Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:36 AM

6 posts, read 5,975 times

Advertisements

Reason I ask this question is that there is a guy at my church who just turned 40 years old. I turned 40 over the summer and am single. I am dating on and off but just looking for the right person. I know I have plenty of time. I have a good career and all and have the money to spend on anything that I want and I also save money.

Well back to this other guy he has been married for 6 years already and has 2 small children. A boy 18 months old and a daughter 3 1/2 years old already. I saw him this past weekend at my churches picnic. He looks like he really let himself go. I mean he has gray hair , and you can tell he put on weight because he is chunky in the face and a bit chunky and dresses to sloppy and is starting to get bad acne .

I on the other hand have no gray hair and I look a lot younger for my age . Some people find it hard to believe that I am 40. They think that I look more like in my late 20s into early 30s. I also keep in shape .

Question that I have did marriage make that one person start looking old and sloppy? It seems that like it does. I know that I would be a good person for a woman in her late 20s to mid 30 s want to date me right? Please help with your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregwinstem View Post
Reason I ask this question is that there is a guy at my church who just turned 40 years old. I turned 40 over the summer and am single. I am dating on and off but just looking for the right person. I know I have plenty of time. I have a good career and all and have the money to spend on anything that I want and I also save money.

Well back to this other guy he has been married for 6 years already and has 2 small children. A boy 18 months old and a daughter 3 1/2 years old already. I saw him this past weekend at my churches picnic. He looks like he really let himself go. I mean he has gray hair , and you can tell he put on weight because he is chunky in the face and a bit chunky and dresses to sloppy and is starting to get bad acne .

I on the other hand have no gray hair and I look a lot younger for my age . Some people find it hard to believe that I am 40. They think that I look more like in my late 20s into early 30s. I also keep in shape .

Question that I have did marriage make that one person start looking old and sloppy? It seems that like it does. I know that I would be a good person for a woman in her late 20s to mid 30 s want to date me right? Please help with your comments
If and when you ever have two toddlers in your house at the same time, all the time, you will find that there is often less time to focus on your appearance. There also have been scientific studies that show a correlation between stress, gray hair and acne.

Congratulations on your attractiveness. Only YOU know if you are actually a good person to date.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:41 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Having the pressures of supporting a family and children can do that to a person.

It certainly has done a number on my wife and I... not everyone has the same resources and support they need.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
No, marriage does not "make" someone turn old and sloppy. It is sad you need to compare yourself to someone else to feel good about yourself.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I didn't even meet my spouse until he was 40 (I was 35).

He's in good shape, it's a job requirement.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:48 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Gray hair= letting yourself go? Lol

Old 09-15-2015, 06:48 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregwinstem View Post

One could say the stresses of life can cause grey hairs. One can say that time constraints get in the way of best intentions. One can say people when they get older get lazier. None of these has anything to do with being married, because each of us handles life differently, and life can be equally as difficult for a single person.

Can't really answer the question per se. I'm 55 and people think I'm in my lower 40's. I've been working out regularly for over 1/2 my life. I stay as fit as I can and try to eat healthy. I just competed in two sprint triathlons recently and am training for the Army 10-Miler in October. Those are choices I make, and I enjoy the journey of fitness. Maybe it helps keep me young, yet I've read of many athletes dying of heart attacks, so what does it mean?

I attribute a lot of my looks though to DNA, as my parents always looked younger. I had 2 kids and now 2 grandkids. They are no more tiring than work or finances or anything else I deal with.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Having the pressures of supporting a family and children can do that to a person.

It certainly has done a number on my wife and I... not everyone has the same resources and support they need.

I've seen stress bring the best (looking) of them to their knees.

Glory and revel in it while you can! Come first major crisis (check out before and after pics of presidents) you'll be singing a different tune, and looking at a different self in the mirror.

Pride---yeah, it usually precedes a fall (of face).

Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 AM

6 posts, read 5,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Sounds very true because this guy was in good shape prior to getting married and was involved in a lot of activities. It seems that marriage and kids let the person go because I keep active and I am in shape and look younger than my age. Many people tell me that. It seems as marriage runs down a person to get gray hair at the age of 40? I am 40 and I don't have gray hair. I go bike riding a lot and do a lot of walking. It seems marriage does take a major toll because you have to consider wife and kids before anything else

Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Right? My spouse is dark haired with salt n' pepper, was when I met him. He looks good. He managed to attract midthirties me with no problem, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships