn't work before, it might work again. One time I tried it, I was going back to school. It didn't work for me that time. I figured I'm older now, so it might work out this time.

One thing I've learned is this. Every time I spend extended amounts of time alone, it does things to my social interactions, such as an induced social awkwardness. When I made my return to college, at least I had a few friends left to make my return to school easier. At least then, I could get into a few things.

What I mean by catching up is this. I'm getting back into being around more people, and trying to find things to do on the weekends.This time around, I go to work, and go back home during the weekdays, and I'm mostly around people who are parents. Weekends vary. Sometimes I go to the bookstore, and in some cases I go to a sports bar. I live far away, and I don't relate to alot of people I live around (still live with parents for time being). For that reason, I go into the city to see what I can get into. One reason I ask about where single persons hitting 30 go to is because alot of people I know who are my age, persons I can relate to, are having kids, thus do not have alot of time, and prefer to be around other married people with kids.

One reason I don't move directly to Atlanta is because the rents are getting up there, and anywhere that's cheap, well, it isn't safe. Financially, there are some things I need to do. However, I don't need alot of money to have fun, just something I'm into. And if I can reconnect with a few old friends, that always helps. That is one thing I'm trying to do now.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM

52 posts, read 53,475 times
IMO I'm overweight and like old fashioned dating.

To CD, I lack confidence and I'm entitled.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:53 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,041 times
At 26 years old, I am completely stuck in my ways and love my life how it is. No woman telling me what to do or making me change. That's the overall reason for me.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
Because getting a geology degree is difficult enough and between that and work there just isn't much free time.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 PM

40 posts, read 26,232 times
Beauty standards keep on rising , people no longer care about morals it's all about looks , which i totally despise about our generation , i really appreciate someone who cares more about the inside rather than the outside , guess i'll always be single .

Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,323,898 times
Prayer is how I stayed single at this point...

...but that seems to be failing now.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:32 AM
SF

286 posts, read 323,927 times
I am single because I want to be, by choice. Yes I have my own reasons as well.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:33 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,891,719 times
When one is immature and young ,you think you can tame the world ,and when you fail you wish you had a time machine to undo the mistakes made.
Much like many of you young people, at first in life, I did not want to be married or have kids , but I got lonely and began reasoning that I needed some one to partner with me in life .
I had married some one that supposedly had the same interests and goals and I did initially.
Turns out not true.
So for 40+ years I bear the responsibility of the commitment, she is passed and now that I am alone ,I'm not sure I want to go through that again, especially at this age.
People will say any thing to be agreeable ,trying to win a mate, but if your not sticking with your word ,it's a false front that ends up backfiring. Honesty is too important.
Looking back it's sad really that an employer requires more information before hiring, than most people know about one another before getting married.
You'd think that after all these years, we as a society could learn something from that .
But the tendency is to make one's self an exception to the rule,, and when we do, it comes around and bites us firmly in the butt.
If you are young and single, and eventually do decide to find some one ,know that with out any shadow of doubt that person your looking at is actually living the lifestyle, that you are in pursuit of your self. Not just say so.
I likely won't look seriously any more, seeing many of the women my age are usually too desperate to divulge the truth.
But I'd actually like it if I was proven wrong ,in a positive way.
I do still try to disprove my theory ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.